6 day Gag - Night Wolf

Started by Peace Alliance, December 07, 2009, 08:24:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gen. Volkov

QuoteVolk, you're potentially the most dangerous person I know when it comes to your words. Member when you had me convinced that no one was real and everything was a figment of my imagination?

LOL, I remember that. It's still a possibility you know. There is no real way to prove that anyone else actually exists. The only thing anyone can know for sure is that they exist, but the rest of the world, including everyone they know could be a construct of their minds.

Quotesometime before or around the time we would have theoretical debates about taking over the world and / or fighting eachother with supernatural abilities? hahaha

Those were fun discussions.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Sevz

There is no real way to prove that anyone else actually exists. The only thing anyone can know for sure is that they exist, but the rest of the world, including everyone they know could be a construct of their minds.

I remember thinking the exact same thing when i was around 6 years old.

How can you explain your creation if there was no actual being before you? how can you deny the worlds existence before your mind is developed yet you exist inside of physical plain that isn't understood on a subconscious level?
If the world is a figment of our imaginations we would be capable of changing all the laws of physics instantly

I will prove it Volkov
Quote from: windhound on March 31, 2012, 05:10:16 PM
Coding out holes in the game is the best way to do things. 
Relying an the admins to patrol is a) time consuming for the admins in question b) unreliable c) only invites conflict
There is no conflict or "I didn't know any better!" excuses with a coded in rule.

Ungatt Trunn II

Proof that other people exist = They shoot you, you die.
DIE HIPPIE DIE

Firetooth

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II on January 04, 2010, 01:12:14 AM
Proof that other people exist = They shoot you, you die.
Couldn't agree more. Unless your a heroes character. All you need then is celluar regeneration, or a handy injection of Adam Monroe's blood.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Gorak

way to turn a news topic into a sensless spam topic ::)
Victory without honour, is more shameful then defeat.

Gen. Volkov

QuoteI remember thinking the exact same thing when i was around 6 years old.

LOL, I doubt it. At least at the level I am talking about. We were discussing Descartes and the observational universe at the time. That is, the universe only existing if someone is there to see it.

QuoteHow can you explain your creation if there was no actual being before you?

You mean how do I explain my existence without someone creating me? Can't really, but my existence does not necessitate someone creating me.

Quotehow can you deny the worlds existence before your mind is developed yet you exist inside of physical plain that isn't understood on a subconscious level?

Er... what?

QuoteIf the world is a figment of our imaginations we would be capable of changing all the laws of physics instantly

The world seems to slow down and speed up according to what is happening. Moreover, relativity tells us that the laws of physics do change when you approach the speed of light, or something with a very large mass, like a black hole. Anyway, we are talking about the sub-conscious mind here, creating a universe for our consciousness to inhabit. You don't have a bunch of control over the subconscious mind, so the physical laws it creates would stay fairly stable.

QuoteI will prove it Volkov

LOL, good look. The greatest minds in history have tried and failed to do so.

QuoteProof that other people exist = They shoot you, you die.

Sorry, but no. If your mind is creating the rules of your universe, you could very well die if you got shot, even if the world wasn't real. Think The Matrix, the body cannot live without the brain. You believe enough that you are dead, and you die.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Ungatt Trunn II

Volkov, this isn't Holywood. We aren't in some simulation. If our minds were "creating the rules" the rules would have changed at some point.
DIE HIPPIE DIE

Shadow

If we were in a simulation we could die by being shot, but not if the thing doing the shooting is a figment of our imagination.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Gen. Volkov

QuoteVolkov, this isn't Holywood. We aren't in some simulation.

How do you know? There is absolutely no way to tell that is not the case. The only thing one can know for sure is that they exist. Cogito ergo sum.

QuoteIf our minds were "creating the rules" the rules would have changed at some point.

They haven't changed? I think I've pointed out at least a few places where the rules have changed.

If we were in a simulation we could die by being shot, but not if the thing doing the shooting is a figment of our imagination.

See, dismissing something as a "figment of the imagination" is denying the brain's power. Fear can stop the heart, seize the lungs. People have had heart attacks from fear alone. People have died because they believed strongly that they had been shot. If you believe strongly enough that you have been killed, you will die.

Shadow

All those deaths you describe involve rationalization. Your mind cannot kill you instantly.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Ungatt Trunn II

If this were some "simulation" or "figment of imagnination" don't you think some drastic changes would occur at random times, or that we would have snapped back to reality? And how come I have in imagination now? Does that mean I have an imagination within my imagination? That makes no sense.
DIE HIPPIE DIE

Gen. Volkov

QuoteAll those deaths you describe involve rationalization. Your mind cannot kill you instantly.

There aren't a whole lot of ways to die instantly. Also, the brain would be doing the rationalization before the death occurs. EDIT: Not that it really needs to "rationalize" as that is a conscious process, and the creation of the world we see, and thus the universe we think we inhabit goes on at a level beneath conscious thought.

If this were some "simulation" or "figment of imagnination" don't you think some drastic changes would occur at random times, or that we would have snapped back to reality?

Well, how do you know these changes have not occurred? Remember, if the brain can create reality, it can make things seem as if they have always been a certain way. Also, what "reality" would we snap back to? The brain creates our reality, even outside what I am talking about, the world we see and interact with is nothing more than electro-chemical signals received by the brain from various sensory nerves that are then synthesized together into a coherent whole by the brain. The world we know is a construct of our brain. A movie is nothing more than a series of still frames with small changes that are moved in front of a light source very quickly. Yet our brain receives this input and it is seen as a single picture that moves.

And how come I have in imagination now? Does that mean I have an imagination within my imagination? That makes no sense.

Because I am talking about subconscious processes. Didn't I just say that "figment of the imagination" is not a good description? Your imagination is part of your conscious mind, but the world created by your brain occurs at a level below conscious thought.

Alazar is Back

I will not enter this conversation per say, but I will tell you all this. Give up. You will not defeat Sir Volky. The man knows his stuff. Drop your weapons, tuck tail, and run. It's all over. :o
Turbo Highest Rank:Co-Emperor with Wolf Snare, Emperor

One of the most underrated players at RWL..

Ungatt Trunn II

I'm not smart enough to even really understand what he's talking about, let alone refute it. This debate goes to you.
DIE HIPPIE DIE

Gen. Volkov

QuoteI'm not smart enough to even really understand what he's talking about, let alone refute it. This debate goes to you.

LOL. Suggested reading. Decartes, Kant, and Plato. Then go read up on some of the newer theories in physics about observation creating the universe. They basically are taking the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle and using it on a macro scale. It's very interesting stuff.