Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you like better?

Istanbul (Not Constantinople)
2 (33.3%)
Whiskey In the Jar
4 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Gen. Volkov

Well, Flogging Molly has won 3 in a row, so it is going to be officially retired. Two new ones this week, and to get away from the Hard Rock/Punk theme, here's a folk song and an alternative song.

First off, it's "Istanbul (Not Constantinople) by  "They Might Be Giants". Oh and do listen to the whole song.

They Might Be Giants - Istanbul (Not Constantinople)

And the classic Irish Folk Song: Whiskey in the Jar, performed by "The Dubliners"

The Dubliners - Whiskey in the jar
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Peace Alliance

ahahahah! YES! finally some good tunes!

I voted for Istanbul because of the good times I've had listening to that song. I first heard it at my summer camp oh... 8 years ago? I was a camper, i think, at the youth camp. We have a "theme night" at our camp, where the dining hall is transformed into another world. That summer it was the labyrinth! Oh how much none sense that was! hahaha, the whole thing was a maze. It was awesome. And there was (as there always is) lots of dancing to hilarious music, Istanbul being one of the songs.

Of course, Whiskey in the Jar is the kind of song that has to come with it's own story. Probably something along the lines of a good time in an irish pub.... What a strange venue for the dubliners?? They're supposed to be in an 'ol pub! A dimply lit place where every knows each other and the beer's brewed inhouse... This makes me want to go visit Kell... Or go back out east! ahhh the awesome fake Irish music they play on the east coast!

Gen. Volkov

QuoteProbably something along the lines of a good time in an irish pub....

Actually its about a highwayman (a thief who targeted travelers) who is betrayed by his lover/wife Molly.

Anyway, I thought you'd appreciate a departure from hard rock/metal. I'll try and keep the theme going for awhile. Of course, any suggestions would be welcome. I was going to put up one of the two against Flogging Molly, until I realized it had been three in a row.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Peace Alliance

Wait, why would a song about a highwayman /not/ fit in an irish pub?

Gen. Volkov

It would fit, but it's not a song about good times.