Promisance

Started by pippin the mighty, January 23, 2008, 11:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pippin the mighty

Can anyone name  the websites for others? thanks

wolf bite

Look what I found, a wiki for prom games.

http://promisance.info/index.php/Main_Page

If I knew this was around, I had forgotten.  It lists a ton of the games and lots of facts about the game.  I like this part:

"Wolf Bite is one of the most famous and greatest Promisance players in the history of the games yet sticks to Redwall: Warlords. he is the author of the 33 page Promisance tutorial called Wolf Bite's Journal. Because he now understands how everything in the game works and has won so many times he is now retired and now works as the main admin for Redwall: Warlords."  Hehe

Lots of cool stuff on this site. I have no idea who wrote it all, but they seem to have spent a lot of time.

Promisance is the name for an open source MMOG game which was created by Paul C. Purgett (aka Blackhawk), with a long line of derivatives which have spawned an unknown number of sites hosting them. It is written in PHP and uses MySQL for database operations. In these derivatives, there is much cultural diversity. Each has its own playing style, effects, and playing community.
The concept of the game came from Earth: 2025, an early empire-level text-base MMOG. It took roughly 6 months to develop the first version. Two early derivatives of the PC Purgett's Promisance were EZClan Promisance and Nuitari's Promisance. EZClan Promisance was written by Inferno and Mambo.
In late spring and summer of 2001, Morvandium and Quietust developed QM Promisance. The decision to develop their own version of Promisance came after public arguments on the EZClan forums about the nature of open source code, and after they posted information on numerous bugs and design improvements, some of which were used, many of which were ignored, and for which little or no acknowledgement was given. It was also at this time that EZClan no longer released updated versions of their code as they implemented changes. In late summer of 2001 beta testing began on QM Promisance, and in September 2001, QM Productions went public. Thrustaevis later joined the QM Productions team, and QM Productions became QMT Productions. The game QM Promisance never changed its name. QM Promisance was written by Morvandium and Quietust and based on the EZClan Promisance code written by Inferno and Mambo.
QM Promisance always remained open source, besides the highly advanced version of it called Epicurus. Because of its open nature, many developers out there downloaded it and placed it on their own site.
QM Promisance's code structure was more streamlined, replacing much repetitive code with functions than EZClan. QM Promisance also contained hundreds of more comments than the EZClan code. Many variables were renamed, giving them more intuitive names. QM Promisance also included a highly technical game guide (primarily written by Morvandium) that was included with the code. For these reasons, and perhaps others, QM Promisance is the base of the vast majority of the current versions of Promisance.
Many developers such as Tom "Inferno" Finnell, Jordan "Mambo" Heine, Rob "Morvandium" Kellner, "Quietust", Brian "Thrustaevis" Nowak, "Xero", Dave "Westie" West, and Sami "m3mn0n" Fouad have contributed to the efforts.
Purgett release Promisance 4, based on a the QM Promisance code, in June 2002. The most recent version was released in June of 2004.
The EZClan line was sold to a man known as Cobra and then became the "Barbwire Promisance". A developer of Barbwire left to form WC, which later was renamed to "WGZ Promisance". Barbwire after months of mismanagement was dead and many of those players flocked to WGZ Promisance which now was the only version on the internet based on EZClan.
Presently, the original QM Promisance is still being actively played by many and developed, WGZ is being actively played by many and developed, and many QMT clones are popping up all over the internet.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

pippin the mighty

Quote from: wolf bite on January 23, 2008, 12:40:03 PM

“Wolf Bite is one of the most famous and greatest Promisance players in the history of the games yet sticks to Redwall: Warlords. he is the author of the 33 page Promisance tutorial called Wolf Bite's Journal. Because he now understands how everything in the game works and has won so many times he is now retired and now works as the main admin for Redwall: Warlords.”  Hehe

Thats awsome, alot of people know you on the internet, so i guess you internet famous =)!

And i didnt understand much of that long paragraph, it was just numbers and wierd symbols to me =(  Have you ever made a promisance game yourself?

wolf bite

I know nothing about coding.  I am just a very good player that knows how to get the most out of every turn.  At one time I was on a lot of other games, taking their top spot.  But redwall has always been home, I like the people and how people play the game here.  I watch people play because I know what can not be done, so I catch more cheaters, keeps my home a better place for people to visit.

Without sounding like an ego trip, I have been told that many people have come here to play because they knew my name from other sites.  Kind of like having a movie star hang out in a restaurant and people come to the restaurant to see the movie star.  Sure over time since I don't play, I am much less known then others that make a name for themselves every day. Better to let my name be the Legendary Master of the Proms that people debate if some new master could take me on, then try to reprove my abilities constantly.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite

pippin the mighty

Lol, pretty much so i guess =-) Although you dont act or get your stunt double to jump of buildings, you do it yourself =P
I will eat my socks when someone comes to redwall cause of me, and yeah, i'll run outa socks quickly! And is coding complicated?

Alazar is Back

Quote from: pippin the mighty on January 23, 2008, 01:53:33 PM
Lol, pretty much so i guess =-) Although you dont act or get your stunt double to jump of buildings, you do it yourself =P
I will eat my socks when someone comes to redwall cause of me, and yeah, i'll run outa socks quickly! And is coding complicated?

Coding is very complicated.

Quote from: wolf bite on January 23, 2008, 01:45:36 PM
I know nothing about coding.  I am just a very good player that knows how to get the most out of every turn.  At one time I was on a lot of other games, taking their top spot.  But redwall has always been home, I like the people and how people play the game here.  I watch people play because I know what can not be done, so I catch more cheaters, keeps my home a better place for people to visit.

Without sounding like an ego trip, I have been told that many people have come here to play because they knew my name from other sites.  Kind of like having a movie star hang out in a restaurant and people come to the restaurant to see the movie star.  Sure over time since I don't play, I am much less known then others that make a name for themselves every day. Better to let my name be the Legendary Master of the Proms that people debate if some new master could take me on, then try to reprove my abilities constantly.

Wolf Bite

At valhall everyone there seems to think that Mawerick is the best ever Promi player of course.

I have always liked redwall alot more then anywhere else and i have tried quite a few of the other promi games....
Turbo Highest Rank:Co-Emperor with Wolf Snare, Emperor

One of the most underrated players at RWL..

wolf bite

I feel that even more important then the game code is the attitude of the players, and that attitude is made by those running the site.

Here we have wolf bite, Peace, and Shael.  All helpful polite people that calmly guide members to respectable interaction.  This makes our people great, which make it great for new people to become part of the community.

ValHall has Maw, who is assessable and puts a lot of work in.  I have only talked to Maw about 5 times, but can call him a good friend with my respect.

FAF has many of our players (who are all great people) helping on their staff. You would know a lot of people the moment you logged in.

Methos is a kind gentle guy that really wants things to work right.  I am sure when he gets his next game up he will have great people. (I think he is making an international language game).

On the other hand (personal opinion), QM Prom seems to have angry inaccessible staff.  The players seem more to want to get their aggression about life out on other people, like a bunch of bullies picking on the nice people.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite

Shade

Quote from: Alazar is Back on January 23, 2008, 02:15:17 PM
Coding is very complicated.

Actually I find it rather easy, it looks complicated when you first get into it, but you soon find it's mostly because coders seem fond of using extremely large words to describe simple functions. Fairly easy to learn for someone who really wants to figure it out.

windhound

Thats silly Shade
Yes, a good portion of php you can look at and get a good idea of what its doing
But writing it is an entirely different matter.  Security, making it so things dont break, stability, making it lean so each page loads quickly and is less a burden on the server....  Not easy.  Not for anything remotely complex.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

bjornredtail

Meh... I'm inclined to agree with him. It's PHP, not assembly. No compiling, no memory management (want to change the size of an array? No problem! Try doing that with C...), a rather simple syntax, and you don't even have to worry about what datatype your variables are (except for when you deal with the DB).

With regards to Promisance, you have a bunch of old, and possibly buggy code and limiting data structures to worry about. So, that make things a bit more complicated.
0==={=B=J=O=R=N=R=E=D=T=A=I=L==>
AKA, Nevadacow
First person to ever play RWL

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Visit http://frostnflame.org today!

Peace Alliance

the guys who made that wiki ran it for like... 15 days, and haven't updated it since. They also haven't responded to any of my e mails or anything...

Anyone remember when i had Promisource.tk? that was a wicked website, lol. If i had received as much activity as that promi wiki, i definately wouldn't have stopped running it, hehe.

QMT is my fav non-rwl promi... FaF is also good, of course. used to be a promi game would sprout up like twice a month. the source from most promisance websites are all out of date now though, and i think MMORPG's have lost most of their craze.

lonewolf1817

can u kindaly explain ur language for us lay ppl. can u give detail about otehr game types and how they operate for a general understanding
When you have done soemthing right, no one will know you have done anything at all

pippin the mighty

Yeah, I agree with whatever he said! =p

What did you mean lonewolf?

windhound

only if you'll type in proper english lonewolf :P

promi- the type of game this is, promisance.  Its a free, open source game...  meaning that anyone can take the code to use and modify, as long as they release their modifications.  thus the game is improved
QM- formerly QMT...  T got the boot for something, I think he was cheating...  they dont seem to like to talk about him.   Another promi, the players are a little, er.  more hostile?  aggressive?
FAF- splitoff from RWL a long while back...  they have the opposite problem as RWL, several active coders but very few players..  RWL has a few more players but has a problem keeping an active coder.  Forum is still reasonably active, decent folk
PHP- web coding language, what promisance is written in

All the games are generally the same.  Most have different themes, but the goal is the same.  Be sure to check out a game's help system, as there are generally additions or modifications made that will effect your strategy

btw, nev, going to have to disagree.  there's nothing exactly difficult about spewing out code, sure.  but you helped code FAF, you know the pitfalls and funness that is PHP.  FAF had a server go odd for no apparent reason and it had to be locked for a good amount of time.
Phpbb had the reputation of being a rather insecure forum for a while, not sure if they're better now, but they had a decent amount of people working on it and it still wasnt all that secure
RWL has some functions in it that prove rather weighty on the server, thus the reason we keep triggering the cpu limit. 
Making good, stable php code takes a good amount of effort, and I'm not sure I'd call it easy.
It can be faster and easier than coding in C or programming an LC3, but that doesnt make it not complicated
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

pippin the mighty

Lol, that was... hard to take in. Im not sure i should join these convosations!