Cool Science

Started by Shadow, August 17, 2012, 01:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windhound

How does one hate science?
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Shadow

Quote from: Shores of Tripoli on August 27, 2012, 02:45:29 PM
I really hate science, but that's [wash my mouth out!!!] awesome.

Not understand. Please to be clarifying.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Shores of Tripoli

Quote from: Shadow on August 27, 2012, 03:07:30 PM
Quote from: Shores of Tripoli on August 27, 2012, 02:45:29 PM
I really hate science, but that's [wash my mouth out!!!] awesome.

Not understand. Please to be clarifying.

Sorry, I cussed and the auto replace made my statement incoherent. It is quite funny though, I like that.

I meant that I hate learning and participating in science, it obviously plays a vital role in the development of civilization.

Gen. Volkov

So what you meant to say is that you hate science class. Which makes sense, for many students, science and math are their least favorite subjects, because they are hard.

Also, Shadow, that is very cool.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Death

wat, how are they hard? You just like.. read the information and vomit it back out on demand, it's all just right or wrong.

Shores of Tripoli

Quote from: Gen. Volkov on August 27, 2012, 11:22:32 PM
So what you meant to say is that you hate science class. Which makes sense, for many students, science and math are their least favorite subjects, because they are hard.

Also, Shadow, that is very cool.
Yea, I suppose so, but I'm generally not interested in other means of scientific education. I suppose it was pretty dumb to simply say that I hate science. Kind of silly, but I really mean that I hate to pretend that I have an interest in it during situations that demand my scientific attention. So yea, I hate science class. That however, is pretty cool.

Ashyra Nightwing

Eh, not everyone finds it easy or fun to memorise endless streams of information. I guess it depends on the way it's taught. I'm referring to science here - maths is a totally alien world to me :P

Shores of Tripoli

Quote from: Ashyra Nightwing on August 28, 2012, 02:51:54 PM
Eh, not everyone finds it easy or fun to memorise endless streams of information. I guess it depends on the way it's taught. I'm referring to science here - maths is a totally alien world to me :P
I'm a pretty big history nerd. Just don't tell my girl friend, she only dates me because I'm cool.

Shadow

Science class isn't science by any stretch of the imagination. Science class is basically a scientific history class which involves learning techniques, but you aren't actually doing science. I didn't much care for science class either, but it's not the same thing.

Shores of Tripoli

Quote from: Shadow on August 28, 2012, 03:12:46 PM
Science class isn't science by any stretch of the imagination. Science class is basically a scientific history class which involves learning techniques, but you aren't actually doing science. I didn't much care for science class either, but it's not the same thing.
Yea, I spoke prematurely, that was rather rude.

Gen. Volkov

Quote[What The Ferret], how are they hard? You just like.. read the information and vomit it back out on demand, it's all just right or wrong.

Not everyone finds that easy Death. Also, not all of science class is rote memorization and recall.

Yea, I suppose so, but I'm generally not interested in other means of scientific education. I suppose it was pretty dumb to simply say that I hate science. Kind of silly, but I really mean that I hate to pretend that I have an interest in it during situations that demand my scientific attention. So yea, I hate science class. That however, is pretty cool.

OK, fair enough I guess.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Shadow

Death

Quote from: Gen. Volkov on August 29, 2012, 12:42:10 AM
Quote[What The Ferret], how are they hard? You just like.. read the information and vomit it back out on demand, it's all just right or wrong.

Not everyone finds that easy Death. Also, not all of science class is rote memorization and recall.
Really? All mine were remembering the answers to questions and remembering the steps to go through in order to like, do the activity things. Would make a lot of sense if the school I was in then just sucked though. It was so boring I would just do Mortal Kombat (random answers that could correlate to MK moves) on tests so as far as the state is concerned I'm on a 4th grade level in science LOL.

btw how are babies made?

Shadow

It is a sad reality that the teaching system we have now allows success by memorizing formulas instead of understanding the general principle behind it. This gives higher test scores, but results in people who are both basically illiterate in whatever subject you choose to argue about, and also people who dislike it because they think it is tedious. Once you get past the memorization to an understanding of the principles behind the method, it all seems much more worthwhile.

Death

Understanding the principle behind something (in sciences at least) to me is just memorizing the why of it, lol. EVERYTHING IS MEMORIZATION.