Promisance

Started by pippin the mighty, January 23, 2008, 11:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firetooth

Quote from: Death on April 12, 2008, 11:20:42 PM
I don't see what me posting the IP matters when I didn't post the username to match, and everyone here can get the IP with like 3 clicks, but fair enough, sorry.

And they made a childish edit to Wolf Bites' profile, that shouldn't even exist. I mean if Wolf doesn't mind it existing now that's great, but otherwise... yeah. Not a huge deal either way, he can handle it.
My brother edited wolf bites profile if you read back so if you're that bothered you'll be blocking me off as well...though not like I care :P

And I do not beleieve there is a large community of computer nerds focusing on wrecking our profiles, just a few who (aren't nerds lol) who like to use the wiki to insult our site. You're not really one of them, you just used it to insult wolf bite a ton...

And I just copied and pasted volkov's profile from somewhere else, I was bored  :P
Quote from: The Obliterator on April 12, 2008, 10:51:22 PM
What did they edit
Sharptooth made a pointless edit, something like "emp at 10 sites at once" its been changed to admin at rwl now though.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Sharptooh

Quote from: Death on April 12, 2008, 11:20:42 PM
I don't see what me posting the IP matters when I didn't post the username to match, and everyone here can get the IP with like 3 clicks, but fair enough, sorry.

And they made a childish edit to Wolf Bites' profile, that shouldn't even exist. I mean if Wolf doesn't mind it existing now that's great, but otherwise... yeah. Not a huge deal either way, he can handle it.
Ok it was me, I apoligise for editing it I was in a bad mood and was really ticked off about all of this I think I wrote something like:

Wolf Bite

'Widely regarded as the best player of promisance for holding emperorship of various different prominisance games at once, it was rumored he held 10 emperorships at once, many have tried to top this but none have managed this (especially Death)'

Not sure if that's exactly how it went if you have it death post it.

Sorry for letting you guy's down  :(

Ban me if you want from the wiki

Peace Alliance

I think Death should take into consideration that you guys are kids, and don't really take the wiki as seriously as he does.

Firetooth

Quote from: Peace Alliance on April 13, 2008, 10:51:55 AM
I think Death should take into consideration that you guys are kids, and don't really take the wiki as seriously as he does.
LOL, he takes it seriously only cos sharptooth insulted his ability on wolf bites profile, he didn't care about making wolf bite's profile look smart...and yea I never took it very seriously, I didn't mind the average edits on alot of the profiles, I agree it fits better then skilled, but doing four or so profiles in a row makes you not as inventive with words ::)
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Death

Sharptooth, I wouldn't worry, just try not to make pointless edits like that. The main thins is that Wolf threatened to sue over the content in his profile, and adding it back without his consent is kinda.. not too good of an idea.

Firetooth, you just proved a point to me. I guess you don't know what happened with the Wiki then, but I didn't add any untrue content, I simply removed sourceless things, and I'll leave it at that. Wolf and I were over it as soon as it began, just because we don't get along doesn't mean you need to try to show off.

Peace, you wouldn't care because you're not working on it, but when I spend my time on it adding content and someone just goes around making stupid edits, I am going to bring it up.

It's not him insulting me, I don't care what he thinks, it's the fact that he's trashing the Wiki that people are spending time on. I mean we all have better things to do.

Whoops I forgot to mention one thing. About my uncreative edits, you bet. I'm not going to bother making people happy with their profiles if they don't care to follow the same rules as everyone else. Everyone gets the same generic edit.

wolf bite

But you only check if RWL people need an edit.

Thus the reason why no one wants to play on the wiki.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Death

I go down the list in alphabetical order once every week or two editing everyone with content that is clearly in violation of the guidelines. Look at the edits I make if you're curious, I've edited Valhall players, FAF players, WGZ players, EndRev players, etc.

I don't know who you get these ideas from, but they're a very inaccurate source. And the Wiki is not something to "play" on.

wolf bite

I get these ideas because it is true. There is tracking on the site. The edits done to RWL players had been removing anything you don't like. The edits you do to people from other sites is simply adding the words "considered" before their claim.

Relic vandalized our people, you knew about it, and approved it at the time. I don't see you enforcing the rules concerning his actions which should get him banned!

If you can't be impartial, then don't do anything.

Why do you come here just to start fights?  The answer is right in what you wrote on you page "He is usually involved in some form of argument with other players partly because he can have a condescending tone, but mostly because he gets bored and starts them."

The only one having fun with this is you. You are enforcing informal rules that you and your buddies created, not any rules made by the site admin. You then keep taunting our site with your presence as you throw your actions in our faces. Yes, I think that you are PLAYING on the wiki and I don't think it is a fun game.

Attempting to have a discussion with you is like talking to a wall. You do not see any point of view but your own and keep repetitively repeating it.  This topic is real close to being closed and will be the first time I will have closed a topic because it is "repetitive and boring."

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite

Death

All I have edited on anyone, RWL or not, was the exact same thing. I add the word "considered" and change around the wording in that one area to make it a proper sentence. You can check the logs, it's there for anyone to see. Wait no there were a few other things, like players trying to insult one another, I edited those too.

Yeah Relic did, and I removed "average" from the profiles that it was still on. At least I think I got to them all. I don't ban people from the Wiki, and I have no ability to.

I don't see how I'm being biased, I make the same edits to everyone.

I'm just trying to clear the situation up, because people here are quite obviously confused. I mean I think I know what I do and why I do it a little better than you would.

They are not informal rules, they are listed on the site. I am not playing, I am enforcing the guidelines.

And no, I do see your point of view. You just can't seem to understand it no matter how many times I explain it to you. The profiles I edit are in clear violation. Feel free to lock this though, the less times people send me links to this thread the better.

btw

Quote1. Keep you to facts. Avoid claims as "the best player....", "a very skilled player", etc. Let the history of the player do the talking.
2. Avoid personal opinions. "Like <whoever> is considered by the greatest player all the time". There can't be something that can prove anything like this. Let the results do the talking, and let the people reading the results make their own opinion.
3. Try to keep it non biased.
4. If you have a controversial opinion that you feel is needed in the wiki, find something that can back it up.

Quote from the guidelines listed on the Wiki.

wolf bite

Please note the word "AVOID" which does not mean that those words can't be used. Besides, that rule was NOT put in by the admin, but wiki added after you edited my page. 

However the site Admin did make these rules:

•  1. Be respectful of others work.
•  2. If you vandalize work you will be banned.

Your opinion that someone else's work is wrong is no reason to change it. I don't think you get the idea of the wiki. Please follow the rules.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite

Death

They are recently added guidelines. Just because they haven't always been there doesn't mean they don't count. Changing something from opinion to fact is not disrespectful imo, and I never vandalized anything.

I had a perfect reason to change it, it wasn't even a huge change so I don't see why it's such a touchy subject. But I think I get it perfectly, I mean the only people who complain are the ones who had "is a skilled player" in their profiles.

a·void     Audio Help   /əˈvɔɪd/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-void] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object)
1.   to keep away from; keep clear of; shun: to avoid a person; to avoid taxes; to avoid danger.
2.   to prevent from happening: to avoid falling.
3.   Law. to make void or of no effect; invalidate.
4.   Obsolete. to empty; eject or expel.

bjornredtail

"You are enforcing informal rules that you and your buddies created, not any rules made by the site admin...." Isn't this the whole point of a wiki? Minimal central authority.

Take a look at the recent activity page... He's doing plenty to other persons' profiles. I really don't see some vast conspiracy to trash RWL here. I just don't. Which makes this whole line of arguing little more than a personal attack. So, Death is a poor editor? So what? Does mean that he has been putting up false informations or injecting a point of view into an article where none previously existed? I don't see any evidence of that kind of activity.

On a similar point, I have only been editing articles relating to RWL and FAF. Does this make me biased? Or do I simply choose not to edit what I don't know about? It's not fair to consider some one biased one way or another by simply looking where his attention is focused.

Point number 3, is if you have information that you would like to contribute, you are free to edit the wiki yourself.

"Relic vandalized our people, you knew about it, and approved it at the time. I don't see you enforcing the rules concerning his actions which should get him banned!"
Um... Death isn't really an admin over there, (at least I don't think). That and banning someone is harder than it looks, as you should know. Particularly when no user registration is required.

"Your opinion that someone else's work is wrong is no reason to change it. I don't think you get the idea of the wiki. Please follow the rules."
Yes it is... It totally is. Your opinion on the subject matter is no reason to change it, but your opinion on the work is the perfect reason to change it.

On a side point, I fail to see the point of player profiles. Players in general are so transient. They migrate, they stop playing only to start again many years later. It would be impossible to keep it up to date. And most of the time, it wouldn't really matter. Individual players are simply not that influential, even on small games, like FAF. I'd delete all profiles that are not of a staffer, or otherwise noteworthy. Same goes for clans.

Oh well... I've got some code to write.
0==={=B=J=O=R=N=R=E=D=T=A=I=L==>
AKA, Nevadacow
First person to ever play RWL

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Visit http://frostnflame.org today!

Death

Shadow and Firetooth, I was just sent links to your profiles, do you really think trolling Relic is something appropriate to have in the Wiki?

wolf bite

Nevada, Thank you for making some good points that can be discussed.

The main thing you said which is the underlining factor is that you have been doing a lot of good up keeping concerning sites you are familiar with and people you are familiar with.  I am sure that everything you have changed has caused only thanks. Death does not play on this site, does not know the people, but feels a right to make changes. I don't see people thanking him, just asking him to stop.  He really should not be the one jumping in to edit people's pages.

I agree that Death has been recently editing people's pages besides RWL.  But that does not mean he is respecting the work of others and is not over doing his editing. Pages ago I this topic I pointed out a bunch of information that had the same "violations," I don't see those being changed. 

I know that Death is not on their staff and cannot ban someone. The concept about Relic is that if Death really cared about the rules, he would be demanding they be enforced even against his friends.

I have no want to enter information because I have cause to believe that people with animosity will vandalize my work.

As far as the rules being changed, it depends when they were.  Yes, it is nice in theory to have the community regulate itself. However when a few decide on the rules, enforce the rules they made, then when they are called on acting without authority they change the rules to justify their past actions, it is simply wrong.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite

Death

Show me where people are calling themselves skilled. The ones you listed before have been edited, I believe.

I don't need to know the players here to know that calling themselves skilled is not allowed. I mean am I actually supposed to take you guys seriously when NOBODY has complained about anything except for people who had rule violations in their profile?

As far as I am aware, the rules were approved by the Admin. I mean if they weren't there everyone would be calling themselves great players.

For the record though, I never made any of those rules and they were added around February. And they were not to justify anyones' past actions, I mean even when I edited your profile it was deemed appropriate by the Admin and other editors, which is why your profile remained the way it was until it was removed.