Couple of game loopholes closed

Started by Shadow, October 05, 2012, 05:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

Items on the public market being sold by dead or disabled players, or by players on vacation will no longer be listed for sale. If the player becomes active again, their goods will reappear on the market.

On turbo, you will no longer idle out after 7 days.

Suddenly the reg market looks like barren place.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Sevz

wow that's bad that you did this. I actually think I'll quit this stupid game and your an idiot.
Quote from: windhound on March 31, 2012, 05:10:16 PM
Coding out holes in the game is the best way to do things. 
Relying an the admins to patrol is a) time consuming for the admins in question b) unreliable c) only invites conflict
There is no conflict or "I didn't know any better!" excuses with a coded in rule.

Firetooth

Quote from: Sevz on October 06, 2012, 12:23:22 AM
wow that's bad that you did this. I actually think I'll quit this stupid game and your an idiot.
Nice C&C as usual.

Though I can't get my hopes up, I think you've quit more times then I can remember.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Shadow

I'm sorry. Were you in the middle of using the public market to store up cash on a vacationed player?

Sevz

Quote from: Shadow on October 06, 2012, 08:43:45 AM
I'm sorry. Were you in the middle of using the public market to store up cash on a vacationed player?
Were you in the middle of reading messages about you being a cheat?
Relying an the admins to patrol is a) time consuming for the admins in question b) unreliable c) only invites conflict
There is no conflict or "I didn't know any better!" excuses with a coded in rule.

Shadow

No lol.

We've been meaning to close that loophole for a while now, but it was never really a problem til now so it kept getting back-burnered.

Gen. Volkov

QuoteWere you in the middle of reading messages about you being a cheat?

Funny stuff. Sevah is the one abusing the vacation and market codes, but Shadow is the cheat. LOLOL.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

windhound

I want to say items listed by dead/disabled/vacationed players did disappear from the market at some point in the past.
Can't think of any good reason for them to stay.

Same with any form of vacation from turbo, the loopholes it opens seem to vastly outweigh any positives. 

Quote from: Sevz's sig

If you can give some solid reasons for not implementing those changes I'd be glad to hear them.
Kicking, screaming, and calling Shadow an idiot cheater isn't very productive if you'd like to see the changes reverted.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Sevz

myself and the player in question were discussing that Shadow has made some very convenient changes. The other guy is the most experienced coder of any code online. He is the best and I can't speak for him but he will 80% agree that Shadow is shady
I think the market should be left open so when people legitimately idle out they have a few positives to come back to. You got farmed to 4k land but your goods sold so at least you can finance a run with full turns. I talked Shoot out of deleting from Reg he deleted from turbo because the game isn't worth his time. Go against me all you want but that's the best admin i've ever known turning his back on the place
Convenient loopholes all over the place

Shadow

Explain to me how storing cash on people on vacation is not cheating.

The reason it was never fixed before now is because nobody ever tried it before. People try to find loopholes all the time, but usually they are a grey area and they can argue their way out, like vacationing for defense. There really is no context in which this is not objectively a bad thing.

They actually left this open over at FaF for a while. While that game was winding down, several players repeatedly abused it. They would mass up on the market, go into vacation mode, and then come back with a boatload of cash and lock the game down solo for weeks at a time. Most of the rest of the game got wise to it and did it; the result was 50% of the game was on vacation all the time and the few who were out were locking without competition.

Ask volk, he was around for some of it iirc.

Sorry to hear that Shoot doesn't like the game. Judging from this responses in the reg thread, though, he is assuming some stuff about our code without asking questions first, so there's not much we can do to change his mind if he won't actually tell us what he doesn't like.

Sevz

The dude's a legend of all time. He's the Michael Jordan of promisance. You idiots disrespect him like you know better he's just seen the way things are and not liked it maybe half the stuff everyone said in the past would of helped but keep making changes to directly benefit yourself and ruin the playerbase.
Yeah you might not have the turbo code in reg yet but it's a matter of time til you make changes so you can waste peoples time even playing.
I'll say nothing and run your plans better than you can

windhound

We've never really been one of the more typical promis Sevz, nor do we aspire to be.

I skimmed Shoot's 17 posts and never saw any real disrespect or animosity given or taken.  There's differing opinions on how to handle balancing.  RWL has tended to allow the more destructive tactics necessary to take people down if they manage to gain a heavy lead.  The option is there, its just the tactics aren't normally used except in takedowns.
I'd be happy to discuss how other promis have worked around this, some may work for us and some simply wont. 
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Shadow

Prom is a pretty simple game, Sevs. There really isn't much to it, once you get the hang of things, so Legend of Prom is a pretty silly distinction, IMO.

Shoot is more than welcome to share his ideas, but he should take the time to understand what he is talking about beforehand - the one post he made regarding balance was woefully misinformed. If he still disagrees now that he knows how things work, I'd be more than happy to hear his ideas. Again, though, the point is academic in 3.0 - the point of 3.0 was to address (among others) exactly the issues he discusses.

You still haven't answered my question. If the changes listed in this thread are "bad" then there must be a reason for keeping vacation market in that outweighs the potential for abuse. Please tell us what it is.

Kilkenne

The whole notion that RWL is part of some greater promisance bloc has always been pretty funny to me. Not very many of the new people find their way here via the promisance "scene", which hasn't really existed since ~2006 outside of a few places. It hit its zenith in like '04.

Raggon

Alright, who bought like a hundred stoats from me one by one? >:(
I void warranties
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?