Immortalization?

Started by Shadow, February 28, 2013, 03:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

Should we immortalize this round? There seems to be a new bug exploited and the results have trickled through the rest of the game to the point where containing it is not practical.

Up to you guys.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Shoot

Honestly, it seems like the damage is mostly in the top 2. Top guy got the cash and the second guy stole it, although somebody apparently bought out the entire market with it so I don't know where else all the phony money could have spread to. I know I personally got no benefit at all from that.

If the exploit was accidental, the top guy should have left the cash alone and reported it imo, but it seems clear that he bought troops with it (he had nowhere near that many troops before the bug triggered), and the second place guy was clearly looking to bank on it too by stealing it. If immortalizing is going to happen, I'd say the fair solution would be to disable the top 2 and immortalize the rest based on that.

Wolf Snare

shoot worked extremely hard to get into the position he is in. It was very impressive tbh. Not to mention, Ryu and I handed volkov his butt this set lol. I think it should be immortalized and all the cash should just be taken out of the game (50 odd tril)
1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. The Grand Optimist (#12)
1. Beast Mode (#7)

Shoot

And I just noticed the guy who received the bugged cash attempted to break me with his ill-gotten gains too.

Shadow

Fair enough. As far as I can tell the exploit happened by accident - the person who did it doesn't seem to be able to reproduce it. I am hoping that it is a consequence of the public market price exploit, because if it is then it will have been fixed incidentally with the other bug.

I will immortalize it as-is, with a note in there explaining the situation. I can't go hunting after the cash after it flowed around, and I don't want to punish any players for accidentally finding a bug they didn't mean to use, especially when they are being helpful about it.

Gen. Volkov

Yep, the two or three of you working together against just me did manage to keep me down. I'm assuming Living to Die was Shoot, which was the real reason you guys could handle me, he kept handing off net to you so you could massacre my troops, after using the PM price exploit to get boatloads of cash, I am assuming. What exactly happened there anyway?

I think I should get credit for apparently being the only player not to use the PM price exploit.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Shoot

I was longcat. I was stuck in southsward and mossflower the whole time alone basically, so I took advantage of my invulnerability (with no other active players able to attack) and stored about 450 billion cash and bought up before i moved into northlands.

Price exploit was reported immediately when discovered (unless somebody caught it before me and didn't say anything), so it didn't last long enough for anybody to gain any real benefit (before Shadow declared anyone using it would face disabling). I sold a single rat for $250,000 ($125,000 after 50% tax >.>) because I couldn't change the price after I bugged it because the fee was impossible to pay, and I think thats pretty much the extent of the damage. Living to Die played around with it for fun after I had reported it, but I don't think any of his erroneously priced items actually sold before Shadow fixed everyones prices.

Living To Die as far as I know was the legitimate winner here. At the end he was probably a beneficiary of the 50 trillion bug against his own will when the recipient of the cash bought out the market, and he did have a lot of goods up at the time I believe, but he had well over 2 billion net posted before that even happened.

Shadow

Yes, as far as I know nobody abused the PM price exploit. I had a look around news feeds and such afterwards, I didn't notice anything amiss. The bug was reported promptly and Shoot was very helpful in getting it fixed. So I don't think anyone can fault that bug for the way the round went.

However, I still don't know why people's timers kept freezing and locking them in earlier eras - that is a bug which did affect the course of the game, and we won't be re-using this theme until I track that down.

Gen. Volkov

QuoteI was longcat. I was stuck in southsward and mossflower the whole time alone basically, so I took advantage of my invulnerability (with no other active players able to attack) and stored about 450 billion cash and bought up before i moved into northlands.

Ah, OK. Sorry for the accusation, I'm just trying to figure out what happened. Living to Die was Sevah then, as I initially thought, as I am pretty sure RICH was Ryu, and Pheonix was Snare. I could have the last two backwards though.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

PhoenixOfPanem

Quote from: PhoenixOfPanem
As the only member of RWL (as is currently known) to be of the same mindset, I formally declare allegiance to the Democratic Republic of Spammania.
**NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING MODERATORS CHANGE IN MY POSTS**
Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II link=topic=16923.msg356616#msg356616
No, I have failed