Question for Warlords of Pain

Started by Gen. Volkov, August 20, 2009, 10:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gen. Volkov

So your net holder, Rally, has just gone into vacation. My question is, why? Are you using the abusing the code like Bob and Co. did a few rounds ago, or is was he just inactive too long? I don't think it's the latter, because he was on and passing net just a couple days ago. So what's going on? If you really are abusing the code, I have to say that it means I'm going to lose a huge amount of respect for everyone in that clan.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Firetooth

The admins don't seem to care about it so I wont hold as much against them as I would have if they have used it. I do see it as a cheap tactic, but it's the admins who should outlaw it. Wop don't need to do it anyway though, especially seeing as there is the 20atk rule. He might just generally be on vacation.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Alazar is Back

Talk all the smack you want, but we are beating you. I guarantee when you find out who he is that you will instantly know that he is no cheater. I don't personally know the situation, but I betcha he has a good reason.
Turbo Highest Rank:Co-Emperor with Wolf Snare, Emperor

One of the most underrated players at RWL..

Neobaron

Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

windhound

geh.
Rally's mine.  I got distracted and havn't run in a while.  I've signed in a few times to check mail and the clan forum, and looked at the scores list and didnt see anyone worth the bother of shuffling billions of troops around, so I didnt.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Gen. Volkov

Quote from: Talk all the smack you want, but we are beating you.

Ally, shut it. You don't know what you are talking about.

QuoteI guarantee when you find out who he is that you will instantly know that he is no cheater.

The last time someone went on vaca in Turbo, it was windy, and he did it to protect net. So make what you will of that.

QuoteI don't personally know the situation, but I betcha he has a good reason.

Then don't talk about it.

QuoteMOAR TEARS.

I am sustained.

Neo, if I wanted to use the cheap tactic of abusing the vacation feature to protect net, I would have. This isn't tears, this is inquiring if WOP is indeed abusing the code.

Rally's mine.  I got distracted and havn't run in a while.  I've signed in a few times to check mail and the clan forum, and looked at the scores list and didnt see anyone worth the bother of shuffling billions of troops around, so I didnt.

OK, fair enough windy.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Genevieve

Quote from: Gen. Volkov on August 20, 2009, 10:05:07 AM
If you really are abusing the code, I have to say that it means I'm going to lose a huge amount of respect for everyone in that clan.

That's a pretty extreme thing to say, Volkov. I mean there's like what... 10 people in the clan. I don't even know who most of them are, I can't really be blamed for one of them going on vaca.
And how likely is it that ten of the best player would agree to pull such a dodgy move when there's been so much controversy about it in the last few rounds?

Checkerpaw

Good gracious, my dear Volkov, there's no need to get your undies in such a bunch about this.
Highest rank in Regular: #6 (August '08)

Highest rank in Turbo: #1 (July  '09) as The NKVD
Highest finish in Turbo: #4 (August '09) as The NKVD

Also played as: Roadkill Collector (June '08) Gotten Smart (July), Mr. Holmes (August), That's What She Said (September)

Holby

Quote from: Gen. Volkov on August 20, 2009, 10:05:07 AM
So your net holder, Rally, has just gone into vacation. My question is, why? Are you using the abusing the code like Bob and Co. did a few rounds ago, or is was he just inactive too long? I don't think it's the latter, because he was on and passing net just a couple days ago. So what's going on? If you really are abusing the code, I have to say that it means I'm going to lose a huge amount of respect for everyone in that clan.
Volkov, this may come as a shock to you...

But it is NOT ILLEGAL for someone to go on vacation.

Just because someone goes on vacation does not mean they are abusing vacation. Nor does it necessarily mean their account is inactive. They should be permitted to go on vacation whenever they like, for whatever reason they like. RWL is not the be all and end all of our existence.

The fact that windy just hadn't used turns is completely irrelevant, because he should never have to explain why his account is listed as in vacation. 'Cos really, it's not anyone's business.

I am getting really, really sick of people whining about this.

And no, I'm not part of Warlords of Pain, this issue just irks me.

I will not deleted this

Gen. Volkov

QuoteThat's a pretty extreme thing to say, Volkov. I mean there's like what... 10 people in the clan. I don't even know who most of them are, I can't really be blamed for one of them going on vaca.
And how likely is it that ten of the best player would agree to pull such a dodgy move when there's been so much controversy about it in the last few rounds?

I dunno, how likely was it that Wolf Snare and Bob would pull a dodgy move like that? How likely was it that windy would do so at the end of the storehouse round? I think it's your responsibility to know what is going on in your clan. If they are doing dodgy things, you should know about it.

QuoteGood gracious, my dear Volkov, there's no need to get your undies in such a bunch about this.

I've had it done to me twice, I'm not about to let the third just slip by.

Volkov, this may come as a shock to you...

But it is NOT ILLEGAL for someone to go on vacation.

I know it's not illegal, NOW, but it should be. Additionally, in my opinion it is abusing the code to go into vaca just to protect net, and the fact that you admins have done anything about it yet is irrelevant.

Just because someone goes on vacation does not mean they are abusing vacation. Nor does it necessarily mean their account is inactive. They should be permitted to go on vacation whenever they like, for whatever reason they like. RWL is not the be all and end all of our existence.

Oh blah blah blah, I've seen you get more worked up over less important things than possible code abuse. Also, if someone with the most NW in the game goes into vaca with no explanation or warning, especially if they have a prior history of abusing the vacation function, the idea at least needs to be considered. Which is why I ASKED! I didn't accuse, I didn't make threats, I ASKED, and stated I would lose a lot of respect for that clan if they were using such a cheap tactic, particularly when they had no real reason too.

The fact that windy just hadn't used turns is completely irrelevant, because he should never have to explain why his account is listed as in vacation. 'Cos really, it's not anyone's business

He's done it before, so the question at least had to be asked.

QuoteI am getting really, really sick of people whining about this.

How is asking a simple question "whining"?

QuoteAnd no, I'm not part of Warlords of Pain, this issue just irks me.

Well it irks me when people abuse the code.

Holby

When every single person who has posted in the thread disagrees with you, it's probably time to cut your losses and run.

But in typical Volkov fashion, you'll fight it out till the end! It is quite admirable, really.

The thing is, your original post said this:
QuoteAre you using the abusing the code like Bob and Co. did a few rounds ago, or is was he just inactive too long?
Which says "Are you abusing the code, or have you not run turns?" Which means you think it is inconceivable that someone could actually go on vacation. And it's not like it can be read as anything but an accusation when you start out by saying "are you abusing the code" followed by  "I don't think I don't think it's the latter". (With the latter being legitimately not having run.)

Here's another thread you created where you do the exact same "OMG, CHEAT" thing:
http://www.redwallwarlords.com/forums/index.php?topic=10448.0

Yes, vacation has the ability to be abused. But assuming it's an abuse every single time the person has net/land is a bit harsh, because you're making assumptions about that person and their reasoning with virtually no basis for it. If it was a simple question, Volkov, you wouldn't have received as much backlash.

If you were a bit more chilled, I could be a bit more chilled. And then we could get around to talking about important things, like why Heineken tastes like water.
I will not deleted this

Marell

Quote from: Holby on August 21, 2009, 10:21:01 AM
When every single person who has posted in the thread disagrees with you, it's probably time to cut your losses and run.

For the record, 5 of those people were members of Warlords of Pain, so no surprises there.

Congratulations to Neo and Checker for providing such mature opinions on the matter too  :wink:  Run along back to the spa room now kids.

Perhaps Windy should have gone on vacation but... Volk and I just decided to wipe 3bil of his net away.

Gen. Volkov

QuoteWhen every single person who has posted in the thread disagrees with you, it's probably time to cut your losses and run.

Firetooth more or less agreed with me actually.

QuoteBut in typical Volkov fashion, you'll fight it out till the end! It is quite admirable, really.

How many times have you actually seen me cut and run?

QuoteWhich says "Are you abusing the code, or have you not run turns?" Which means you think it is inconceivable that someone could actually go on vacation. And it's not like it can be read as anything but an accusation when you start out by saying "are you abusing the code" followed by  "I don't think I don't think it's the latter". (With the latter being legitimately not having run.)

I am aware of what I wrote, but what you are not including is that I bracketed that statement with 2 inquiries as to what was going on. I wasn't limiting it to two options of abuse or inactivity, I was just saying that it seemed unlikely that he had gone into vaca through inactivity. The other option was that he had done it voluntarily, which raises the question of abuse. So I was ASKING what was happening, why had windy gone into vaca? That has now been answered, and it turns out I was wrong about the inactivity.

QuoteHere's another thread you created where you do the exact same "OMG, CHEAT" thing:

What the heck is wrong with asking a question? I never said that he was abusing the code, I simply asked if he was, which was a reasonable question since members of that clan have been known to pull that stunt. If you really want to berate me for being suspicious of a group of people who have pulled the same stunt, twice, then fine, have at it, but I think my suspicion here is pretty freaking well founded.

Yes, vacation has the ability to be abused. But assuming it's an abuse every single time the person has net/land is a bit harsh, because you're making assumptions about that person and their reasoning with virtually no basis for it. If it was a simple question, Volkov, you wouldn't have received as much backlash.

Sorry, but I think I do have basis for thinking such. 2 members of that clan have been involved in such stunts before, windy himself has done it before, and 2 other members said they would not be averse to abusing the vacation function so badly that the admins are forced to take action. So I think my question was fully justified. As for the backlash, I think it was more because of the last statement I made, about how I would lose respect for the clan as a whole if it was the case. Notice that virtually all the negative responses were by members of that clan, excepting you.

QuoteIf you were a bit more chilled, I could be a bit more chilled. And then we could get around to talking about important things, like why Heineken tastes like water.

Heineken tastes more or less like beer. Bud Light does taste like water though. Personally, I prefer Sam Adams. By the way, I have been completely chilled throughout this whole thing.

Checkerpaw

QuoteI know it's not illegal, NOW, but it should be. Additionally, in my opinion it is abusing the code to go into vaca just to protect net, and the fact that you admins have done anything about it yet is irrelevant.

I think Holby already addressed this, but how can you tell if someone is going into vacation for legitimate reasons or merely doing it as a way of, in your opinion, "abusing the code"?

Secondly, you claim all you did was ask "a simple question."  But in your original message, you wrote: "So your net holder, Rally, has just gone into vacation. My question is, why? Are you using the abusing the code like Bob and Co. did a few rounds ago, or is was he just inactive too long? I don't think it's the latter, because he was on and passing net just a couple days ago. So what's going on?"  And then you went on your little "lose respect" rant. You might as well have asked if windy's stopped beating his wife yet.

QuoteHeineken tastes more or less like beer. Bud Light does taste like water though. Personally, I prefer Sam Adams. By the way, I have been completely chilled throughout this whole thing.

This is you being chilled?  Good lord.
Highest rank in Regular: #6 (August '08)

Highest rank in Turbo: #1 (July  '09) as The NKVD
Highest finish in Turbo: #4 (August '09) as The NKVD

Also played as: Roadkill Collector (June '08) Gotten Smart (July), Mr. Holmes (August), That's What She Said (September)

Gen. Volkov

QuoteI think Holby already addressed this, but how can you tell if someone is going into vacation for legitimate reasons or merely doing it as a way of, in your opinion, "abusing the code"?

It's rather hard to tell, which is why I asked, but if they go into vaca with no real warning, have a lot of net, yet are still active on the forums, it's a pretty good indication that they have decided to protect net by going into vaca, thus abusing the code. Still, it never hurts to ask, so I did.

QuoteSecondly, you claim all you did was ask "a simple question."  But in your original message, you wrote:

Like I said, I know what I wrote. It was simple question, but perhaps you missed it. I asked "What is going on?". The rest is just explanation for the question.

And then you went on your little "lose respect" rant.

Well, if your lot was abusing the code, I would have lost respect for you guys.

QuoteYou might as well have asked if windy's stopped beating his wife yet.

Like I have been saying, windy has done this before, which means that I get suspicious when he just goes into vaca with a bunch of net again. Sorry, it's what happens when you do something many players feel is code abuse, a stigma gets attached. If someone had been convicted of spousal abuse, and they you saw his wife covered in bruises, what would be the thought that jumped into your head first? That she fell down the stairs? Unlikely.

QuoteThis is you being chilled?  Good lord.

*Rolls eyes* You really think I'm that emotionally involved in a debate on an online forum?