Trying to figure out how to work this

Started by Dark Claws, June 14, 2011, 04:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kilkenne

A note that you should keep in mind is that you're going to want to make your armies a bit smaller. The concept of 500,000 or a million in an army going at it is pretty astounding. I know that in RWL we have these massive armies but that's kind of unrealistic, the size of armies we have. For context, the battle of Verdun in World War I, one of the most famous/largest battles ever fought, had approximately a million men on the field on both sides at a time. It took them 8 months to sort everything out just because of the logistics of a million people.

Imagine that each person in an "army" ends up with 1 square meter to stand on. A football pitch is about 10,000 square meters or so, so you get about 10,000 troops per pitch. It'd take a hundred football fields full of soldiers to get to a million. And if this is only a chunk of the army, and you're using medieval systems of communication (your voice, yelling a lot) it quickly gets extremely unwieldy. Even though you're vermin, I'm sure you can scale this down to make sense of it.

Hope that helps.

Dark Claws

Ok then, how about I take away a zero from every number of soldiers used? I guess that would work.
Welcome the most annoying person on Earth, oh look Dark Claws just walked in.

@(*_*)@. Either a monkey, or Princess Leai on drugs.

What happens when a permanent resident deletes their account?

Like an assistant

RavenArailt

I think it's good! Interesting story. :D
I'll try to jump in on the enemy's POV... it's a little too far into the story though, so it's going to be somewhat difficult.

For Raven Arailt, victory was so close at paw she could nearly sink her bloody fangs into it. Empowered greatly by the prospect of how much farmland she would gain at the end of the battle, the black wolf howled, rushing the nearest rat and stabbing him through with her sword, killing him instantly. A general, by the look of his armour. Raven wondered how he had been promoted to such a status with slower reflexes than those of a dead squirrel. She smiled to herself and howled again.

Meanwhile, Raven's own general, Sheridon the fox, was leading four stoats toward Dark Claws. He and his team were armed to the teeth with sharpened swords and the knowledge that if they were to capture the leader then Dark Claws' entire army would be as defenseless as a snake missing its head. He knew he and his leader would win the victory tonight. Sheridon and his team had Dark Claws surrounded.

Dark Claws

Dark Claws was running out of options. His squad would be soon slaughtered and he himslef could be the first casualty. A general was charging against him with enough strength to take him and his squad. He had no more cards to play, except for a fight that would either result in death or the slim chance of escaping badly wounded. He grabbed his sword planning on going down fighting, and taking as many of the soldiers with him.

He charged against a stoat, both their blades crashing together. The stoat was fast, faster than Dark Claws, but not as strong. That was his only hope. The stoat withdrew his blade, preparing to do a lightning strike, but Dark Claws stabbed his sword at the stoat. The stoat quickly and easily blocked it, but didn't realize that the sword had a string on it. Dark Claws forced that string around the stoats neck, buying himself enough time to leap over the soldier and stab him in the back. He had two options, leave the squad and survive, or rejoin the fray and more likely meet death. 

Like an assistant

RavenArailt

Sheridon snarled in exasperation as the stoat fell to the ground.  That wildcat was a much faster fighter than the fox had expected... Sheridon might just have to deal with him himself.
He watched as another stoat from his team jumped in front of Dark Claws, engaging the wildcat in battle & providing just the diversion he needed. As much as he would have wanted to kill the enemy warlord, he knew Lady Arailt (Whom he called Raven, as they had known each other since long before she had risen to power) would want the cat alive. Closing in behind the distracted Dark Claws, he raised the butt of his sword and brought it down in a heavy, but not lethal, blow on the back of his enemy's head.

Dark Claws

Dark Claws was past running out of options. He was barely conscious and on the ground without a weapon. How the heck was he supposed to fight without a weapon? He felt himself being dragged away by the fox. Luckily, one of his soldiers saw him. The rat leaped into the air and tried to stab the fox, but a stoat saw him and quickly slew him. That rat gave Dark Claws one second to think of a plan. He could either kill himself rather than the enemy do it, or he could fight and be then completely knocked out. Then he came up with a daring plan, something he had learned from a badger long ago.

He had to do this fast. He thought of anything to give him rage, the gash in his shoulder, the pain on his head. Nothing. Then he though of the lost soldier, and the rest of them who would soon die. And then focused on one thing, their blood.

"EULLIAAAAA!" he cried as he was overcome with bloodwrath. He could barely control his anger, his power, his strength. He couldn't feel the pain of the fox repeatedly smacking him with his blade. He then forced himself to think straight. He managed to free himself from the fox's grip and grasped something, his blade.

"Finally," he thought as he struggled to keep the bloodwrath from making him do something stupid. "An even match."

Like an assistant

RavenArailt

Meanwhile, Raven Arailt was slicing through enemy soldiers, felling them like an experienced logger could fell saplings. She knew that with every swing of her sword, a huge victory for her and her army was getting closer and closer. The wolf was almost lost in this fact when she heard a loud cry that nearly stopped her short.
"EULALIAAAAAAAA!"
Her eyes widened. There was a badger lord on the battlefield? He would kill both armies!
Then she realized that couldn't possibly be happening. Badger lords didn't engage in battle needlessly. They only defended their own turf. But whatever was happening, she knew she needed to find her general, Sheridon.

Sheridon scowled & stared into Dark Claws' blood red eyes, trying to mask his own nervousness. He had only seen this phenomenon happening with a badger, and it was something he wished had never happened. In that particular battle, the badger alone had wiped out half of the force he'd been commanding. Raven would have demoted him upon their return to her castle, had the two of them not been friends first, and builders of an empire second. The fox wondered what kind of damage a wildcat could do when he fought like a bloodwrath badger in a normal battle.
But Sheridon did know one disadvantage the bloodwrath would give Dark Claws. He had heard a story long ago about one badger lady going blind because of such a strong bloodwrath. Though it had never happened since then, he hoped there would still be some small possibility of the same thing happening to the wildcat.

Sheridon swung his sword at the Dark Claws' face, hoping desperately this battle would soon be over.

Dark Claws

Sorry I haven't posted, was on vacation for a bit. *Ahem*

Dark Claws was not a wildcat. He was a killing machine. Instead of fighting the Bloodwrath, his mind gave up until he could force the rage of death back down. This would be a while, as the Bloodwrath was not easy to control. Yet he called up on it and it saved him. And it frightened his enemies.

A badger crossing his land taught him it. The badger seemed kind, as well as Dark Claws, and the badger was given protection every time he crossed Dark Claws's land in return for the teaching of the art. Find something that ticks you off, and keep foccusing off that. He and some of his captains were taught this, and so became the strongest in their ranks. The wrath combined his finese and precision with raw power and brute force. It can easily be said that his enemies were not happy.

Scores were getting slaughtered by the minute, along with the fox being pressed as hard as he could. Luck never had it's eyes out for Dark Claws, and he knew it too. Despite his effort into turning the tide of the battle, he wished it would end quite soon. Arrows flew past his head. Swords slashed the air Dark Claws was in seconds ago. Despite the fact that it seemed the whole armies goal was to kill him, Dark Claws was still alive. This gave his soldiers morale that was not easily diminished. They pushed as hard as the could, fought harder than they could, and they weren't dying by the second either. They were stronger. Luck was finally helping Dark Claws.

Like an assistant

Dark Claws

Dark Claws was going wild, clawing his way through the ranks. He sliced the side of the fox and down he went, probably not dead, but incapicated. Dark Claws was killing the wall of troops that seperated him from Raven Alrait. He got to the point where killing scores of the enemy army was too slow. He grabbed a sword and ran through the corwd, slicing through more soldiers than anyone could imagine. Even her elite honor guard were being killed mercilessly, along with any fool trying to protect them. The enemy army was being thrown into a frenzied panic, tryingto retreat, but being slaughtered by Dark Claws's own army. Stabbing a general as if he was a rag doll, Dark Claws stepped up and faced the enemy leader. Raven turned to face him, and their swords met.

NOTE: Raven, please update. And guests, please comment. 

Like an assistant

Dark Claws

Well, since I'm the only person reading this now, I'll just end this. Raven, this is what you get for not updating. *Ahem*

Dark Claws bared his teeth at the enemy leader. He was going crazy, about to kill someone fast. And the female wolf was the first and easiest option. He leapt at her and stabbed his sword in thousands of places within seconds, causing blood to spurt from her small wounds. He knew he would be dead soon if he kept with this Bloodwrath and didn't stop himself. He finally got enough willpower to force the Bloodwrath down.

He saw his fallen soldiers and generals and the willpower vanished.

To say what happened next is to gruesome and gory to be placed here. But to summarize it, it was not pretty. Dark Claws was breathing fast and saw the carnage he created. Any enemy soldier dumb enough to come within 20 feet of him was killed, quickly and painfully. To the credit of the wolf, she fought hard and well. However, she didn't fight to the end, mostly because she didn't want it to be her end, and ran off while her army was massacred.

"She's badly wounded and won't get far," thought Dark Claws as he finally controlled the Bloodwrath.  "She'll be back. But I'll be ready."

"My lord," said his captain of the archers. "We still haven't found out why your general turned on us. Or where your new enemy is. Or even why she chose you, out of all the strong warlords."

"My friend," Dark Claws started as he cleaned his sword. "That is another adventure for another day. And I should get back to my tent, I need to catch up on a nap."

Like an assistant