Validation Code

Started by Briar, May 29, 2011, 12:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Briar

I haven't had to type in a validation code for Turbo and I've definitely used more than 150 turns.
At the risk of ruining Briar's career by disparaging her find of the famous Sackaleaderer horse...

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II
Yes. I wear high heels Krowdon. Any tips on how I should do my hair?

The Lady Shael

Validation is turned off on turbo :)
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Briar

Then why still send the email?
At the risk of ruining Briar's career by disparaging her find of the famous Sackaleaderer horse...

The Lady Shael

I dunno :p I think I meant to remove the vali code from the email but I wasn't sure if having it off was something we wanted to keep. Either way it's not hurting anything right now
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Abby The Rat

I was hearing that Captcha is replacing validation codes.. I would stick with it, the validation codes helps to make sure the emails are valid, unless you do a domain check up and SMTP requests then maybe the validation codes could be removed. Certainly, the captcha helps some in way of preventing mutli-accounts.
Not around, please ignore.

Could be found on discord: [https://discord.gg/9CkfKWD]

windhound

Eh, that's another question Addy - do we _need_ an email?

Our multi-tracking system works off ip addresses, there's no real benefit to having someone's email address

In theory it helps with bots, but I don't think I've ever seen a bot written for a promi game.  Our landfarm is kinda sorta botish, but not really.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Abby The Rat

In my years of actually having to battle against bots (In all sorts of places, MMOs, IRC (spam bots/flood bots, etc), you're always playing catch up to anyone who feels they have to bot or cheat. And while it's not doing anything now,  it be a weapon in the box against cheating/worse, as well as IP and so forth.  An extra weapon helps.

On top, should a feature be added that use an email feature, (getting attacked..send an email alert.. gone into the red, maybe send an email alert, etc), the validation would help reduce the chances of getting lots of email bounces.

Based on my experience and knowledge on net scectity, Captcha should an line of defence not the only defence. (Plus, there are already some bots that can defeat most captcha's)

Kilkenne

I'd like to see a system that sends me an e-mail when I get an in-game message. I don't know why I'd like that so much, but it would be nice for those of us who send a lot of those per day.

Krowdon

Quote from: Kilkenne on May 30, 2011, 12:27:49 AM
I'd like to see a system that sends me an e-mail when I get an in-game message. I don't know why I'd like that so much, but it would be nice for those of us who send a lot of those per day.

But include an option to turn it off. I already get too many emails.
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Abby The Rat

Well, if such a system was to be added, it would be done where you can pick and choose what activity you wish to be notified off and how you want to get them.

Shadow

Eh. I like not getting emails from RWL. I would just turn it all off.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Abby The Rat

Which should be an option anyway! :P Certainly, I would like to get an email if someone sent me a in game PM or something.

Briar

I'd love to know when I get a PM in reg. Especially since there are times I won't log in there for a couple of days and I miss important game changing messages.