RAKEFUR IS 8% PIRATE 90% SMACK TALK AND 2% STOOPID
Quote from: Kilkenne on January 30, 2012, 08:23:56 PM
"I want in. Only I want to be a nazi."-Rakefur 2012

Camaclue

I feel all alone, choosing none of the above only.  :-[
Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II on November 12, 2012, 09:10:32 PM
ey M8 ur cheeky i swear ill wreck ur [poop]

Krowdon

I've made 3 kills by myself, and Assisted in one kill.... two maybe.

But I myself have never been killed.
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Preußen

Krowdon

what happens if you're killed and you try and log in? do you get a message saying you're dead or something? Or does it say your account doesnt exist?
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Kilkenne

As far as I know, I hold the round kill record with 17.

Gen. Volkov

... I've played duels rounds. I have never lost a duels round. I once killed someone while they were online.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Uiblis

Quote from: Gen. Volkov on September 23, 2011, 12:37:05 AM
... I've played duels rounds. I have never lost a duels round. I once killed someone while they were online.

XD
I love bad [berries] that's my [fruity] problem

Rakefur

wow.  :o
Quote from: Pippin on October 13, 2011, 04:40:07 PM

windhound

lol Volky, "Come on, turns, come on..."

Killed, been apart of kill runs, and have been killed

You play here long enough, it happens.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Rakefur

Been killed twice, assisted a kill once, killed the tears twice (does that count?)

Holby

Unless you played in none of the first six Duels rounds, this is impossible. I have never been killed in Duels, and I don't remember ever having you on my team.

I also have the screencaps to prove it.  ;)

EDIT

Here's a list I made in 2003 of my kills in Duels. I think I even made it a website. How embarrassment.

Duels I Kills: None, Kilk stole someone I worked down to 1 land
Duels II Kills: 2
Duels III Kills: 6
Duels IV Kills 5
Duels V Kills: 3
Duels VI Kills: 5
Duels VII Kills 7

EDIT EDIT

Here is a "how to" guide for Duels from the same year.

STARTING UP

Scout a few turns in protection, take out a max loan, build structures.
Your structures will only be markets, foragers, and barracks. Try and make it so you're gaining just a little of food and money every turn, so your land is not wasted. I can not recommend percentages at the moment, as I'm still learning the best ways to maximise protection turns.
Set your army settings to 100% of one troop before building.

After building, scout some more, and build again. Adjust your buildings depending on how little or how much food and money you're gaining per turn.
Continue this until you have used all your turns in protection, and wait for max turns before moving on.

Now you have full turns, loot a couple to get out of protection.
Pick a nice target, one with a fair amount of land, but within your range you think possible to break.
Go the War Center, and put in the number of your target. Pick which attack you want to do. Ignore Standard and Surprise, they're not to your advantage with only one troop type. Pick the attack which you have all your troops of.
Guerilla Strike = Mice
Bombardment = Weasels
Frontal Assault = Hares
Naval Strike = Otters

Hit "send everything" and and then attack. If your attack breaks through, and you take land, keep at it for a few turns, until you've made the most of your opponent.
If your attack is repelled, pick a new target. Repeat with a new target if you keep failing until success.
Build on your land, but this time it is up to you what you build. With the loss of troops your money and food should go up, or your losses go down- depending on your situation.

GAINING A FOOTHOLD

Now you have land, troops, and possibly money and food. In Duels, leaders don't appear to be as effective as they are in RWL, and should be used completely only when you're set in your position, preferably at the top. Otherwise, you may not have enough defence to hang on to your land, and you need to keep it to win. So only have enough to keep off attackers for the time being.

At this stage, you probably have the most land in the game, unless you came out late and couldn't break everyone. I am not that good using troops, but I do know a few things that will help in staying at the top.

Keep gaining as much land as is profitable, but build on it continuously. While you're attacking with one troop type, switch to a new one, or a combination so you have a defence. There is no reason to keep building them if you can break everyone!

I generally only build enough markets and foragers to not be losing anything at the beginning, which lets you maximise your land. However, there are many ways to generate money and food, and this one is probably not the best.

Once you are near the end of your 800 turns (wait for that many before coming out) build extra huts, as many as you can spare. This prevents leader attacks from getting through, and via General's hut can be a side source of income.

With about 100 turns left, demolish all barracks, divide your leaders by 175, take 1, and take that away from your number of huts. It is how many you can have without losing leaders. If you feel up to it, also demolish most of your markets and foragers.

Put all land into guards. No-one should be able to break you, but if it happens, you should have the leaders/troop type to get the land back.

STAYING UP

First thing to do, assuming no-one broke you, is demolish all your guards, and put most of them into huts. However, before you do this, put all your troops on the market. This way, at the end of your turns you will have a new army. And by the end of your turns the next day, you can start rotating your market. Put on the troops you created, use your turns, and pull in your old troops. If you keep making troops, you will continuously be stronger and harder to break.

Put all your land into huts if you can, and generate cash and food in General's Hut. You can use your money to buy troops, and send it to clanmates (if any) for them to knock down opponents. With your food, you can use it to build your Net further, which acts as a psychological advantage, and help team mates survive.

MOPPING UP

Kill first those opponents that are most of a threat, and work down from there. Use "Heal" in General's Hut to regain health more efficiently. Unlike in RWL, it does not require a good ratio, nor is it expensive. Using Heal, you should be able to spend about 25% of your turns attacking, assuming you have no food or money difficulties. It is possible to get up to 3 kills in 800 turns in Duels, so always keep in mind what you want to achieve.

CONCLUSION

I have written this assuming you will receive little help from your clanmates, which is generally the case if you're not playing with close friends, or are at the top. Just something to add: Never let your guard down, in can be your whole clan's undoing.
I will not deleted this

Preußen

Rakefur

So what is duels exactly?

windhound

FAF, an old semi-offshoot of RWL - made by former RWL members with mostly RWL members for a playerbase.  Its mostly inactive now, but it hosted duels rounds years back (in addition to the two standard severs)
When I say years back, I mean starting in 2005.  Six years ago now.

Turns stopped, signups opened, players signup, signups closed, clans assigned, turns started. 
Last clan left standing was the winner

Kinda sorta like some of our turbo rounds, but no signing back up when you're knocked out and no new players after turns start.
Troop names are different at FAF, thus the 'mice' bit in Holb's guide
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't