Forum Department

Started by wolf bite, September 08, 2006, 11:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf bite

Forum improvement

Depending on the order you read these posts, you will see that each Admin has the task to organize, then oversee, a list of things to work on. I am in charge of forum improvement.

I am looking for ideas on how to make the forum better. Please post your ideas here that you would like the staff to consider. State any ways you think it would work better and ways you think will advertise it so we can get more people.

Thanks in advance,

Wolf Bite

Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

bjornredtail

Okay, I have a huge long (sortof) list of ideas to clean up the RWL forums.
1. Combine all the subcatagories (except UMD possibly) in the non game discussion forum.
2. Dump polling into the non-game discussion forum or into the SPA room. The reason for it's creation no longer exists with the development of the Spa Room.
3. Dump stragity into general game discussion. These are similar and have a tendency to go back and fourth.
4. Archive the clans forum ( http://www.redwallwarlords.com/forums/index.php?board=5.0 )... And/Or Perhaps move it to a subforum of general game discussion. Again, it is somewhat redundant of the game forums.
5. Archive the Redwall Convention and RWL politics forums. They are inactive and take up abit too much room on the forum's front page.

This should make forum browsing easier and more enjoyable. Also, it consentrates traffic, both views and posts in fewer places. This good, as more people looking at a topic will mean more people talking. More people talking means more people looking, and joining so they can post too. It creates a feedback loop of sorts. Spreading out views around a bunch of subforums makes it less likely people will view most topics as it is yet another level of stuff the user must click through to get to the content.
0==={=B=J=O=R=N=R=E=D=T=A=I=L==>
AKA, Nevadacow
First person to ever play RWL

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Visit http://frostnflame.org today!

Scarwake

But, if people do not want to see those major forum catergories they are able to minimize those sections off.  Though, I do think that some of those suggestions are very useful.

(Sorry, I really don't have much else to say cuz I'm a bit drained)
Member of the ROC: 03/14/2000
Emperor of

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwl/  RWL Photo Album
In-Character Album

bjornredtail

Well, alas I did not know that. Still it would best if they were minimized by default allow users to view them as needed.
AKA, Nevadacow

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Peace Alliance

I don't know if there forums allow you to default them minimized.

Scarwake

Either way, once a user minimizes them they remain minimized when a user logs in.  That way you don't have to re-minimize them all over again when you logout and then get back on...

But, I've done some minor exploration through my abilities on the forum and just some general research from browsing and I think you might be right Peace, I don't think they give the option to have them default minimized.

Anyways, off to class...again
Member of the ROC: 03/14/2000
Emperor of

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwl/  RWL Photo Album
In-Character Album

TR Shadow

Quote from: bjornredtail on September 10, 2006, 01:55:13 AM*long post about how to make the forum better*

I completely agree with everything you said there.  The forums take up too much space and there are too many of them.  Really, I don't enjoy all the clicking and thinking required to get topics in the right forum.  So make things easier for lazy people like me.

bjornredtail

Okay, I would like to report an annoyance with the current theme: When the code tag is used, it is dark on dark, rendering the results almost unreadable.

Example
AKA, Nevadacow

Ragefur

Can you make the favicon for the forums red instead of black so I can differentiate them in my browser tabs?

Or put the word Forum in the title...
Highest Rank: 1
8th player ever.

Pippin

I think the Spam room should be reset every couple of months perhaps, or something of the sort. It's getting crowded there, even for me.
1. Mike Oxlong (#14)
$16,999,999,999 with 275,000 Acres
3. AL CAPONE (#23)
$887,873,381 with 14,939 Acres
3. wrecking balls (#9)
$801,398,171 with 32,301 Acres
1. Nazgul (#5)
$1,503,190,327 with 201,952 Acres

Shadow

Pippin, stop posting in threads that are months old please.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Pippin

It's for suggestions, im only voicing mine.
1. Mike Oxlong (#14)
$16,999,999,999 with 275,000 Acres
3. AL CAPONE (#23)
$887,873,381 with 14,939 Acres
3. wrecking balls (#9)
$801,398,171 with 32,301 Acres
1. Nazgul (#5)
$1,503,190,327 with 201,952 Acres

Holby

Quote from: Pippin on October 23, 2009, 02:41:40 AM
It's for suggestions, im only voicing mine.
This isn't a single random thread you've resuscitated, it's one of many. So stop it, or I will delete your bumps.

If you want to make an actual suggestion, you're better off making a new thread for it, or pestering the admins.

Modding

Resetting the Spa would achieve virtually nothing, as the dynamics would be the same. The only thing 'crowded' about it is the number of pages it takes up, and that doesn't really impact its day to day use. You'll still have the same problem where day old stuff is 6 pages back.

I will not deleted this

Peace Alliance

Resetting the spa room would limit my thesis research pool.

Briar

What's your thesis, Peace?

Since I am heavily involved, I feel like I have a right to know.
At the risk of ruining Briar's career by disparaging her find of the famous Sackaleaderer horse...

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II
Yes. I wear high heels Krowdon. Any tips on how I should do my hair?