Hash browns
Everything that's on my breakfast plate
French Toast
Scrambled Eggs
Ham
Other
Bacon

Peace Alliance

Any self-respecting Canadian knows the difference between real maple syrup and the fake stuff (table syrup). But apparently you yanks don't make a proper distinction between the two. So before you answer this poll, you have to find out if you're using the REAL stuff. Putting fake maple syrup on doesn't count.

How to tell:

Taste... But you may not know what the real stuff tastes like, so that doesn't work. Table syrup is sickly sweet, while maple syrup is strong, powerful and perfect tasting. Maple syrup is universally loved - table syrup is not.

Price... Real maple syrup is super expensive, especially outside of my county here in Canada which calls itself the "maple syrup capital of the world."  Which is actually why i'm asking, because I use maple syrup a lot and realized the rest of the world might rarely use it.

Ingredients... real maple syrup has only 1 ingredient: pure maple syrup.

Shadow

maple syrup on bacon

also occasionally in shot glasses.

Made it myself once. Tapped a Maple tree, collected about 4L of sap and boiled it for hours. Best thing ever.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Peace Alliance

wow fun! I knew lots of my friends as kids had sugar bushes. We used to visit them, it was fun.

Ashyra Nightwing

I don't know if I've ever had real maple syrup before, but I've had regular maple syrup on ice cream :3

Night Wolf

Waffles, pancakes, bacon, scrambled eggs, french toast

Peace Alliance

Quote from: Ashyra Nightwing on March 11, 2012, 10:09:21 AM
I don't know if I've ever had real maple syrup before, but I've had regular maple syrup on ice cream :3
lol regular

Durza

I had it once and loved its taste.  We had breakfast for dinner and it got on everything, making it delicious.
Question Mark (?)
Life is chaos, some of it is just more orderly.
Not liable for anything a Spa mod may change in my posts

Dark Claws

The real maple syrup we get sucks for some reason. I don't know if they put in some preservatives or something but it just tastes so bad. I use Aunt Jemina's syrup because its not that bad. As for that, waffles and pancakes.
Welcome the most annoying person on Earth, oh look Dark Claws just walked in.

@(*_*)@. Either a monkey, or Princess Leai on drugs.

What happens when a permanent resident deletes their account?

Like an assistant

Shadow

Quote from: Dark Claws on March 11, 2012, 08:11:18 PM
The real maple syrup we get sucks for some reason. I don't know if they put in some preservatives or something but it just tastes so bad. I use Aunt Jemina's syrup because its not that bad. As for that, waffles and pancakes.
..That's not maple syrup. That's barely even syrup.

Maple syrup does not have preservatives. If it does, then it is just something named real syrup, but is not actually real.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Peace Alliance

I got interested and started reading about it, and apparently in the US it doesn't have to be pure maple syrup in order to be called "maple syrup."

This is one of the things I like about our health regulations in Canada. We're that much closer to transparency with our product labels.

Rakefur

I love maple syrup. I always have a jug of real stuff in my fridge.
Quote from: Pippin on October 13, 2011, 04:40:07 PM
RAKEFUR IS 8% PIRATE 90% SMACK TALK AND 2% STOOPID
Quote from: Kilkenne on January 30, 2012, 08:23:56 PM
"I want in. Only I want to be a nazi."-Rakefur 2012

Gen. Volkov

I have relatives who live in Maine, and an annual Christmas gift from them for awhile was real maple syrup. Also, Indiana is close enough to main maple syrup collection areas in the US to get the real stuff fairly cheaply anyway. There definitely is a taste difference. However, in my opinion, maple syrup only belongs on bread-type foods. Waffles, pancakes, French toast. It detracts from the flavor of various breakfast meats. Not that I won't eat them if they have maple syrup on them, but I prefer to confine the syrup to the bread-type things.

Anyway, since we are engaging in culinary snobbery, since I am pretty sure I am the only person of Polish descent on this board, I am going to tell you all right now that you are almost certainly eating Polish sausage (kielbasa) at the wrong time of day, and preparing it the wrong way. Eaten at the right time of day and prepared the way the Polish prepare it, Polish sausage is literally the best thing ever.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Genevieve

you're a polish sausage

Night Wolf

Quote from: Gen. Volkov on March 12, 2012, 06:01:54 AM
Anyway, since we are engaging in culinary snobbery, since I am pretty sure I am the only person of Polish descent on this board, I am going to tell you all right now that you are almost certainly eating Polish sausage (kielbasa) at the wrong time of day, and preparing it the wrong way. Eaten at the right time of day and prepared the way the Polish prepare it, Polish sausage is literally the best thing ever.
fried with barbeque sauce

Peace Alliance

Volkov, please explain how you think we eat it. As a breakfast thing?

I love kielbasa on my home made pizza's. It's cheaper then any other sausage. I'm sure it's not authentically Polish when it's on a pizza! haha.

I put it under the cheese so it doesn't get too crispy. You can't seriously suggest that you would let your polish roots prevent you from eating this masterful work of art, can you?

BTW, I make my own home made pizza sauce. Most pizza sauces are sugary (brown sugar mostly). I alternate between using a honey-lemon mix, or a maple-lime mix. Yes, even my pizza has maple syrup in it!