question for musicians

Started by Gorak, February 03, 2010, 11:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gorak

specifically for those who play guitar and/or bass
I'm a bit of a gear junky and am very interested in peoples tone and choice of equipment

and so I ask
what kinda music do you play, and what level do you play at? (basement player, garage band, perfoming, professional, ect.)
and what gear do you own, and what gear do you hope to own?

personally
I play bass professionally in an off and on touring metal band called Throttlecaster, and during our hiatus, which should end in a couple weeks when Erko gets back from Estonia, I've been playing with a local garage band, as well I play worship for my church.

I use an Ibanez SR905 (google if you don't know what something is) for my primary
Ibanez SR405 for back up
both with DR Xtra Life strings
I use an ART tube preamp, Tech 21 Brit overdrive, Vox classic wah, Berhinger chorus, Line6 DL4 delay. (yes I run alot of FX for a bass player)
for church I run my old Peavey Combo 115 with a Gallien Kruger RBH 210 external cab
for on the road, I run a Traynor Dynabass 200 and a Dynabass 200T run in stereo to give 400watts

I would like to upgrade my amps, but have not decided to what yet
prolly end up with a Gallien Kruger or Hartke rig, my preference is to use a 1X15 and a 4X10 cab together

now I know there are other musicians here, I'd love to discuss gear and tone
Victory without honour, is more shameful then defeat.

bjornredtail

I play the cello, and my gear sucks... Sortof.

I play in my university's Symphony and in my university's Arab Music Music ensemble. Which means I'm in late-night rehearsal 4 nights a week. Of course, it's not like I'd be studying at that time.

My current gear:
- A 4/4 cello that I've owned since middle school. Plywood back, solid front and a decant amount of damage to the puferings. It's ugly, but it plays reasonably well.
- Strings: Larson A and D, Helicore C and G. I like the Helicore strings on the bottom, they are so dark and soft to play on. They also have plenty of power for the groups I'm playing in. I don't care that much for the Larson strings. They are nice and loud, but I think they are too bright.
- Bow: Glasser X series carbon fiber bow. It's got a warp and it feels like a Mack truck. This is no. 1 on my upgrade list. I want a Codabow Diamond NX or GX, or perhaps a similar carbon bow. I'll need to try it out before I buy. There is just so much that is subjective about bows.
0==={=B=J=O=R=N=R=E=D=T=A=I=L==>
AKA, Nevadacow
First person to ever play RWL

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Visit http://frostnflame.org today!