Hmmm

Started by Ereptor, June 17, 2008, 10:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ereptor

I don't want this post to sound like im complaigning.  In fact during my 60 hour work week and in between homework and going to school I enjoy my 5 mins a day on rwl.  Its addicting in a way because its something to do.

I don't think of myself as an old person in this game, but now a'days I kinda do sometimes.  Other times I feel like I have ideas that could change the game.  I just don't have the time or dedication that the admins have ( God bless em ) to do something about it.  After all this being said.  I wish things would change.  I know someone is going to "move" this post to somewhere else because of its topic, but I do mean to bring this to the general discussion.

What is the regular server doing?  What are we fighting for?  What is the point?

The emperorship has become "I have the highest networth so therefor I am the emperor"....Young'uns that is not what it used to be.  An emperor held power and influence.  How you may ask?  Well some say it was because of my skill....WRONG.  I had just as much skill as others.  I used diplomacy, tactics, towers and wolfgang press :P.   So your thinking?  What is this post  about?  You just bragging about your reign of "evil"....  No no no.  My point is that people are sitting on top because of; stuff they have in the market, because they massed a particular troop, because they are holding everyones armies.  Not all of these people have claimed emperorship nor am i bashing anyone in particular.

But in case you haven't noticed I have been burtal in my tactics.  I have murdered handfulls of you people on reg and done huge amounts of damage imo.  My reasoning for this is simple.  I can't hold any leaders.  I get some land and make leaders in one run....then all my land is gone before i even get 100 turns.  Then I do it all over again.  I feel that our strats on reg are limiting.  There are no more HPR's that I know of anymore.  I do all this poisoning and murdering because its all i can do to stand up for myself as a leader strat.  I can't defend at all.  No one can.  Land is passed around so fast its hard to do anything. 

What i am suggesting is that we form some sort of group to look at the gameplay.  Im addicted but im not happy.  I would like more strats to be available to use.  I would like to see the "special abilities" actually be special and actually be used.  I think the admins to a great job keeping this game up and running and I know that there have been tons of things that have been done to make things look better and I love all that.  I really do.  But whats a warlord to do when he is faced with an opponet that he can't hurt because all of his stuff is on the market or whenever he builds an army and tries to use it everyone deserts because his economy can't handle it.  I dunno it just seems so hard to be a good evil warlord these days.

Course i could be way off and this could just be an old rant that will be forgotten by an old emperor who frequently forgets. 

*Walks into...."  "Wow, its sure dark in here!"

The Dark Lord
Warrior since the First Era
Emperor of the Dark Ages
Leader of TBV, TOL, ROME and Mordor
Win with class, lose with class, always respect your opponet.
*Walks Out Of Shadow*

Shadow

Heh, you didn't bump into me on your way out ^_^

I agree. I think defense should play a much bigger role in gameplay. The question is how to achieve that. First of all, I think the old market setup needs to be returned, slightly tweaked from the old version. FAF instituted a 90% pull penalty to make sure that people only put stuff on there if it is intended to be sold. I think the same could work here.

Second, food massing needs to somehow be made dependent on land. That solves the problem of having food massers passing land around freely, since the net they can achieve will be proportional to land gained, much like indy. A few ideas to this end have been offered already, we should take a look at those. Perhaps a "steal food" mission, or increased sack gains could be used to encourage food massers to keep troop defenses around.

Just some ideas off the top of my head, I am too tired to think about it in depth at the moment.

*Walks into Ereptor*
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

idunno

Right now all food massing is dependent on is your networth because of the loyalty costs.

Ashyra Nightwing

I'd like to see a better possibility of success for those who are not using leaders. Increased sacking gains sound good, sacking's a fun way of taking a big tasty slice out of the big pie that is the top 10. And at the moment the slices just aren't big enough.

...I'd just like to be Empress, really. Maybe I should start using leaders...

*walks into the door*

wolf bite

Why would we move the topic? This is exactly where thoughts about the game should go. We are just lucky you were so elegant in doing so.

I make no secret that I have not been in favor of all changes. Many I have felt over benefit the leader players and change the game from a war game to a stingy scrooge game.

Wolf Bite
Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles

Holby

I think the first step in making defence possible is removing group attacks. Until that is done, and not just condensed (but available), the entire task is pointless. I have reiterated the point constantly to no avail.
I will not deleted this

Gen. Volkov

Shael, are you afraid to try fixing the attack system again? You did it once, but it screwed up the attacking system. I definitely agree with Holbs about group attacks. If we want defense to become a bigger part of the game, group attacks have to get the old heave ho.

As for food massing giving ungodly NW, quick fix would be to just decrease foods NW value. It encourages laziness if all you have to do to get a high NW is just mass a bunch of food.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

The Lady Shael

I wouldn't say afraid...but I've realized the attack system needs a major overhaul, not just because of defense. Inconsistencies with land given, and many others.

It's just group attacking is completely interwoven into the attack calculations, so removing it isn't as simple modifying a few lines. The entire file needs to be rewritten. It just means me, wolf, and Peace need to sit down together one day and just tear it apart, piece by piece, and see what needs to go and what needs to be modified.

Peace is leaving in a couple days for most of the summer though.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Juska

Hmm....

I agree that the market should be reverted back to what it was, also I think that troops on the market SHOULD NOT affect networth (ie if you put troops on the market your NW goes down). I wouldn't mind a pull troop penalty either. You shouldn't be able to have the highest net by hiding troops and food on the market.

I hazily see what Ereptor is talking about with losing land, although I have to say leader players have the only chance to actually go unbroken, since we'll indy's will always get broken by leaders.

Rather than making every attack a standard attack (which is what some have suggested correct?) I think that the land gain from group and leader attacks be lowered to 1/4 of their current returns (and yes they are already currently skewered from what was "intended" they give too big of returns). Giving players a way to move land, so that it is possible to unseat someone.
Current Empires:

RtR: Juskabally #19

Gen. Volkov

QuoteI wouldn't say afraid...but I've realized the attack system needs a major overhaul, not just because of defense. Inconsistencies with land given, and many others.

It's just group attacking is completely interwoven into the attack calculations, so removing it isn't as simple modifying a few lines. The entire file needs to be rewritten. It just means me, wolf, and Peace need to sit down together one day and just tear it apart, piece by piece, and see what needs to go and what needs to be modified.

Peace is leaving in a couple days for most of the summer though

OK, I hope you get it fixed sooner rather than later though.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

wolf bite

I had said even when the idea of giving marketed resources net worth were in development that it would change the whole dynamics of the game. People will need to keep most of their goods on the market to retain net worth. Indy and market/forager players are at a disadvantage because of the risk of market theft when their enemies can pick them out. The only way to place high in the game is to be a leader fighter and always drop their land to ratio or become non violent not to risk market theft.

Allow me to prove my point. Most (almost all) of the goods on the market are way above what anyone would ever be willing to buy them at. But to be fair, I separated those goods at under max (no matter how close to max they are) and those that are at the Max. The only reason to put goods on the market at max is the hope that no one will buy it.

In this graph, I have all the market goods organized:

Type of goods
Under the max
At the max
Total goods

Rats

Stoats

Weasels

Skiffs

Food

In this graph, I have the net worth of each type of goods

Rats X1

Weasels X2

Stoats X4

Skiffs X6

Food X0.02

Total Net worth on the market is:
2,344,318,390 !!!!
To put this in perspective, it is half the amount of the net worth of the top ten.
It is over 1/3 of all the net worth of active players.

Wolf Bite

Grand Master Wolf Bite
Wolf Pack =  Klowd19, Blood Wake, Sonoras, Giggles