display troubles

Started by Shadow, April 30, 2012, 08:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peace Alliance

I don't think it's worth my time to support the 3% of our users who aren't willing to update their browser. Chances are they're only using IE8 at work or school, since 3% of our playerbase is like 1.5 people, lol.

Pippin

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/olivercr/public_html/rwl/turbo/pubmarketsell.php on line 160

just a small error that appears when i click the sells to mercs button on the market section and select nothing
1. Mike Oxlong (#14)
$16,999,999,999 with 275,000 Acres
3. AL CAPONE (#23)
$887,873,381 with 14,939 Acres
3. wrecking balls (#9)
$801,398,171 with 32,301 Acres
1. Nazgul (#5)
$1,503,190,327 with 201,952 Acres

Peace Alliance

ah, that would have been there before. Maybe shadow knows since I think that's his code.

Shadow

Whenever I log in to regular now, the first page that loads always has a larger font than usual. As soon as I load something else it goes away. Not a big issue, just odd.

About the market code: I can have a look at it later, but since it doesn't actually do anything it's not high on the list.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

windhound

Presumably, you can't foreach() a null value.  Just needs an if statement that checks if anything has been selected. 

I suspect the first page on Reg is inheriting some CSS from the login page Shadow.  It doesn't happen for me (Firefox 12, OS X) but its not surprising.  Isn't different-implementation-by-browser fun?

Not sure I like dropping IE8 support, IE9 was only released for Vista and newer.  But everyone with a non-corporate, up to date WinXP box should be running IE8.
They were still selling XP boxes as little as 3 years ago (my Lenovo S10 has XP, though most of the other brands at that time were running Win7 Home Starter (ew))

Sharpy, that chart was for all of IE. 
I'm assuming Ollie was basing his 3% number on Google Anaytics, the same place the chart came from.  So ~10% of IE users are IE8 or below.
Vista was launched Jan 2007, 5 years ago.  Most people seem to replace their computers atleast once every 5, so that about adds up. 
Netbooks (like my S10) continued shipping with mostly XP till 7 launched, so there's a year or two of stragglers. 

Still.  There's a lot of XP boxes out there still running happily.  Should probably have atleast a functional-if-ugly fallback.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Pippin

Total:      0   0

troops offense/defense totals don't show up
1. Mike Oxlong (#14)
$16,999,999,999 with 275,000 Acres
3. AL CAPONE (#23)
$887,873,381 with 14,939 Acres
3. wrecking balls (#9)
$801,398,171 with 32,301 Acres
1. Nazgul (#5)
$1,503,190,327 with 201,952 Acres

Sharptooh

Not sure if this is intentional, but in your HTML for the landing page your body tag comes before you DOCTYPE declaration and your head tag which means the DOCTYPE is rejected by browsers (can cause problems in IE)

Quote from: windhound on May 02, 2012, 09:27:15 AM
Sharpy, that chart was for all of IE. 

Sorry, I guess I should have clarified :/ what I meant to say was that if IE usage is around 30% for RWL I find it incredibly difficult to believe that 27% of that is IE9 and that only 3% is IE8 or below.

Although saying that you guys have the numbers to look at and I don't.

Peace Alliance

IE is 21%, only 29% of that is IE8, and 59% of those people are those people are new visitors. So of the folks on RWL only 2.49% are using IE8. In all of april there were only 5 unique visits where a returning visitor was using IE8. Quite likely those 5 visits were the same person, logging in at school or someplace where they hadn't accepted the update. IE8 now pushes the update to IE9 (i believe) so most people who aren't scared to click "accept" on an update, have updated.

windhound

Quote from: Peace Alliance on May 02, 2012, 03:41:25 PM
IE8 now pushes the update to IE9 (i believe) so most people who aren't scared to click "accept" on an update, have updated.
Nope.  Please see:
Quote from: windhound on May 02, 2012, 09:27:15 AM
Not sure I like dropping IE8 support, IE9 was only released for Vista and newer.  But everyone with a non-corporate, up to date WinXP box should be running IE8.
They were still selling XP boxes as little as 3 years ago (my Lenovo S10 has XP, though most of the other brands at that time were running Win7 Home Starter (ew))

Microsoft cut off WinXP at IE8, I just verified this with my XP VM.  It will go no higher, IE9 requires the newest DirectX (released on only Vista and above) to function, so millions and millions of perfectly serviceable WinXP computers are going to be running IE8.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Shadow

the training settings box in the handy stuff section doesn't list the troop names

Shadow

the "total" field in military status page does not display accurately troop contributions to attack and defense

Shadow

triple posting because I can

the above has been fixed