Cool Science

Started by Shadow, August 17, 2012, 01:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/134672-harvard-cracks-dna-storage-crams-700-terabytes-of-data-into-a-single-gram

I work in a biophysics lab at the moment, and one of the projects I am working on indirectly involves novel methods for DNA sequencing. Needless to day, I am learning about DNA as I do this, and I have to say, it's pretty much the coolest thing there is. Here's just one little tidbit of unlikely stuff you can do with it.

also: slow motion photography of light

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoHeWgLvlXI&feature=related
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Gen. Volkov

Yes, I agree DNA is pretty much the coolest thing ever. A simple sugar-phosphate backbone, with only 4 different nitrogenous bases codes for everything that makes YOU. Making DNA do data storage is pretty cool as well.

Also, that TED talk was duck cool.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Death

QuoteLooking forward, they foresee a world where biological storage would allow us to record anything and everything without reservation. Today, we wouldn't dream of blanketing every square meter of Earth with cameras, and recording every moment for all eternity/human posterity — we simply don't have the storage capacity.
This made me laugh. It's like moments that are not noteworthy and the concept of living in the moment don't exist to the writer, lol.

This is neat though I guess. Another superfluous advancement that doesn't solve a single issue important to humanity, but oh well, they can't all be antiseptics. Reminds me of those physicists who came up with a formula to predict at what angle a ponytail would hang... like... good job but you recycling or not leaving the water on the entire time you brush your teeth would be a bigger benefit to mankind.

Edittt; http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/131574-living-organ-on-a-chip-could-soon-replace-animal-testing

Now THAT is some cool science.

Gen. Volkov

QuoteNow THAT is some cool science.

Also very cool, and yeah that writer is pretty stupid. LOL.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Death

...arthritis meds bots? for real? lmao

Shadow

QuoteThis is neat though I guess. Another superfluous advancement that doesn't solve a single issue important to humanity, but oh well, they can't all be antiseptics. Reminds me of those physicists who came up with a formula to predict at what angle a ponytail would hang... like... good job but you recycling or not leaving the water on the entire time you brush your teeth would be a bigger benefit to mankind.

Heh. Just because some aspect of a discovery isn't directly useful at the moment doesn't mean it won't be, or that it won't be a stepping stone toward one that is. Which is pretty much the point of basic science - poke things and see what happens, and maybe it will be useful someday. A truly amazing number of discoveries are just old ones re-purposed from their original frivolous ones.

Death

This is very true. And I mean, it's not like it's hurting anyone anyways.

if u make a camera dat can record around corners u can film gurls on tha toilet but nobody kno!!1

Shadow

Quote from: Death on August 18, 2012, 05:08:37 PM
if u make a camera dat can record around corners u can film gurls on tha toilet but nobody kno!!1

Hot:

Ashyra Nightwing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16972761 This is pretty cool science. Would you eat lab meat or would it be too freaky? Personally I'd be all over a lab-grown steak.

Shadow

I always hesitate before putting science in my mouth. Maybe 10 years after it hits the major markets and everyone has been my guinea pig for a while.

Death

Given how much it costs now and the slow progress made on it I think we might not have teeth by then. Always going to miss out on some cool poo, someone needs to freeze me.

Shadow

That's the downside to not believing in afterlife/extra lives. You don't get to see what cool stuff/gruesome death for itself that humanity cooks up.

Gen. Volkov

Unless that one dude is right, and we'll soon all be immortal.

Anyway, I'd eat lab grown meat.

Shadow

Shores of Tripoli

I really hate science, but that's duck awesome.