Turbo Turn Rate

Started by Peace Alliance, March 12, 2012, 12:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peace Alliance

Is anyone strongly opposed to changing the turn rate to 4 turns every 10 minutes.

Here's why I want to do it. Currently you get full turns every 18 hours, which means that if you are trying not to waste a single turn, you have to run 6 hours earlier every day.

That means some days you run twice, once you have 150 turns stored.

The result is that the top ranking players are in reality simply the players who are less busy, and spend all their time camping the computer. I've noticed a few doing that this round (sevs does it every round).

They run more then anyone else, they get 2 runs in before we get 1. So they win. I don't think that's fair.

If we switch to 4 turns, then we will get full turns every 23 hours, which means you if you run at the same time every night, you will lose 1 hours worth (30) turns every day. Those who make perfect use of their turns will hardly be more then 1 run ahead by the end of the round.

Let me know if you are strongly disagreeing.

Shadow

My only objection would be that if you end up running later than usual some day it would be harder to reset your schedule to a good one. But overall I think this is a good idea.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Sharptooh

Sounds like a good idea to me, I always found it annoying trying to run as soon as I got full turns, and more often than not it ended up in me wasting potential turns a fair bit every round :/

Rakefur

Seems ok to me. I gave up trying to figure out what time I should run each day...
Quote from: Pippin on October 13, 2011, 04:40:07 PM
RAKEFUR IS 8% PIRATE 90% SMACK TALK AND 2% STOOPID
Quote from: Kilkenne on January 30, 2012, 08:23:56 PM
"I want in. Only I want to be a nazi."-Rakefur 2012

Raggon

I don't really like it, but that is just because I am busy and I always waste a lot of turns. So I am with PA.
I void warranties
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Gen. Volkov

QuoteThe result is that the top ranking players are in reality simply the players who are less busy, and spend all their time camping the computer. I've noticed a few doing that this round

I run once a day, usually, and I'm up top.

Actually, I don't want this. It takes long enough already for the turns to refill.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Firetooth

^I actually probably agree with Vokk, tbh. Sometimes I can only run at night, then only midday the next day.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Peace Alliance

Most of the concerns so far are addressed by the fact that you get a 150 turn buffer. So if you run late 1 day, you have stored turns making it so that you'll be back on full turns early enough to make up for it.

for example, after running every 24 hours, you'll have 150 turns stored. So if you need to move to the afternoon that'll be fine.

Volkov, if it makes you feel any better then lets say you're the exception to the rule. In my many years here on RWL I have noticed that it is the person who is online the most who wins. I could even pull up a topic or two where I accused Wolf Bite of having no life because he just say at his desk refreshing.

Sevah

I like it but that's what reg is for. I say make it a 12 hour game so people can log on twice and do more damage. More turns people have more independence they get and when someone gets a lead people can team up for easy standard attacks.
This cuddlefriendy suggestion was brought to you by Sevz.

Gen. Volkov

QuoteVolkov, if it makes you feel any better then lets say you're the exception to the rule. In my many years here on RWL I have noticed that it is the person who is online the most who wins. I could even pull up a topic or two where I accused Wolf Bite of having no life because he just say at his desk refreshing.

Eh, I'll accept that the person with the most activity is generally higher up, but there is skill involved too. Noobs spend plenty of time logged in, and get no closer to the top.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sevah

It's called Turbo aye. If you slow down the turns call it WalkingPace  :)

Peace Alliance

Yeah, this won't make newbs any better. But it will even the playing field for everyone else.

Gen. Volkov

Still don't like it, I think the turn refill rate is slow enough as is. If you really want to slow it down though, reduce stored turns, don't mess with the refill rate.

Sevah

Not really, you'll notice that I'm more solo and sloppy. I owe a few mates some stuff which is stashed on the market safely and whoever's on top gets beat down. Make the hitlimits bigger. 32 is better

Peace Alliance

lol,  Volkov stored turns don't effect the speed of your runs. They are only a buffer, because they allow you to be late running without wasting turns.

We could speed up the game, but I'd be more in favor of having another server if it required running twice a day - because I would never play it. It wouldn't be long before people realize that the winner is the person who had more time to sit around on the computer.

It's like a commanders round, except it's slowed down just enough so that folks can make the best use of their turns (usually commanders is so fast you don't bother trying to keep up with turns)

(Is Sevah carrying on a conversation with himself?)