Previous topic - Next topic

Who is the president going to be?

Rick Santorum
Newt Gingrich
Mitt Rommney
Barrack Obama
Other

abartell

Who do you think the president is going to be?
I'm really a squirrel but don't tell any one

Peace Alliance

The only one who would give Obama any challenge would be Romney. The other two alienate the moderates. I bet there are a few people on these forums whom traditionally vote republican, but wont't bring themselves to vote for Gingrich or Santorum.

Neobaron

BO will win because the pubs can't pick a leader.

Far too divided.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Sharptooh

Why is Ron Paul not on this list?

Edit: Also what Neo said, Obama looks likely to win because the Republicans are too busy tearing each other apart

Shadow

Doesn't this always happen, though? The GOP likes their ridiculously publicized leadup to the actual election, but once a leader is chosen, is the vote ever that split?

I think there are a lot of people who will vote "not Obama" regardless of who ends up being not Obama.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Sharptooh

Personally I'm still confused about America's whole election system thing :/

And to be honest, from what I can remember, obama has been all talk no action, he promised many things (Mostly a change, which is very vague) but he hasn't seemed to deliver much.

Neobaron

No, he hasn't. And he has switched sides or almost swiched sides on a number of issues.

In his defense, our stupid two party system guaranteeing that nothing ever gets done if one side holds a simple majority in either branch or the presidency has hampered him a lot.
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Sharptooh

Why are there only two parties? Iirc you can run as a third party?

Shadow

You can, but you have literally no chance of getting any votes.

Sharptooh

Surely that is the fault of the people and not the system though?

And I've heard of at least one third party winning, so it can't be quite impossible

Shadow

Doesn't matter whose fault it is, it's the reality ^_^

If a third party won, it wasn't recently.

Sharptooh

Quote from: Shadow on February 20, 2012, 12:11:47 PM
Doesn't matter whose fault it is, it's the reality ^_^

Hmmm, I suppose.

Quote from: Shadow on February 20, 2012, 12:11:47 PM
If a third party won, it wasn't recently.

The one I'd heard of was:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Ventura

Although granted, that was a while back

Peace Alliance

Third party doesn't win the presidency, you can win as an independent, but you'd never have a big enough party to win the presidency.

Obama promised things he couldn't accomplish. Every politician does this, the only difference is that we actually believed Obama. That said, getting the health care system in is an historic accomplishment (flawed though it may be). He has accomplished a lot, and certainly accomplished more (in terms of progress) then George W.

But he still hasn't closed Guantanamo, he signed a bill allowing the US military to indefinitely detain US citizens w/o charge, and is still allowing the the banks to run the country. All of which is disappointing, but none of which would be dealt with by any republican (except maybe Ron Paul).

Shadow

Quotean historic
I hate you

Sharptooh

But what has Obama accomplished other than the widely hated and poorly implemented health bill?

Quote from: Peace Alliance on February 20, 2012, 12:26:14 PM
But he still hasn't closed Guantanamo, he signed a bill allowing the US military to indefinitely detain US citizens w/o charge, and is still allowing the the banks to run the country. All of which is disappointing, but none of which would be dealt with by any republican (except maybe Ron Paul).

Ron Paul definitely sounds like the most interesting Republican candidate to me, apparently he's got lots of delegates (or some such like) which are important for nomination.

I think it would be interesting if he won the race.