For Hire....

Started by Alazar is Back, December 06, 2011, 08:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alazar is Back

Whats going on in reg....? Well anyways I am back, and looking for a team to join up with. Let mehhhh know if you're interested.
Turbo Highest Rank:Co-Emperor with Wolf Snare, Emperor

One of the most underrated players at RWL..

Shadow

Lots of changes since you played last time! Have a look at the race chart, and these topics:

http://www.redwallwarlords.com/forums/index.php?topic=14618.0
http://www.redwallwarlords.com/forums/index.php?topic=12742.0
http://www.redwallwarlords.com/forums/index.php?topic=12545.0

the first one only applies to turbo (so far) the others have made it to reg. Let us know if you have questions!
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Alazar is Back

Very interesting, it is about darn time that RWL got some casher and farmer races in the game, I might have to try them out and see if they are as effective as other promisance sites. As far as the farmer strategy, I do kind of find it unfair that they can only keep 25% of their food on the market, unless you change that for that race, then they will not be able to compete at all solo...

Shadow

yea, farmer is not as competitive as I had hoped. However, hybrid farmer-indy with lizard is currently a solid solo strategy, so if you like farming you might want to try that one out as well.

Dark Claws

Just saying, my clan is open.
Welcome the most annoying person on Earth, oh look Dark Claws just walked in.

@(*_*)@. Either a monkey, or Princess Leai on drugs.

What happens when a permanent resident deletes their account?

Like an assistant

Alazar is Back

Quote from: Shadow on December 09, 2011, 06:49:39 AM
yea, farmer is not as competitive as I had hoped. However, hybrid farmer-indy with lizard is currently a solid solo strategy, so if you like farming you might want to try that one out as well.

I might try it, stats wise I wasnt impressed with the lizard for a hybrid, especially with the new market storing thing you put into effect....And I have won a few rounds a promi sites, by running a solo indy farmer hybrid...

Kilkenne

Quote from: Alazar is Back on December 10, 2011, 08:02:30 PM
I have won a few rounds a promi sites, by running a solo indy farmer hybrid...

were you the only one playing?

Shadow

There are places where indy can win, but they all have three things in common:

no open attack op
very low land yield on leader attacks
highly defensive troop types

the end result there is that an indier can lock land simply by scraping hard and then not losing much before getting maxxed. After a few runs of this the indier can build a bunch of huts (maybe 30% of their land) which is then enough to have a leader defense even against pure leaders because they are all so land starved.

Of course, the same thing can be done by a leader player, so most of the servers like that end up going to whoever manages to hold land for two runs in a row early in the round. Places like that, a solo player who does that can dominate a clan, even.

Most servers like that are now dead now.

All the promis I have played reinforce the idea that people stick around for the interaction rather than winning the game.

Kilkenne

Those three things can really be summed up into one thing: Their gamesets are defensive in nature. Ours at RWL's, however, is almost exclusively offensive in nature, which is nigh unheard of. We have some "defensive" races (Lizard for indies, Wolf for leaders), but it's just leaning into a howling wind and hoping for the best.

Alazar is Back

Well not exactly, the place where I won quite a few rounds as a hybrid indy farmer was at Valhall, and they had some players over there better then any here. I didnt need to do anything that you just posted about, I would indy and farm like normal throughout the round, usually selling my food on the public market to fund my indy runs. Then I would store up troops on the market the whole round, and then at the end I would attack and get as much land as possible and make a good run, and pull everything I had storehoused all round off the market. The market there was set up a little different though, it just showed the cheapest available goods, so you didnt know who you were buying from.

Firetooth

Just for some background info, all but 1 of these wins are on vintage, which has about >10members and 250turns, so thus there are few leaders as there isn't the turns. The other is on strategy, which is relatively impressive normally, but there was literally no competition that round, 5 other members, the second highest of which had 30mil net. (which was Ryu, funnily enough)

The wins on vintage had 7 and 5 competitors each, and none of them are the valhall vets alazar speaks of like scorpion, sevz etc. Not too do your achievements down Alazar, you've had plenty of good finishes there, but acting like indy is vastly more powerful elsewhere is silly. It is more potent in someplaces, but not to the extent you seem to be giving.

Also Shadow part the reason RWL is so successful is because it can piggyback off an existing franchise. Endrev had a thriving community and a ton of features, but it still died. The admins here do excellent work of course, but they'd have a much harder time if this was "random fantasy themed promi 10,000" or whatever. And whilst I do agree with you, valhall battle of the kings gets tons of members when it runs, and that's basically just about the finish, so it isn't necessarily all interaction. If the game itself is unbalanced or the teams are unbalanced, people won't play.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Shadow

I have to disagree with the last point. Most of the >5 year vets haven't discussed RWL much, nor did they join for it. I love the books, but my joining had nothing to do with that. People stay because the other people are interesting.

Firetooth

WHat I mean is a huge reason RWL gets as many new members because of the books. Obviously kind donations for the ads and such help, but ultimately most people found RWL the way I did, from another redwall site or through googling redwall game. We have a lot new players currently who are still enthusiastic about the series. For players to stay in the community they first need to be introduced into it.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Durza

Very true, very true.  An introduction to the Redwall Universe is important to joining the game.  Beyond that it turns into getting to meet people in the community and make friendships while learning the game.
Question Mark (?)
Life is chaos, some of it is just more orderly.
Not liable for anything a Spa mod may change in my posts

Muse

Stop! Don't touch me there,
this is my private square!