Tales from a Forest Service Archaeologist

Started by Briar, June 30, 2011, 06:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Briar

I thought some of you would enjoy seeing photos of the objects I find while working. Feel free to ask questions or comment.

Broken Arrowhead

Broken Metate

General Land Office Marker- 1933

Rock Cairn

At the risk of ruining Briar's career by disparaging her find of the famous Sackaleaderer horse...

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II
Yes. I wear high heels Krowdon. Any tips on how I should do my hair?

Neobaron

Thats a pretty neat revolver there.

Grip looks like rudder though so its probably new-er-ish.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Kilkenne

I had to google to see what a metate was. How do you specifically know that that was a grindstone and not just a broken rock? (Not trollin', actually curious)

windhound

Neat stuff, what does your work involve? 
+1 on metate
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Gen. Volkov

I like that you put another object in for scale. It's a good habit to have.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Briar

My work involves hiking around mountains in Eastern Nevada looking for anything pre-dating 1950.  Normally the funding comes out of fuels projects, meaning that my team is making sure that it is alright to burn, or treat, the area and no significant archaeological damage will occur.

The reason we know it is a metate and not just a broken rock is because of the flatness of one side and the roundness of the other.  It's hard to tell from the picture, but there are small percussive marks on the flatter side, indicating its purpose as a metate. 

The revolver is newer. It's a 357 Magnum. Probably not more than 15 years. I posted it because it was a pretty cool find, and because it is newer than 1950, I get to keep it :) Last year I found a machete, which I also got to keep.
At the risk of ruining Briar's career by disparaging her find of the famous Sackaleaderer horse...

Kilkenne

I like this stuff. This is a good thread. Briar has a cool job.

And she should post more pictures of stuff she finds wandering about in the mountains.

Do you have to sleep in a tent while you wander about or are these more like day trips where you go home afterward and then back in the morning?

Briar

This last week was in a tent, but most of the time they are day trips and I sleep in a government bunkhouse.

Neobaron

Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Ungatt Trunn II

DIE HIPPIE DIE

Briar

Sorry for the sparse posts.  This season has been a lot of hiking and not so much finding.  Here are some more pics of stuff I've found. Enjoy!

Etendue

These pictures are absolutely brilliant, I can't believe how awesome your job is.

Have you any more anecdotes to share about your job?
Why can't I stay away from this game?

"You're kidding me. Did you just stuff that Aperture Science Thing-We-Don't-Know-What-It-Does into an Aperture Science Emergency Intelligence Incinerator?" ~GLaDOS