RWL is moving hosts

Started by Peace Alliance, February 14, 2012, 04:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peace Alliance

Today I purchased server space with a new hosting company. So our servers will now be with A Small Orange.

The domain name for the website (redwallwarlords.com) will be changed to point to our new servers. So that means there will be some downtime in the next 7 days as it gets transferred.

So expect that within the next week RWL will be down for anywhere between a few hours, to a day.

It's for the best though, because the new host will most likely be way better. Also, they have more up-to-date technology, so we will be able to set things up so that your forum account logs you into the games (no more signing into reg and turbo, just 1 sign in on the forums).

We are also going to update the forums while we're at it. You may not notice much of a change except that we will lose our forum theme, and things will feel generally slicker.

Yay!

Raggon

Wow. Did not see that coming. What domain name will it change to?
I void warranties
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

cloud

Quote from: Raggon on February 14, 2012, 04:11:05 PM
Wow. Did not see that coming. What domain name will it change to?

PA just said the domain name is going to transfer so it shouldn't change...
"Through the wonders of scientific and mathematical reasoning, we can now reasonable infer that "cloud" is in fact "a bear"."
-Kilk

Once an emperor, always an emperor...

Raggon

I void warranties
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Firetooth

Congrats. I know how much trouble you've had with Bluehost and hopefully this will let you implement global accounts. :)
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Neobaron

Quoteso we will be able to set things up so that your forum account logs you into the games (no more signing into reg and turbo, just 1 sign in on the forums).

What does this have to do with global accounts?
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Firetooth

Quote from: Neobaron on February 14, 2012, 04:26:10 PM
Quoteso we will be able to set things up so that your forum account logs you into the games (no more signing into reg and turbo, just 1 sign in on the forums).

What does this have to do with global accounts?
If you're talking to me, in another thread Peace said they could make global accounts when they switched server, which was what I was actually referring to.

Though that pretty much sounds like global accounts/global logins to me, anyway?
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Neobaron

No, I was asking peace. :)

I don't see how universal login is tied to our host is all.

I am trying to learn a thing.

Firetooth

Ah I see. The fact my post was last before yours made me assume. :-[

Neobaron

[unfunnyregurgitation]Obligatory "you know what happens when you assume" comment. [/unfunnyregurgitation]

Peace Alliance

windy set things up so that the SMF forum login can be used instead of our own game logins. It worked on his server and the A Small Orange servers (that's the new host), but not on Bluehost because some of their software is out of date. It's all highly technical, and requires a wizard such as windhounds to understand.

I should also mention that this move is going to mean we are upgrading to SMF 2.0, which means the forums will be more up-to-date and we'll have to go a short time before we have our own forum theme again. Other then that we won't lose any forum info like our posts or accounts or anything.

Neobaron

QuoteIt's all highly technical, and requires a wizard such as windhounds to understand.

I'll ask windy.

Peace Alliance

You'll ask windy to make you a wizard? Good luck, I've been asking for years.

Neobaron

I'll ask windy for the details. I am curious if this is a coding thing for RWL or if you are using a network service to tie the accounts. Since you seem to indicate that the out of date software is the reason why the people who code RWL can't tie the accounts, it sounds like the latter to me.

One is within the bounds of my education and it would be interesting to see how it works.

The other I don't really care about.

windhound

lolNeo

Its something to do with the version of PHP and the various options that Bluehost chose to run with.  (seriously, if you've never looked at a php.ini do so.  sooo many flags).  I could probably figure out what the issue is by diff'ing the two php.ini files, but it was time to move anyhow.  Bluehost is a cheap hosting option, and the downtime we've experience clearly reflects this.  heh.

The new host, ASO, is running a Redhat base server so it matches what I'm running on my home server (Fedora 14). 
What would run smoothly on my home test server and ASO just dies on bluehost.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't