Doctor Who

Started by Briar, May 29, 2011, 06:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Briar

Since the Real Life thread was taken out, so was this topic.

I know there are Doctor Who fans on here

Thoughts on the plot development?
At the risk of ruining Briar's career by disparaging her find of the famous Sackaleaderer horse...

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II
Yes. I wear high heels Krowdon. Any tips on how I should do my hair?

Firetooth

The plot development seems kind of stinky to be.

I see the old writer (Russel something) as Bioware and the new as Obsidian. The former generally does better, more reliable and direct stories, although by no means simple, where as the latter is incredibly ambitous and does a lot of good stuff, however often the execution doesn't work due to inconsisitancies or poor writing.

An example...the silence. The Doctor was able to look away and still remember the silence was there during the interrogation in that super-unbreakable black cube in episode 2 (moreover, it is never explained how late 60's America had such an abundance of that resource) even though anybody else who looks away instnatly forgets.

Another example of ambition that falls flat was the finale. Blowing up the universe, weird. Then the way they solved the problem was very anti-climatic. I also love doctor who for epic explosions and ridiculusly awesome plot lines, but the leaving the universe thing was stupid.

Finally, they never seem to make any characters evil anymore! That genocidial maniac of a miner and the evil pirate captain were great examples who they made you feel too sympathetic for despite having very questionable morals, and they also seem to have a red-shirt obsession with characters, who are so unimportant the doctor doesn't even care when they die, opposed to previous episodes when he'd be really beat up. A great example was the acid miner (or was it his doppelganger?) who heroically sacrificed himself to shut in that crazy doppelganger, however the Doctor didn't even seem to care.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Abby The Rat

Why should the doctor care? He had over 900 years of dealing with this sort of crap, could say it's part of his mental self defense. Okie, now I'm about to be late for work, darn Shael's superglue.
Not around, please ignore.

Could be found on discord: [https://discord.gg/9CkfKWD]

Firetooth

Dunno, just makes him seem kind of callous where as he's always been portrayed as upset when anybody's died before.
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Sharptooh

Quote from: Abby The Rat on May 30, 2011, 10:40:36 AM
Why should the doctor care? He had over 900 years of dealing with this sort of crap, could say it's part of his mental self defense. Okie, now I'm about to be late for work, darn Shael's superglue.

David Tennants Doctor always seemed to really care when people died, whoever they were, to be fair though he was quite a depressed and down Doctor, which I think worked really well.

Matt Smith's Doctor is more of an "Oh well people are dead who cares, look at me, bow tie cool! fez UBER COOL!" It kind of works, but it can get a bit annoying sometimes and I think people find it more difficult to connect to the Doctor

And I have to agree with Firetooth, minor inconsistencies seem to really detract from the episodes (at least for me), and the stupidity of the characters / confusingness of the plot can be quite annoying too, like in the last episode with the whole Amy thing, uber confusing, not like the old writer, his plotlines remained suspenseful and left you wanting more whilst the current ones just seem to leave me cocking my head at the TV screen and thinking "What on earth just happened" to myself.

In short, some of the episodes are good standalone but the long term plots seem to be pretty suckish . . . and this series seems a little worse than the last, saying that it's got time to get better.

Abby The Rat

I happen to be quite enjoying the current series, The Doctor's wife was a great episode, specially standalone.

And omg, for the ending of the latest one and I Really wish it Saturday already to watch the resulting story of the cliff hanger.
Not around, please ignore.

Could be found on discord: [https://discord.gg/9CkfKWD]

Ashyra Nightwing

Really enjoying the current series. I can understand your gripes but I just totally disagree. :P

As for the Doctor - he's 900+ years old, he's had companions die on him before. You can't have him emotional all the time. I feel the emotional parts work far better now that the Doctor's more of a cheerful chap 95% of the time.
That was the problem I had with Tennant: what with the all the *SADDEST FACE* i killed my own people/left rose behind, the series lost a lot of impact since the emotional stuff was constant.
Matt Smith's a far darker Doctor who doesn't have much of a problem with using violence (See the end of the The Doctor's Wife)

I have no idea what's going on, but that's part of it, isn't it?

Briar

Quote from: Firetooth on May 30, 2011, 08:45:04 AM
An example...the silence. The Doctor was able to look away and still remember the silence was there during the interrogation in that super-unbreakable black cube in episode 2 (moreover, it is never explained how late 60's America had such an abundance of that resource) even though anybody else who looks away instnatly forgets.

The Brits have Torchwood, why can't the US have something similar?

My only issue with the series is Amy. Don't like her as a companion. Rory is awesome though.
At the risk of ruining Briar's career by disparaging her find of the famous Sackaleaderer horse...

Ashyra Nightwing

pfft how can anyone not like Amy

:P

Yeah, I like Rory too,  but Amy's kind of the best

IN OTHER DOCTOR WHO NEWS http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOGGI-ITALY-extrafine-TWEED-SUIT-JACKET-Elbow-Patch-/290571182192?pt=UK_Men_s_Suits_Tailoring&hash=item43a7646070 check out this bad boy, i think i want to buy it

Firetooth

Quote from: Ashyra Nightwing on June 01, 2011, 07:57:46 AM
Really enjoying the current series. I can understand your gripes but I just totally disagree. :P

As for the Doctor - he's 900+ years old, he's had companions die on him before. You can't have him emotional all the time. I feel the emotional parts work far better now that the Doctor's more of a cheerful chap 95% of the time.
That was the problem I had with Tennant: what with the all the *SADDEST FACE* i killed my own people/left rose behind, the series lost a lot of impact since the emotional stuff was constant.
Matt Smith's a far darker Doctor who doesn't have much of a problem with using violence (See the end of the The Doctor's Wife)

I have no idea what's going on, but that's part of it, isn't it?
Cool, I see your point but I'd hardly say the current doctor is much more violent then anybody else...it wasn't him who killed [spoilers] and even then, they kind of left them with no choice.

I agree though. Rory is pretty legendary. Amy is pretty good too, probably the best since Rose, Mickey and co. The last two were just kind of...boring?

Briar

I agree about the last two, but seriously, Amy's way too promiscuous.

And in the nerdy pic catagory we have.....

Firetooth

erm, I'm not sure if I liked that episode or not yet, I'll think it over then post my consensus.

One thing I will say is the acting was some of the best I've seen so far this season.

Neobaron

I just started watching this tonight. (I think.)

Something about living plastic and banshees.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Briar

So...Rose and Christopher Eccelston?

Neobaron

Yup.

Does she die?

Because shes really, really annoying.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.