"Golden age" vs "Platinum age" RWL

Started by Firetooth, May 29, 2011, 02:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firetooth

A note:

"Golden age" is a term referring to an older era of RWL. "Platinum age" is the current era, however the only person I've seen use the term is Purpy D haha.

Anyway, into the topic. There was a large debate over this way back in the begining of the turbo round in the "dispensation of justice" thread. Most of the oldbies seemed convinced RWL needed to return to the old days, but after last round I would like to contest that point as the round was definetly one of the worst I've played for a long time. I don't have the time atm to write a massive long post, so I'll leave you to discuss, and summarize my points in a list:

• The supposed return of diplomacy didn't work because it became an overpowering force and meant you couldn't enjoy the game as you were too focus on all the background stuff...for 2 days I couldn't run because I didn't trust anybody to hold my net
  • On that note, the spies everywhere also kind of ruined the round as you didn't know who to trust or who to accept into your clan
  • The "RWL IS NOT HAPPY PONY RAISING FOOLS!" attitude also stunk. A bunch of kills held back everybodies net and just meant that the clans with the most manpowers prevailed opposed to those with the most skill
  • Even though I actually support the return of rp posts, nobody else bothered except TS (one of the few things I will congratulate him on) so it didn't work and everybody was still as bitter towards everyone else as before
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

The Lady Shael

Firefight are you effing serious? This round was far from a failurein terms  of action and activity, the only thing that brought this round down was you whining about other players every few days.

Again you can't knock the old days if you never experienced it. It's true it's impossible to make things the way they once were but old players are coming back and the forums have not been this fun or active in YEARS so stop complaining!
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Firetooth

Firefight again, lol.

And no, if you think this is a thread because I'm bitter, your wrong. I won't name drop anybody, but most people seem to acknowledge this was not a good round. If you want to brush away my points, fine. I'm offering my opinion on a debate which is ongoing, and all you seem to be able to do is insult and ignore me.

Edit: That's my point. Activity is good, but that shouldn't effect the game. I think it's no co-incidence that this round had so many oldbies and was so unenjoyable because of the whole diplomacy row. Also, hypocritical to knock me for not experiencing the old days when most the people calling for a return to the old days are oldbies and haven't experienced the current rounds or played the game for years...people need to accept that things change.
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Shadow

Last round was in no way a callback to the golden age. It would have been, if people had fought back. But they didn't.

That is the point the oldies were trying to make: People now are afraid to go to war, because everything is personal now. It shouldn't be. And people made it even more personal last round. Which is why it sucked (and it did suck). But it was not at all anything like the golden age. Not even close.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Firetooth

The diplomacy area was similar to "the golden age," or at least people such as Neo seem to want diplomacy to have a larger role. And, as I said, things were personal because of the diplomacy, mainly the MSN convo's. I tried RP'ing and nobody else bothered except TS.

Also, what about the kills? That was because of the old days attitude. Right from the start, 3kills for the shocking crime of sacking somebody!

Shadow

No, the diplomacy was nothing like the golden age. It was attempted, and within KM it was, but the way that other clans interacted with it was not at all like it was back then.

Not that it could be expected to change so quickly! I didn't expect it to suddenly revert, and I don't think anyone else did. But it is a start, and as soon as people stop taking attacks and broken alliances personally, you will be able to experience what they actually mean by it.

For example, Kilk and I were often on msn while Lucy and I were taking down his teammates. It was fun! Trash talk and all. (Stupid Kilk). But it was not personal. That's what it should be.

Firetooth

That's my point. I never said it was identical, and I should clarify that as a more recent player, I do not pretend to fully understand all the golden age etiquette, but as you said, it was a start, and the worst round I can remember was synonymous with that start.

Edit: With Kilk, I was mainly accused and called "self-absorbed." I wouldn't say our interactions were all negative, but they were hardly the way you describe it. With MSN, it's impossible to moderate and tell what is and isn't personal. I agree, things shouldn't be so personal. Which is why I'm so annoyed nobody else bothered rp-posting.

Shadow

Now who isn't accepting change? ^_^

It's all in fun. We just need to get back to that mentality as a group, and things will come out for the better, I think.

But you can do your part to stop it, and make things fun at the same time, by fighting back and owning poeple! I know you're good at it, we have done takedowns together before. Stop worrying about the fallout, I promise that nobody pushing for this change will take things personally.

The Lady Shael

If I was not confined to typing responses on my phone I would certainly respond to your points in full. As it stands for now I will attempt to answer as best I can.

The reason those people initially called this a bad round was because they tried to make it fun but others whined about it.

I still don't understand why this debate is even necessary because obviously with all this activity and competition the RWL Revolution is doing something right. You can't argue with the proof of activity. The newbies are having a blast too... Firetooth the only one not having fun is you.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Firetooth

Initially? Every poster in this thread who played the round admitted it was rubbish.

The debate is necessary because if you wish to change the site, the players should at least be able to express their opinions. Also, I don't think this round was as active as you seem to be trying to get across, and there really wasn't any competition at all.

Finally, revolutions are boring. Often, the changes don't change anything or are worse, and eventually you end back where you started. Hence the "revolve."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn_%28geometry%29

Sharptooh

Quote from: The Lady Shael on May 29, 2011, 02:31:21 PM
the only thing that brought this round down was you whining about other players every few days.

Firetooths wining may have been slightly annoying, and he never seems to like letting a point go  :D ,but I can see some justifications for his whining this round

I'm not going to go ranting (and my opinion probably doesn't count for much after this round) but I can say that this is one of the least enjoyable rounds that I've played

*might make a longer post here later, can't be bothered atm*

Shadow

QuoteInitially? The two posters in this thread who actually played the round have both said the round sucked...
We think it sucked for very different reasons. Once I left the clans and started taking people own I had a blast.

QuoteThe debate is necessary because if you wish to change the site, the players should at least be able to express their opinions. Also, I don't think this round was as active as you seem to be trying to get across, and there really wasn't any competition at all.
Yes, but that was the fault of the potential competition, not KM. They tried very hard to make it competitive, but nobody fought back. It wasn't active precisely because of what RWL has become, these past few years. And I admit that I am at least partly at fault for that.

Firetooth

Exactly, once you left the clans, because the diplomacy completely ruined that aspect throughs spies and the such.

Shadow, you and nobody else are at fault for this. People play in the way they want to play. Demanding they change their style because things have changed is, in my opinion, very arrogant and is ignoring a large part of your current playerbase.

Shadow

Harsh ^_^ But yes, some of the changes I have pushed through have lead to reduced competition, and I am in the process of rethinking those.

I am not demanding that anybody change their playing style. Just that they remain open to the way the oldies play. It was a lot of fun, and this round was not it.

Sharptooh

Quote from: Shadow on May 29, 2011, 02:54:57 PM
They tried very hard to make it competitive, but nobody fought back.

Trying to make it competitive by Allying with the second biggest clan then destroying the third biggest clan from the inside doesn't seem to be a great way of making it competitive, I suppose it made a lot of people angry enough to destroy a ton of net though

Quote from: Shadow on May 29, 2011, 02:39:00 PM
That is the point the oldies were trying to make: People now are afraid to go to war, because everything is personal now. It shouldn't be. And people made it even more personal last round. Which is why it sucked (and it did suck). But it was not at all anything like the golden age. Not even close.

True everything is personal now, I'll admit I took a few things personally this round, which I didn't realise I was doing, and if this round has taught me anything it's that I've got to try and not do that in the future. But trying to make the game more impersonal will have casualties, it looks like Varg has already gone inactive in both games and forums ( I may be wrong here ) because of this.

I can also see how some people might take this personally, working hard netting for a month then getting it destroyed for little to no reason would probably annoy the most detached of people