Who is the president going to be?

Rick Santorum
Newt Gingrich
Mitt Rommney
Barrack Obama
Other

Sharptooh

The world now is very different to the world in the 1940's

I disagree with the whole non-interventionalist also.

Is it ok to debate this much in a polling topic? Or should something like this have it's home in the UMD?

Quote from: Gen. Volkov on February 20, 2012, 03:48:41 PM
Anyway, it's also because Ron Paul is insane. He might wield some influence in the insane republican circles, but he is not going to get elected.

He seems to be the most sane of the candidates to me, saying that I have only casually been following the race for nomination

Ashyra Nightwing

Quote from: Neobaron on February 20, 2012, 03:50:38 PM
Volkov you just implied that Ron Paul would lead to nazi invasions.

http://newsone.com/nation/casey-gane-mccalla/anonymous-reveals-close-ties-between-ron-paul-and-neo-nazis/

Ron Paul is the Nazi invasion, man :O

Gen. Volkov

Quote from: SharptoohThe world now is very different to the world in the 1940's

Only because we have nukes now. LOL.

QuoteHe seems to be the most sane of the candidates to me, saying that I have only casually been following the race for nomination

He's not. Example: He wants people to be able to print their own money.

Quote from: Ashyra NightwingRon Paul is the Nazi invasion, man

OK, maybe Ron Paul would lead to a Nazi invasion. LOL.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Neobaron

I hope you're joking ashy. :3
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Shadow

Quote from: abartell on February 20, 2012, 03:38:57 PM
i agree but it seems everyone is either corrupt or not that good of a choice like i was gonna go with donald trump but he dropped out thats ok though i couldn't vote anyway i'm only 13

I didn't think that people who would have voted for Donald Trump actually existed. Are you sure you aren't a figment of Donald Trump's imagination?
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Sharptooh

Quote from: Gen. Volkov on February 20, 2012, 03:57:06 PM
He's not. Example: He wants people to be able to print their own money.

I haven't read that before, from my understanding he was opposed to the printing of money to control inflation (he wants to abolish the fed)

Shadow

QuoteHe's not. Example: He wants people to be able to print their own money.
This sounds like the sort of thing that is lacking context.

Gen. Volkov

It really isn't Shadow, that's the thing.

QuotePaul supports legalization of parallel currencies, such as gold-backed notes issued from private markets and digital gold currencies. He would like gold-backed notes (or other types of hard money) and digital gold currencies to compete on a level playing field with Federal Reserve Notes, allowing individuals a choice whether to use sound money or to continue using fiat money. Paul believes this would restrain monetary and price inflation, limit government spending, and eventually eliminate the ability of the Federal Reserve to "tax" Americans through monetary inflation (i.e., by reducing the purchasing power of the currency they are holding), which he sees as "the most insidious of all taxes".

-Wikipedia, actually really well sourced too.

Parallel currencies= printing your own money.

Ron Paul = Bugnuts crazy

More Ron Paul crazy:

QuoteHe rejects the notion of "separation of Church and state"

QuotePaul sought in the 1980s and 1990s to eventually abolish all public schools

Paul asserts that access to "education is not a right." He opposes all federal government scholarships and government loans for higher education, but is supportive of the offering of financial aid by private organizations.

QuotePaul has long held that land owned by the government should be sold to private developers. In addition to closing the Department of the Interior, his "Restore America" budget plan proposes selling off at least $40 billion worth of public lands such as national parks, and other federal assets, between 2013 and 2016.

But yeah, Paul is "the most sane of the candidates". :eyeroll:
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Shadow

Not quite. It means printing your own money against something of value that is actually there, rather like the gold standard.

Not that it is a good system, but there is more to it than printing arbitrary amounts of money - there is collateral behind it.

Neobaron

Uh

I guess that is one way of looking at it.

I read it in the context of BitCoin.

---

This post was aimed at Volkov.

Sharptooh

There are already parallel currencies here in Britain (unless I am misunderstanding the term) Bristol pound etc. granted these currencies are not gold backed.

What's so bad about gold backed notes printed by the public anyway? You make it seem like a dreadful idea but it would be in essence what currencies were until the 20th century, it's not like value is being conjured up from nowhere (from what I read this is what you are attempting to insinuate)

Shadow puts in a better way what I am trying to say with that last paragraph

Ashyra Nightwing

Bitcoin was a pyramid-scheme type scam at heart, though, really - it's hardly a good example of why people should be allowed to create their own currencies.

Neobaron

I would disagree with that at length but I don't have time.

Would make a good UMD topic though.

Gen. Volkov

Quote from: ShadowNot quite. It means printing your own money against something of value that is actually there, rather like the gold standard.

Not that it is a good system, but there is more to it than printing arbitrary amounts of money - there is collateral behind it.

It's a system we had very early on in the US, under the Articles of Confederation. It made interstate trade so difficult, it nearly tore apart the country. Parallel currencies= BAD IDEA.

Quote from: Sharptooh
What's so bad about gold backed notes printed by the public anyway? You make it seem like a dreadful idea but it would be in essence what currencies were until the 20th century, it's not like value is being conjured up from nowhere (from what I read this is what you are attempting to insinuate)

They don't have to be gold-backed Sharpy, that's the thing. It said "such as", it didn't say the only currencies that would be allowed would be gold backed.

Anyway, point is, Ron Paul is fundamentally crazy, and while many people like specific ideas of his, the overall insanity makes him a nonviable candidate. I dunno about you guys, but I think keeping Yellowstone National Park around is a good thing.

Neobaron

I think you're just looking at extremes V.