RWL: 3.0 "Worker's Paradise" Development Thread

Started by Kilkenne, January 01, 2012, 08:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rakefur

Possibly Durza, though I feel that the "vettier" you are, the more likely you'll go in cause you'll be able to MAKE new strats. Definitely NOT by popularity, I guessing Sevz is going to get to be playing. (no offense sevz)

I think this will make the game more realistic and most likely much more fun to play. I'm not going to have hundreds of billions of dollars at the end of the set. The part about the land passing is making me very happy, that was something that always bothered me. I mean, how does losing land help you rise above the others?
Quote from: Pippin on October 13, 2011, 04:40:07 PM
RAKEFUR IS 8% PIRATE 90% SMACK TALK AND 2% STOOPID
Quote from: Kilkenne on January 30, 2012, 08:23:56 PM
"I want in. Only I want to be a nazi."-Rakefur 2012

The Masked Wolf

Quote from: cloud on February 02, 2012, 06:40:08 PM
Aggressive and weak have no correlation. I know a bunch of weak people that are aggressive, and if they get aggressive towards the wrong people they get put in their place. Know your place.

Let's go, say that to mah face...5 words: I don't give a crap! >:

Shadow

Right now we are just testing things and tweaking numbers. The actual beta, in the sense of people actually playing the game, will be open. So don't worry about it.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

The Masked Wolf

Aggressive and weak have no correlation. I know a bunch of weak people that are aggressive, and if they get aggressive towards the wrong people they get put in their place. Know your place.

Vargarth

The admins are a nice bunch. . . They will choose a fair variation of skill levels.
Collapsing and Expanding Dem Categories with no help from Kilk!

Ashyra Nightwing

Am I the only one who thinks this sounds incredibly complex and is likely to deter new players?

The whole thing is very interesting; however it really comes across as something that's perfect for veterans but near impossible for new players (and I mean players totally new to Promisance) to pick up. It doesn't seem all that intuitive. It's also a pretty huge change. I trust you guys to introduce the changes slowly and with plenty of warning, but I'm concerned about a huge drop-off in player numbers when this thing finally goes into effect.

Please bear this in mind: I'm not mad about the forthcoming changes. I'm just a little concerned. Maybe keep a 'RWL: Classic' server running? I've been up for over 20 hours and I could barely formulate this post, I'm sorry if this sounds like a ragepost. It's not and I'm very interested in getting involved with the Glorious Revolution. I appreciate the development team's fantastic work and dedication to creating pretty much an entirely new game. I had no idea you'd been working on this. I'm sure any issues there are here are fixable. I'm just worried about people getting mad about change on the internet, haha

Vargarth

Quote from: Ashyra Nightwing on January 02, 2012, 04:13:19 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this sounds incredibly complex and is likely to deter new players?

The whole thing is very interesting; however it really comes across as something that's perfect for veterans but near impossible for new players (and I mean players totally new to Promisance) to pick up. It doesn't seem all that intuitive. It's also a pretty huge change. I trust you guys to introduce the changes slowly and with plenty of warning, but I'm concerned about a huge drop-off in player numbers when this thing finally goes into effect.

Please bear this in mind: I'm not mad about the forthcoming changes. I'm just a little concerned. Maybe keep a 'RWL: Classic' server running? I've been up for over 20 hours and I could barely formulate this post, I'm sorry if this sounds like a ragepost. It's not and I'm very interested in getting involved with the Glorious Revolution. I appreciate the development team's fantastic work and dedication to creating pretty much an entirely new game. I had no idea you'd been working on this. I'm sure any issues there are here are fixable. I'm just worried about people getting mad about change on the internet, haha

I agree with this... I think a good idea would be to keep the classic regular and turbo the same and then make a new server with these changes...
Collapsing and Expanding Dem Categories with no help from Kilk!

Shadow

I appreciate your concern, but to be honest I expect the exact opposite. When new players start at RWL, what do they do? They build a little bit of everything and try to keep their turns green. Which is exactly what you CAN'T do in the current RWL to get ahead, and is exactly what you HAVE to do in the new one.

While there are certainly as many layers of complexity as you care to explore in this version, many of them are quietly behind the scenes unless you want to interact with them - everything depends on workers, but workers join you for every building type including free land, so you will never be low on them even if you are only getting them accidentally ^_^

The fact that troops come from workers will be useful, but knowing it is not necessary to make troops - you will always have workers. Likewise with leaders. Leader math now is either done for you, or depends more on numbers than ratios, so that aspect will be much simpler conceptually. Messing with the economic settings can give a player an edge, but leaving them as-is is perfectly viable and will likely be the usual option for most players. Etc etc. When building this thing, the main idea was "easy to get into, but hard to get good at".

On the other hand, veterans who are using to running one building type in the red are going to have the hardest time :)

Of course, if what you say is the case then it will be a while before we move this into regular play - and we won't rush that without the blessing of the community at large. This won't go into mainstream play until everyone is happy with it.

Finally, I actually have every intention of running a RWL classic server as long as space permits (which it should) even if/when this thing becomes mainstream.

The speed at which this project was done is simply because of opportunity - I had a lot of time over the break that I spent coding, whereas I usually can't.

The Masked Wolf

Shadow

Stop spamming one or two word posts! I am going to just delete posts like that without further warning.

Shadow
modding

Raggon

I think this development will actually help me, in that I get to basically start over along with everyone else.
Sounds fun! :D
I void warranties
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

The Masked Wolf

Quote from: Shadow on January 02, 2012, 06:02:24 PM
Stop spamming one or two word posts! I am going to just delete posts like that without further warning.

Shadow
modding

sorry..a'm not one for many words...

Kilkenne

I have decided that is appropriate to answer the questions about how complicated things are by making a photo essay for you to follow along with. Pictures and words are more fun to look at than just words, right?

Kilkenne

Sorry the words are a little small. Also I edited out my warlord name because it is borderline inappropriate and horrible.

I also made these in MSpaint, the best thing around.

Wolf Snare

this is pretty crazy. Kilk, shadow, sorry for senselessly bashing your ideas, I was ignorant of the changes taking place. I'm kinda excited to see this through now. anything I can help with boys?
1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. The Grand Optimist (#12)
1. Beast Mode (#7)