Puzzles mini-game

Started by Sharptooh, September 02, 2011, 03:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharptooh

I remember mini-games were talked about a while ago, and whilst looking into debates about the best JavaScript Framework to use I stumbled accross script.aculo.us , and on their homepage was featured a pretty cool puzzle minigame:

http://madrobby.github.com/scriptaculous/puzzle-demo/

this could be integrated quite easily (as most of the hard work is done alread)

The only hard part would be providing images.

The new RWL artwork could obviously be used, but maybe a community competition could be run to get some new artwork for the puzzle, I know some quite artistic people visit the forums

It also monitors how many moves it takes you to complete the puzzle, so maybe more moves could = bigger reward?

Firetooth

I approve of all mini-games/activities.

A skiff racing minigame would be a good thing to add, imo.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Rakefur

Quote from: Firetooth on September 02, 2011, 04:07:00 PM

I had thought of this myself.
Quote from: Pippin on October 13, 2011, 04:40:07 PM
RAKEFUR IS 8% PIRATE 90% SMACK TALK AND 2% STOOPID
Quote from: Kilkenne on January 30, 2012, 08:23:56 PM
"I want in. Only I want to be a nazi."-Rakefur 2012

Shadow Assassin

Good idea I like it

Quote from: Firetooth on September 02, 2011, 04:07:00 PM

That would be cool as

Shadow

<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Kilkenne

Curious how this would impact performance. When multiple people are spamming turns at the same time, it generally brings RWL to its knees. It might be something that can't be implemented unless a new host is found.

Sharptooh

Quote from: Kilkenne on September 03, 2011, 12:12:38 PM
Curious how this would impact performance. When multiple people are spamming turns at the same time, it generally brings RWL to its knees. It might be something that can't be implemented unless a new host is found.

JavaScript is a client side scripting language so I doubt it would put a heavy toll on the servers, passing the image might take a bit of server power?

Kilkenne

It's still got to communicate the data to the user, and about the user if you're winning/losing or whatnot. I'm not saying that it's a huge thing, but as of right now, if you are spam attacking (F5 + enter) you can bring the server to its knees already.

Firetooth

Bluehost isn't a reliable host anyway. The site supposedly being down for 30-60mins for maintenance turns into hours down, and only three people were running turns.

I was tempted to make a skiff racing game myself, but my mediocre (at best!) skills would be unsatisfactory.
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Kilkenne

That was "Scheduled Maintenance". If the however many people running turns had anything to do with it, it would just show a connection to server disrupted message. This downtime was just a terrible maintenance schedule that doesn't fit within their 30-60 minute parameters.

Firetooth

True, but before that I was being sent to a "your browser can't find this web address" page, or something. Either way, it shows that Bluehost's service suck. You weren't here when it happened, but they nearly lost the site...literally, and as it was the site was down for several days iirc. I'll try linking to the thread.

Kilkenne

Ollie showed me it, and his correspondence with them, all good.

Firetooth

Peace's response was amusing...I think he told the tech support guy to "take a smoke?" :D

Sharptooh

I swear they shouldn't need to do maintenance this often 0_o

I think it's just an excuse for their servers being dreadful

Dark Claws

Not a bad idea, but might defeat the purpose of  a Promisance. Start small and see how that works out.
Welcome the most annoying person on Earth, oh look Dark Claws just walked in.

@(*_*)@. Either a monkey, or Princess Leai on drugs.

What happens when a permanent resident deletes their account?

Like an assistant