Awesome Movies from your childhood that really aren't that awesome anymore

Started by Holby, August 11, 2011, 09:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holby

I was watching Hook (1991) tonight. It wasn't quite as cool and exciting as I remembered as a kid.

Have you rewatched any movies lately you used to love, but realise now are a bit lame?

Or do you often find the opposite, and they get cooler 'cos you can understand them a bit better?
I will not deleted this

Firetooth

Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Neobaron

Aristocats. I was in love with this movie forever.

Then I watched it on a whim and couldn't help but think how ridiculous it was.

---

Also the Brave Little Toaster, seen from an adult perspective, is very dark and not appropriate for its target audience.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Genevieve

Quote from: Neobaron on August 11, 2011, 09:14:06 AM
Aristocats. I was in love with this movie forever.

Then I watched it on a whim and couldn't help but think how ridiculous it was.

This. Except I was even more in love with it.

Holby

I will not deleted this

Firetooth

Quote from: Holby on August 11, 2011, 09:16:21 AM
Quote from: Firetooth on August 11, 2011, 09:13:27 AM
All the Star Wars prequels. :(
Aww. I still reckon Revenge of the Sith is alright.

Yeah, it's definitely the best of the three, but every time Anikan and Padme are both on the screen and talking I facepalm. (started doing it when I was like 12)

They all could've been good movies (except attack of the clones) and all had at least one interesting villain or character exclusive to that film (except attack of the clones) and all had one decent lightsaber battle (except attack of the clones).

Funny thing is even though I hate that film, especially Jango Fett and the clones, when it first came out I loved it and had a colouring book (with Jango Fett on the cover!) and stuff. I even have some ancient video games based on it...most of which have better acting and storylines. :P

I can't remember anything from aristocats except the beginning and a part where they drink some cream on a truck or something. :-\ I watched it when I was like 6 or so.
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Genevieve

I had a bit of a crush on Thomas O'Malley. O'Malley the alley cat...

Holby

Quote from: Firetooth on August 11, 2011, 09:22:34 AM
Quote from: Holby on August 11, 2011, 09:16:21 AM
Quote from: Firetooth on August 11, 2011, 09:13:27 AM
All the Star Wars prequels. :(
Aww. I still reckon Revenge of the Sith is alright.

Yeah, it's definitely the best of the three, but every time Anikan and Padme are both on the screen and talking I facepalm. (started doing it when I was like 12)

They all could've been good movies (except attack of the clones) and all had at least one interesting villain or character exclusive to that film (except attack of the clones) and all had one decent lightsaber battle (except attack of the clones).

Funny thing is even though I hate that film, especially Jango Fett and the clones, when it first came out I loved it and had a colouring book (with Jango Fett on the cover!) and stuff. I even have some ancient video games based on it...most of which have better acting and storylines. :P

I can't remember anything from aristocats except the beginning and a part where they drink some cream on a truck or something. :-\ I watched it when I was like 6 or so.

I was a bit older than you, so the craze didn't quite hit me in the same way :P

The love story bit is really awful. It's so stilted and forced.

More generally, As far as love stories go in movies, the older I've become, the more cynical I am about them. By and large, I find the characters so melodramatic and full of themselves, regardless of how well the movie is made.

I will not deleted this

Firetooth

Yeah, I agree. I can forgive most love films if they have decent lines, but star wars? Ep 5 and 6 did it well, Ep 2 and 3 made you want to kill yourself. That bit in epc 3. on the balcony.

"Only because I'm so in love with you."

"Then love has blinded you?"

:-X It's burned into my brain seeing as I was 5/6 when ep 2 came out and 8/9 when ep 3. came out.

Shadow

You know a movie that didn't get crappy when I got older? Winnie the Pooh! (Haven't seen the remake yet, but I saw the original a few months ago and it was still awesome).
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Holby

I really only remember Winnie the Pooh in cartoon series form. I never read the books as a kid, either.

I still think the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie (1990) is pretty wicked.

I forgive it its flaws because it's so funny/dated. It was probably my most watched film between the ages of 3 and 6.
I will not deleted this

Genevieve

Krowdon

I never really liked any Star Wars.

and I still love most Disney movies. :)

Quote from: Genevieve on August 11, 2011, 09:49:50 AM
All Harry Potter movies and books ever.

Prisoner of Azkaban is best.
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Holby

I will not deleted this

Neobaron

Quote from: Genevieve on August 11, 2011, 09:49:50 AM
All Harry Potter movies and books ever.

This is a pretty good one. The worst bit is that Emma Watson is really hot now but the second image in my head whenever she pops up is her as an 8 year old wizard with all that hair.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.