Replacing Mercenaries with the Market

Started by Firetooth, July 29, 2012, 07:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firetooth

The idea is pretty self-explanatory. After last round I think it might be an idea to get rid of mercenaries and have a player-driven economy instead, because it makes for more interesting diplomatic and economic relations with other empires. Plus, with the random events Shadow's working on I  you could occasionally encounter mercenaries when running turns.

eg. "you are approached by a band of mercenaries and traders, offering to sell you food or be employed as troops."

Maybe a few changes would have to be made to the market if mercenaries was removed, such as troops entering the market slightly quicker then they do now, maybe 4hours compared to 6hours. Thoughts?
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Shadow

I like the idea, and originally I had planned just to get rid of mercs. The market is active enough to support it, and it makes the game less predictable is troop sources are variable, which is nice.

We could also add anonymous selling pretty easily.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Sharptooh

Getting rid of mercs sounds like it would work pretty nicely :) can I make a suggestion that if this goes through the time taken to put stuff on the market is reduced a little though? Would make the market a little more fast paced/interesting in my opinion.

I'm not in favour of anonymous selling, but apparently it seems I'm the only one who isn't :/

Durza

how about a portion of your troops, when you sell, them are anonymously sold and the rest are visible
Question Mark (?)
Life is chaos, some of it is just more orderly.
Not liable for anything a Spa mod may change in my posts

Neji Hyuga

Make it anonymous please.
I find myself not being able to sell troops EVEN at minimum prices.

Firetooth

That's half the point, though. You have to be careful who you tread on if you want to sell anything. Anonymous selling is a bit of a cop-out. Plus, if you supply the most at the cheapest prices, some people will buy, like me. I bought a ton off Ryu last round, even though I killed him and he killed sharp.
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Rakefur

Quote from: Sharptooh on July 29, 2012, 08:44:43 AM
I'm not in favour of anonymous selling, but apparently it seems I'm the only one who isn't :/
I'm with you there, I was never very fond of that idea...
Quote from: Pippin on October 13, 2011, 04:40:07 PM
RAKEFUR IS 8% PIRATE 90% SMACK TALK AND 2% STOOPID
Quote from: Kilkenne on January 30, 2012, 08:23:56 PM
"I want in. Only I want to be a nazi."-Rakefur 2012

Death

This seems like a pretty bad idea to me. Even undercutting current prices there is just too much on the market for it to sell on a daily basis, and on a code with upkeep like this people need to be able to offload troops. Would leave aiding out as the only option and that is totally skewed in favor of clans.

Firetooth

Nearly everything marketed sells by the end of the round, so you'd get the money at some point. It allows basically unlimited troop offload. Or you could vary your runs, you don't need to make/buy large quantities of troops, I did a variety of runs last round. Fair enough I can see it would favour clan play, but 3.0 was meant to strengthen clan play whilst nerfing team indy, so I think it's a fair enough advantage.

Death

Quote from: Firetooth on August 06, 2012, 02:23:22 PM
by the end of the round
Yeah that's not good enough, we should be aiming for as close to "by the end of the day" as we can in a game where you get full turns every day.

Durza

put a time limit on the market a couple days before it sells
Question Mark (?)
Life is chaos, some of it is just more orderly.
Not liable for anything a Spa mod may change in my posts