Fifa world cup

Started by abartell, July 17, 2011, 05:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abartell

If you watched the women's world cup and were unhappy about the outcome post your angry thoughts here
I'm really a squirrel but don't tell any one

Neobaron

I actually enjoyed the game.

Picked US and Japan to go to the final, but did have the US winning.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

abartell

I must disown all the japanese friends I don't have and be angry at the rest of my asian friends.

Firetooth

Football is a joke of a sport. Everybody knows Fifa is up for the highest bidder. See the Qatar bid for the world cup...an anti-semetic (Jews aren't allowed in iirc), sexist, homophobic (I think it's actually illegal) country does not represent the w0rld. Moreover, it's so hot they're thinking of dividing the matches into three. Plus, Qatar isn't known for much interest in football leagues.

Qatar is, co-incidentally, rich and swimming in oil. Nothing to do with them winning the bid, though.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

abartell

Quote from: Firetooth on July 19, 2011, 10:08:09 AM
Jee, overreaction much? It's just a sport.

Moreover, a joke of a sport. Everybody knows Fifa is up for the highest bidder. See the Qatar bid for the world cup...an anti-semetic (Jews aren't allowed in iirc), sexist, homophobic (I think it's actually illegal) country does not represent the w0rld. Moreover, it's so hot they're thinking of dividing the matches into three. Plus, Qatar isn't known for much interest in football leagues.

Qatar is, co-incidentally, rich and swimming in oil. Nothing to do with them winning the bid, though.

Actually we were one of the top competition for Quatar, they were thinking about using Batimore, Ravens Stadium they have been doing practice/ friendly matches there to see how well we can support a large group of soccer fans.( We  being USA)
Well they proved that it would work here through an AC Milan (An italian team) vs. Chelsea ( A british team) I went to it I am an AC Milan, but Chelsea won 2-1.

Neobaron

Quotecountry does not represent the w0rld

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion#Religious_movements

nope.jpg

---

Also this;

QuoteJee, overreaction much? It's just a sport.

Contradicts the rest of your post.

Are you really uptight IRL?

Firetooth

Quote from: Neobaron on July 19, 2011, 11:37:38 AM
Quotecountry does not represent the w0rld

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion#Religious_movements

nope.jpg

---

Also this;

QuoteJee, overreaction much? It's just a sport.

Contradicts the rest of your post.

Are you really uptight IRL?
I fail to see your first point. Religion isn't relevant. What is relevant is their human rights record.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Qatar

So, are gay people not allowed to view th world cup? How can a country that is prejudice against groups such as these host an event aimed at all? I just can't get over how you can honestly think that is acceptable.

Quote from: abartell on July 19, 2011, 08:44:25 AM
I must disown all the japanese friends I don't have and be angry at the rest of my asian friends.
How is that not an overreaction? Unless they were joking, it's hard to tell from the tone.
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Neobaron

Don't blame the nation or its people for the accident of birth. Religion dictates the injustice you percieve. Not the poor bastards who are born into it and know no other way.

---

QuoteHow is that not an overreaction?

I chuckled.

Because it was a joke.

Firetooth

Quote from: Neobaron on July 19, 2011, 12:20:21 PM
Don't blame the nation or its people for the accident of birth. Religion dictates the injustice you percieve. Not the poor bastards who are born into it and know no other way.

---

QuoteHow is that not an overreaction?

I chuckled.

Because it was a joke.
I realized it was a joke on the second read through lol.

I was born into religion. I'm not homophobic. Just because you're born into religion doesn't mean it defines you, or that you are a slave to it's decrees. Moreover, my problem isn't with the common people anyway. The authority of the country has homophobic laws which are unacceptable. I'm not going to argue with you, because it's not a question of "if" it's acceptable for them to host the event, it's a question of how unacceptable is it.

The country may be islamic, but that doesn't make their stance any less wrong. We should not be letting them host this event.

If black people were not allowed in the country, people would care, but as it's just those homosexuals, people don't care or excuse their behaviour because it's part of their religion.

Also, there are emails saying Qatar brought the bid for crying out loud.

Shadow

It was definitely a joke.

Anyway, homophobia is still pretty prevalent even in the west. The fact that presidential candidates can actually gain support based on an anti LGBT rights platform is proof of that. Not that it makes things excusable there, of course, but just to point out that most of the world is still pretty far from equality.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Firetooth

Yeah, I misread it. Apologies.  :-[

Of course. But by hosting it in a country where it is illegal, it takes a step towards saying homophobia is acceptable if it's part of your religous/social beliefs.

Neobaron

QuoteHow is that not an overreaction? Unless they were joking, it's hard to tell from the tone.

It was a joke.

You can trust me on that.

---

You were born into religion, but religion does not define your country. In most islamic nations, it does. That is the difference and why you cannot blame the people of Qatar - rich or poor - for what you percieve as intolerance.

What you're doing is akin to blaming a cancer patient for the spread of their cancer.  

Firetooth

Indeed it does not. But my area is largely christian, in primary school church visits were common. It's not the same, of course.

As I said, I'm not blaming the common people so much. More the people with power.

Quote from: Neobaron on July 19, 2011, 12:31:21 PM

What you're doing is akin to blaming a cancer patient for the spread of their cancer.  

...not really. As I said, I'm not "blaming" them so much, just criticizing their views...it's not necessarily their fault, but changes in human rights won't happen if people keep their views because they are what is "the norm." It's ridiculous to say every white Americna pre-1960's was an evil KKK member, but by inaction they allowed the mistreatement of black americans.

Besides, this isn't relevant. As I said, a country which does not allow certain social groups in it is not representative of the world. End of.

Neobaron

And my point is that it is representative of the world.

Firetooth

Quote from: Neobaron on July 19, 2011, 12:41:55 PM
And my point is that it is representative of the world.
No it's not.

Maybe it's representative of some world views, but if it does not allow homosexuals and is opposed to Jews, then it is not an accurate representation of the world.