Debate on grammer and spelling

Started by Abby The Rat, May 13, 2003, 03:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abby The Rat

This have popped up all over the forum and it was time that it put into one topic.

What do you think about bad grammer and spelling and how should it be dealt with?

Oldbie to newbie, YOUR opinion is wanted........

While this is a debate, flaming is not allowed.
Not around, please ignore.

Could be found on discord: [https://discord.gg/9CkfKWD]

TR Shadow

I don't have many feelings about it.  Methinks it should be corrected, but no penalties should be given out.  If there were penalties, I'd be in trouble =P.

Sha

Hrm. I'm all for good grammar and spelling, though I've got pretty stinky grammar myself. I tend to be lazy online. However, I believe at least trying to spell decently is a good thing. I really dislike the use of "u" and other shortenings of words. It doesn't take that much longer to type you from u and two from 2. But. I guess it's whatever floats your boat. =D

windhound

meh, it doesnt take an awful amount of time to just do it right the first time, speelin lik ths rally irks me, but I spose to each his own...  maybe somone should add a spell checker to the forum, that would be neat...  it would also create little escuse for bad spelling, grammer on the other hand...  
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Menatus

QuoteThis forums is part of the RWL game and all rules from RWL applies. There are some added rules that only apply to this forums.

To avoid confustion, I am listing the rules for the forums below.

1. No Profanity allowed including use of @$$ and f***, these will not be allowed

2.Only Redwall type insults are allowed

3. The uses of gay are not allowed

4.Spamming are not allowed. Including one line post (A line that have less then 5 words) unless it has a strong point.

5.No flaming

6.Do not add more topics on the topics that is already there. One in each forum is the upmost limit

7.Advertising for games not affiliated or associated with RWL or the RWL's Team are not allowed

This rules can be changed at the whim of the admins and mods.

The punishment will start with a warning then penalites.

The penalites will increase and can include ban from the forum and post reset.

You have been warned.

If we're doing THAT...

These forums are a part of the RWL game and all rules from RWL apply. There are some added rules that only apply to these forums.

To avoid confustion, I am listing the rules for the forums below.

1. No profanity allowed including use of @$$ and f***, these will not be allowed.

2. Only Redwall type insults are allowed.

3. The uses of homosexual banter, e.g. gay, dude, etc is not allowed.

4. Spamming is not allowed. Including one line posts (A line that has less then 5 words) unless it has a strong point.

5. No flaming.

6. Do not add more topics on the topics that are already there. One in each forum is the upmost limit

7. Advertising for games not affiliated or associated with RWL or the RWL's Team are not allowed.

This rules can be changed at the whim of the admins and mods.

The punishment will start with a warning then penalites.

The penalites will increase and can include ban from the forum and post reset.

You have been warned.

Sorry, just fixing some grammatical errors.

wolf bite

Good point Menatus, assuming you were making a point.

To what grade level do we expect people to write at?  Do we only allow Casual, Standard, or Formal writing style?  Must every post be perfect?

Again, I state that overly sloppy writing should be frowned on (but not punished), however minor spelling and grammar should be overlooked.  We all have better things to do then retype someone else?s post.  No one should have to take the time to make sure everything in a post is perfect.  However, at least a fast read of one?s own words before the ?submit? button is pushed would be nice.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

CoolClaw

I think Wolf Bite is right and if someone spells a word wrong but you can tell what it is, who cares?  Also if someone misuses there,their, etc.  You still know what they mean right?  So eev nif someone types really bad on this forum I can still read them.  

P.S. What"s flaming?
"Ever since using Strongbad's Ab- Abber 2000, the ladies have been all up ons"
-Strongsad

Lend me some sugar, I am your neigbor!

Whats cooler than bein cool? ICE COLD!
Shake it like a Polroid Picture!

Ruatine

Good spelling and grammar make the forums much more readable and enjoyable. I don't like having to sift through somebody's post trying to figure out what a certain word is suppose to mean or where a sentence starts and stops.

it cn get reely anoyin...u no?

Not very many people on these forums post at that extremely low level, but there are a few who do. Basic spelling and grammatical errors I can ignore, but posts like that "sentence" I just wrote above are just absolutely ridiculous.  
"Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace, The soul that knows it not, knows no release from little things." - A. Earhart

calria

You all know what I think, pretty much, but I'll add it in for everyone's mutual reference.

Spelling:
If the word looks basically alright, I don't really care. Switching "i" and "e" in some words, spelling things like they sound, and typos really don't bother me at all, unless it's obvious that the person didn't care at all. I know that I don't spell perfectly all of the time either.

Punctuation:
Basic punctuation is all I ask. Yeah, I use colons and dashes and "higher-level" punctuation, but all I really ask is that when you're asking a question, you use a question mark, when it's needed, use a comma, and when it's the end of a sentence, use a period. Second-grade English, boys and girls. Why not use what we already know? I'm pretty sure nobody on here is under 6 years of age.

Capitalization:
Sentences start with capital letters. The word "I" should be capitalized. Not that big of a deal, I realise, but still- how hard is it REALLY to push a shift key down?

Grammar:
Grammar is what really gets to me... Read what you're about to post aloud in your head. If it doesn't "sound right," figure out what's wrong and change it. Better yet, say what you're typing as you type it. I speed-read on the forums, and bad grammar slows me down a whole lot- I've trained myself to speed read at approximately 10 pages per minute of average type, but bad grammar confuses me and I have to stop and re-read. I'm just not particularly used to it in a typed or visual context.

The only time I will get super-strict is if I dislike their ideas, viewpoints, or attitudes. Then, my corrections are a personal commentary as well.

Other than that, I really don't care.

Badrang the Tyrant

Go Cal!  I am all for the Spelling and Grammatical Error thing.  Could there be like official "Forum Police" that make sure people don't do this:  can i b-cum a 4-um po-po man?

Abby The Rat

Granted that mistakes will always be made, but people who go all l88t, just make it hard and only prove that they don't have the brains to correct them selves.

A forum should be read like a book, not like a chat room where speed is important. A forum you have time to correct you own mistakes or at least try.
Not around, please ignore.

Could be found on discord: [https://discord.gg/9CkfKWD]