The Philosophical Warlord-Horde Dilemma of RWL

Started by Peace Alliance, February 12, 2012, 10:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peace Alliance

Every now and then there is a conflict that slips it's way into my mind. I can't seem to stop it from creeping into my thoughts and creating a dissonance. It is all because of the relationship between Warlord and Horde on RWL. This is a conflict that occurs because of the origins of the game, and if you don't know those then I will explain them in brief:

In 2002 few people got together and modified an open source game called Promisance to fit the Redwall theme. Promisance is a game where you create and control an empire. On Redwall, how ever, you create a Warlord... The game mechanics are basically the same, but instead of calling it your "empire" they called YOU a Warlord.

So wait, when I create a turbo account, is it a warlord, or is an empire? Is it a single character, or an empire? It bothers me that this isn't clear, and I don't know why!

You are asked to create a warlord name, and pick a race. So you would assume that this warlord is therefor the leader of an empire. So are the race statistics descriptive of the type of warlord you are? Do some warlords somehow produce more defense then others?

I'm not very good at the abstract, so I made a diagram of my dilemma:

As you can see, you could just as easily be creating a horde with a name and a race... Just everyone in your horde is 1 race. Then the assumption is that when you call the game Redwall: Warlords that YOU yourself are the warlord: The warlord is right there sitting in a chair in front of a computer. And you are commanding a horde. So I would be the Warlord Ollie, commanding the horde named Hidden Fox... But then are you creating a horde, or a warlord??

Let me know what you think.

cloud

I always assumed what you created was the Warlord and the Warlord's race.

Example:

My Warlord's name is Cloud and/or I am Cloud (depending on how far into RPing you want to go).

My Race is a Marten and because I'm a Marten my leadership style is set a certain way (hence the race stats/abilities).

Your "empire" would obviously not be all one race since troops are 4 different races.
"Through the wonders of scientific and mathematical reasoning, we can now reasonable infer that "cloud" is in fact "a bear"."
-Kilk

Once an emperor, always an emperor...

Neobaron

So... semantics?

Volkov made an account on reg. He is a food leader.
Volkov made an account on turbo. He is a money leader.
Volkov made an account on the forum. He is a lovely gentleman with excellent taste in most things.

I build a wall between all three to keep petty conflicts in one from affecting the other, but that never stopped me metagaming in turbo, on the forums, or in chats to get my way in reg, which is the only ~valid~ game in my opinion.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

cloud

"Through the wonders of scientific and mathematical reasoning, we can now reasonable infer that "cloud" is in fact "a bear"."
-Kilk

Once an emperor, always an emperor...

Neobaron

Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Peace Alliance

Quote from: Neobaron on February 13, 2012, 02:23:35 AM
So... semantics?
No, philosophy!

Ok, so we aren't warlords, we are just playing warlords. That makes sense, but i don't think that is the case for everyone, since there are warlord names like "norther hordes."

Ashyra Nightwing

I always assumed that the account name was the name of the horde. The player is the warlord, commanding the army.

Shadow

Quote from: Ashyra Nightwing on February 13, 2012, 12:08:48 PM
I always assumed that the account name was the name of the horde. The player is the warlord, commanding the army.
Agreed. Though in my case the warlord has such an ego as to name the horde after himself.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Durza

Quote from: Ashyra Nightwing on February 13, 2012, 12:08:48 PM

I believe this as well, because your horde is no made up of your race, it is made up of other races(your troops)
Question Mark (?)
Life is chaos, some of it is just more orderly.
Not liable for anything a Spa mod may change in my posts

Briar

I agree with Ashy. And think that Peace needs to have more of a life outside the interwebz if this is the sort of thing he sits around pondering about.
At the risk of ruining Briar's career by disparaging her find of the famous Sackaleaderer horse...

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II
Yes. I wear high heels Krowdon. Any tips on how I should do my hair?

Peace Alliance

Haha, trust me, i ponder the rwst of the world too. I ponder a lot.