Science is cool

Started by Ashyra Nightwing, July 04, 2012, 10:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashyra Nightwing

Raggon

Um... Excuse my ignorance, but what is this Bigg Hosey thing?
I void warranties
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Ashyra Nightwing

As far as I understand it, it is the particle which gives other particles mass. The discovery means that science's current understanding of how very, very small things work is correct. It's another step in understanding how the world around us works :)

It is also the result of the largest ever scientific experiment.

The red circle indicates the tube through which particles were fired at very high speeds. It's 27km long.

You've probably seen this picture before. Contrary to the newspaper stories published before its creation, it is not a black-hole creating death tube that will destroy the universe as we know it. This is the sort of equipment needed to measure things as small as elementary particles. Particles are smashed together inside that big tube and scientists measure what is left over after the collision. People such as dreamy science man Professor Brian Cox have been working on this for years, and it's nice to see things working out for them.

Raggon

Oh. That Bigg Hosey thing
I void warranties
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Sharptooh

Gen. Volkov

Actually it was Fermilab that discovered the new evidence. They have since shut down their particle accelerator, but they were sifting through the mountains of data they had from when they were running it and found the newest, best evidence yet of the existence of the Higgs-boson.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Durza

The particle resonsible for gravity...soooooooo close to proof
Question Mark (?)
Life is chaos, some of it is just more orderly.
Not liable for anything a Spa mod may change in my posts

Pippin

science will only be cool when they figure out how to replicate another me for everyone to keep as a superior or loyal companion
1. Mike Oxlong (#14)
$16,999,999,999 with 275,000 Acres
3. AL CAPONE (#23)
$887,873,381 with 14,939 Acres
3. wrecking balls (#9)
$801,398,171 with 32,301 Acres
1. Nazgul (#5)
$1,503,190,327 with 201,952 Acres

Firetooth

Quote from: Pippin on July 04, 2012, 04:05:06 PM
science will only be cool when they figure out how to replicate another me for everyone to keep as a superior or loyal companion
A loyal companion? Like a pet? :P

Also, Brian Cox is...well, Brian Cox. I don't know how else to describe him.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Pippin

a sort of pet you could say, though more likely is they would be my pet but i'd treat you right

brian cox? that guys voice
1. Mike Oxlong (#14)
$16,999,999,999 with 275,000 Acres
3. AL CAPONE (#23)
$887,873,381 with 14,939 Acres
3. wrecking balls (#9)
$801,398,171 with 32,301 Acres
1. Nazgul (#5)
$1,503,190,327 with 201,952 Acres

Firetooth

I get Brian Cox and Brian May confused sometimes, simply because I don't know anybody else called Brian. Afterall, they're both scientists and rock legends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buL6ATRHFqk&feature=relmfu
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Genevieve

Quote from: Durza on July 04, 2012, 03:15:10 PM
The particle resonsible for gravity...soooooooo close to proof

Proof of what?

Durza

proof that gravity has its own associated particle, like electricty
Question Mark (?)
Life is chaos, some of it is just more orderly.
Not liable for anything a Spa mod may change in my posts

Holby

I am doing a story on this. It is very hard. I have spent all day making analogies to Justin Bieber.
I will not deleted this

Shadow

be sure to link us when you're done :)
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..