Land flood

Started by Shadow, March 04, 2012, 11:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

People seem to be scouting at low land and dropping to the farm. Not sure if someone asked them to do this or what, but I really don't think it is a good thing for the game to see so much land so quickly.

There is limited value to dropping land at all in 3.0, to be honest. Should we even allow the feature?
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

cloud

it's useful for passing land among clanmates/allies.
"Through the wonders of scientific and mathematical reasoning, we can now reasonable infer that "cloud" is in fact "a bear"."
-Kilk

Once an emperor, always an emperor...

Shadow

would it interfere with things if we disallowed scouting for an hour after you dropped any amount of land?

cloud

Quote from: Shadow on March 04, 2012, 01:01:20 PM
would it interfere with things if we disallowed scouting for an hour after you dropped any amount of land?

That shouldn't be a problem.
"Through the wonders of scientific and mathematical reasoning, we can now reasonable infer that "cloud" is in fact "a bear"."
-Kilk

Once an emperor, always an emperor...

Raggon

That's a good idea considering that since you just dropped land, you wouldn't want more unless you want to pass the land to allies.
I void warranties
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Sevah

Why are you banning everything? When will it stop? People aren't even allowed to scout now?

I'm gonna repeat how I interpret your attitude so the public to understand how you think. People can decide when to agree or if they still wanna suck up to you it's fine and a conscious choice rather than being fooled to this day.

You expect people to play a defensive style but you want land to flow.
You make it so people can build a medium sized warlord but don't provide the ability to keep it safe unless they lock which nullifies the second party.
Upkeep is high so everyone requires some resources for next run but having those resources to finance next run will make you a sack target.
We're not allowed to stockpile cash or food because that's something you've never been able to do and pull off a win
You want us to use the market and then when everyone starts using it you add a very unreasonable tax
Leadering races have no productive missions.
Indy is crippled without a huge storage capacity on the market
Mercs are 100% a rip off for seller or buying since all indies will rely on minimum priced market transactions
Attacking someone higher or lower now has no relativity to valued defence.
Aid restrictions etc etc

When does it stop?
Obviously people were scouting land into the game because the main pool was well guarded. They have the choice to either try breaking someone at high costs, using turns on under 10k land or spending the first half of the run scouting dropping land the second half retrieving the land in preparation for success tomoro. Now you want to outlaw this aswell?

Will you be happy if everyone just agreed not to be successful?
What is your idea of the perfect gameplay?
Do I have to keep reporting my plans before I execute them so you don't have to wait and see how to nurf me?

Lately it seems you've done nothing more than literally rip off every single player. You complicated things so they can't work it out but everything in this game wreaks of a failing attitude. It stinks of changes based around jealousy and incompetence. I know how to make +30billion networth next round. Problem is you won't believe me until I do it since you know best.

You may be a better butt kisser than me to get into the position you're in but you really need to stop and look what your doing. Obviously you've got supporters but don't think that means your right. They just like you more than they like me cos I confront people rather than slither into their pockets.
Cmon people. Wake up and smell the coffee.
This cuddlefriendy suggestion was brought to you by Sevz.

Shadow

It's a process, Sevah. It's not perfect, but it is improving. If at the end of this people don't like it then I'll just try again ^_^. Coding this thing is fun. As oblit said, you are at the top, so you get hit more by changes than most others. It's not personal.

That being said, I think you really are alone in the attitude. Even Snare has said he likes the concept now that he has seen it, and he was the most vocal opposition beforehand.

I believe you could make 30b in a set with a good team locking. But the same thing was true in 2.0 as well, and we are not done balancing output yet. Wait a little longer before your head explodes please.

People would still be able to scout land into the game, just not 50k per run (more like 15k). Slower land growth also slows lock growth, and I think that part of what went into the early lock was the sudden abundance of land which nobody had time to take advantage of.

Sevah

The scouts are actually really bad for the person locking land. You don't know what you're talking about so don't pretend ya do.
I like Kilkenne's concept but you keep making drastic changes with lack of knowledge.

Shadow

You always start out so promising with suggestions and stuff, and I get hopeful that we might actually get somewhere, but it always descends into you insulting me within a couple of hours. And then you get mad when your suggestions aren't used.

Finish a coherent thought in a civil manner, forget that it is me coding this thing, and you might get somewhere. Your attitude isn't going to change how I operate, but your suggestions might if you ever saw some through to its logical conclusion.

People tried the land flood against us in reg when locking with Holby. The net result was an extra 300k land locked away in 3 days. Carefully planned land flood hinders locks, but most are not carefully planned. Poorly planned ones just result in more locking.

Knowledge of prom games is not mystical life experience, Sevs. They are pretty simple critters, conceptually. If you think you can do better, well, the code is open source and server space is cheap. Feel free.

Sevah

In reg you had 25people working towards holbyemp. The server is slower making it more predictable and maintainable once a position is gained. The whole time Holby moved into emperorship there was very little risk of failing with such excessive backup.
The land getting scouted was swooped up by supporters and not the emperor so referring to that instance is your way of justifying that you are right no matter what I say.

You don't know what you're talking about so stop pretending. Link me to the code page and i'll figure it out.

Shadow

With Holby we had 3 active members at any given time. We started with 6 or 7.

Sevz

I remember there was over 15 people. There were more people in the squad than there was outside the squad
Quote from: windhound on March 31, 2012, 05:10:16 PM
Coding out holes in the game is the best way to do things. 
Relying an the admins to patrol is a) time consuming for the admins in question b) unreliable c) only invites conflict
There is no conflict or "I didn't know any better!" excuses with a coded in rule.

Shadow

You are remembering it wrong