Potential RedCon 06 activities

Started by Scarwake, November 05, 2003, 09:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarwake

I've added "RedwallBall" to the list and renamed Baseball to "Whack-A-Rat" like Calan suggested.  I also added a new game which I've deemed as "Dirty Dibbuns" which is basically dodgeball...

*took the name from the Dirty Duckers dodgeball game the girls play at his school and put dibbuns instead*
Member of the ROC: 03/14/2000
Emperor of

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwl/  RWL Photo Album
In-Character Album

Randag

Do you not undertstand that this is a Convention? I know sports events would be nice, in fact I'd like to see sport-like events, where people can get involved, at the Con but still these things need to be Redwall-ised.

You cannot just call soccer Redwallball and expect it to be added because it has Redwall in the name, though Thank You for the suggestion.
And the Whack-A-Rat thing, posing as Tennis, is not going to work either.

I'm sorry to sound all grumpy but the area in which we plan to hold the Con is not going to be big enough to accommodate such sports.
What I'd like to see is sports type (not actual sports with a name change) events that be adapted to suit a small area, but must have a Redwall or a Medieval feel to them. For instance, you know those oversized Sumo suits, they could be adapted to look like Redwall characters and then the contestants can be given large foam weapons to hit each other with. The person who is standing at the end, wins. Or something like that.

-Ran!
Walk With Pride, Protect Like The Night!
Harness Your Potential, Regret Nothing!

"Ash nazg durbatul?k, ash nazg gimbatul
ash nazg thrakatul?k, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul"

RedCon-Forums--- AK_f00 ---RedCon-Website
Destined For Greatness, But Pacing Myself!
You Know Me! You Just Don't Know It Yet!

Scarwake

You know what...I see where you are coming from, Ran/Ash.  But not everything can be all this medieval stuff.  Its gonna be harder than ... to do that.  

Sure it would be great if we could infact have some fencing thing going on, but unless we have a load of cash or someone already knows how to fence and can show us, then its gonna be hard to do that.  Let alone find a place to do it at in Chicago.  Chicago has PLENTY of HUGE parks in the area where sports can be played.  So lets not just go ruling them out just because its supposed to be all medievalish.  

Not everybody that is in the ROC likes medieval stuff.  Some are into the books because they're inspirational for drawing things or writing songs and poems.  Others are into it for the action, and don't care what else is going on.  There are sooo many possibilities that could be torn out of the books, you can't just limit it all down to one little idea, because to be frank, I don't think that doing it all medievalish is going to work.  

Those sumo suits, cost a lot....A lot of these things you'd like to incorporate cost a lot....What the people are doing is proposing activities that don't involve much money at all.  And we need ideas from the guests in order to make this a hit, not just the staff.  

And most of us are from the States, and we know what we'd be able to accomodate in the area, and most of the things that I've got listed from guests are more likely to be done than these other things that you've proposed.
Emperor of

In-Character Album

Aden

If we do sports, it will probably not be part of the convention. Convention-goers can organize sports events by themselves on their own time. It would be nice to play some ball in one of the many forest preserves around the suburbs.
Woodren Swiftsword, former leader of the Mossflower Liberation Army
May 20, 1999 - May 20, 2001

RedCon

Randag

We will of course have fencing. I know many members of the ROC who do fencing, and some of those will be at RedCon (as they are affiliated to Terrouge, and Terrouge will have it's own stall), so I'm sure it won't be much trouble to ask them to put on a show, or give us hand etc. Also we could even ask a local Fencing school and instructors to supervise bouts or demostrate their skills, not only will it be good advertising for Fencing in general, but also for that specific school.

Yes, I'm sure Chicago has huge parks, but like Aden said they are nothing to do with us. We are organising a Convention as our primary goal (which is pretty difficult in itself. We cannot be responsible for things that go on outside of the Con. Hall, as there are too many variables to take into account.

I NEVER said that everything was just going to be medieval related, only the sport events, as they are the only things that don't belong to in the books so the only way I'm allowing them in the Con is if the are medieval related. There are already plans for other such things (like writing, poetry, cooking, art etc.) at the Con, or haven't you been listening to what I've been saying for the last 6 months.

Sumo suits: What I was saying was simple ideas like the Sumo suits (with emphasis on the like) is what we need for the sport related events. The costumes can be made out of whatever is cheap but also durable enough to satisfy with our budget, I didn't mean to use the Sumo suits themselves. I'm not dismissing ideas from the guests, I'm just telling you what can and can't be done. Not every idea from the guests are doable, and in this case it can't.  Anyway, we have yet to go public (on a large scale) with RedCon, so I'm sure more ideas will pass by our way (some of which I'll throw out the window, and some of which I'll consider).

QuoteAnd most of us are from the States, and we know what we'd be able to accomodate in the area, and most of the things that I've got listed from guests are more likely to be done than these other things that you've proposed.

Really, well this must be in a different RedCon, because what I and the rest of the realistic members of the staff are organising will not be having things that have no basis around Redwall or similar themed books (if we can get them involved). Having a Soccer or basketball tournament is not realistic and thus not going to happen. Unless you want to take command of RedCon, which may not go down well with some of the other staff members, I suggest you think about the problems and difficulties that may arise while trying to set up those events. Because I have in fact considered most of the difficulties around all the things that I'm in favour of, and I'm pretty sure they can work out.

If you have anything else you'd like to say to me, perhaps you should e-mail me. I don't like fighting with members of staff in front of the ROC as it suggests I don't have proper control of the whole situation, which is not good thing to be seen in a Director.

-Ran!

calria

*pops up*

Don't ask me why I'm here... it's 1AM and I'm bored.

I know how to make those costumes... done it before for various things. They'd cost $20 for materials, max, probably, depending on what they were of, if I made them. *wants to be involved, darn it*

Lereac

OK, I know I'm not involved in this and I'm probably not going to be coming to RedCon, but why not some board games?  There are some ones which could pass as Redwall-y...  Fox and Goose, for example.

Scarwake

O.o That'd be a good idea...Lord of the Rings monopoly or something...its medevialish...*doesn't know what else*
Emperor of

In-Character Album

The Lady Shael

We can't bring everything...if there are specific board games you want to play there, you'll probably have to end up bringing them yourself.  
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Randag

Calria, perhaps things will work out in such a way that you can be involved. There will be many new additions to the staff after this summer, and I'm sure you'll be needed.

Board games. Sounds interesting. If our budget allows, we might be able to set up some sort of tournament, or something to that effect with different popular board games. Yes, the LOTR monopoly game certainly has potential at this event.

Scarwake

Good good, I wasn't quite sure if there was a LOTR monopoly game, as I think I heard about it from someone...
Emperor of

In-Character Album

calria

Yiss. This shall be. I decree it so.

Shytalon

As I said in the Terrouge forums, I would like a special edition of that esteemed e-zine in actual print available for sale at the 'con.

As for sporting events, a lot of it will have to be medieval, however, even medieval times had soccer. ^.- I know for a fact, Erin knows fencing. By 2006, I'll know it as well.

And though some may roll their eyes at poetry readings, what is freestyle blues? Poetry reading with some light music in the background. Add some moodlighting, a snare, bass, and high-hat, and a bass guitar, and you've got the best poetry reading known to man.

The great part about something like this is that we don't have to plan all that much as organizers, since the attenders will plan so much for us. They want to have an impromptu art show? Great. It just makes the masses happier.
"Like a song,
Out of tune and out of time,
All I needed was a rhyme for you.
C'est la vie."
~C'est la vie, Emerson, Lake, and Palmer

~Assisstant to RFF, Rubinsky's Renegades (#15)

calria

Poetry reading... yayyyy...
*used to do poetry readings in high school*
Hmmm the people who've done poetry on VI could read it. That would be amusing.

~A post from the ubiquitous Cal

Scarwake

I could read my poetry, even though its not really redwall-themed...but whatever....*prances off, happily thinking about Amy*
Emperor of

In-Character Album