Couple of game loopholes closed

Started by Shadow, October 05, 2012, 05:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sevz

Quote from: windhound on October 07, 2012, 02:58:52 PM
We've never really been one of the more typical promis Sevz, nor do we aspire to be.

I skimmed Shoot's 17 posts and never saw any real disrespect or animosity given or taken.  There's differing opinions on how to handle balancing. 
He's a respectful guy and his experience can deem him a legend. I put him up there with Paul Purgett and Quietust.
If you log onto the site Shootme admins you'd see things differently. NWOpromisance it's called. Almost derived from the original codes before redwalls time 10 years ago but very unique and well balanced.
Not that many of you know the history of promisance or his role.
Lots of things need fixing around here. Sack and capture is 2 of them. Focusing on a destructive server becomes monotonous and tiresome for the players. More players hang around if they have a goal to work for not soon as they get up top Shadow our local admin comes along suicides them 40 times then murders their stuff whether they attacked him or not.
After hundreds of times random teams get destroyed in cycles by someone who has next to nothing then when everyone quits he starts building up.
Well the last few days have been rough for him in beta. He got his land smashed by volkov then I stole 80% of the food he built up. 8 or 9 billion out of his 13 before sacking him down to 2k with the stunt doubles help.

Sorry for the textwall rant, many of my suggestions in the past or present are overlooked deliberately told to be reformatted before taken serious. I know what's happening around here. When I see Shadow being corrupt I work against it. I'm top spot both servers even after many subtle adjustments he's made to throw me off so this is spoken in truth towards the benefit of all warlords.
Remove Leader suicides from the game for a 3 month trial
If you think it's only to benefit myself I'll destroy myself and start again just do it
Quote from: windhound on March 31, 2012, 05:10:16 PM
Coding out holes in the game is the best way to do things. 
Relying an the admins to patrol is a) time consuming for the admins in question b) unreliable c) only invites conflict
There is no conflict or "I didn't know any better!" excuses with a coded in rule.

Shadow

Suicides used to be much easier than they are now. They killed more leaders, and an indier with 100 leaders could do it, and open attack op opened 3 hits every time, without the attacker losing any leaders. Every change I've ever made to suicides has been to make them harder to use, easier to defend.

You have a victim mentality, Sevs. It's old.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Gen. Volkov

QuoteIf you think it's only to benefit myself I'll destroy myself and start again just do it

That wouldn't prove anything you know. Any good player can be back in the top ten in a matter of days, and back in the top spot in a week or two at the outside.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Shadow

QuoteMore players hang around if they have a goal to work for not soon as they get up top Shadow our local admin comes along suicides them 40 times then murders their stuff whether they attacked him or not.
There could be some truth to this, but it is a very tricky balance to achieve in a small player base. In a very large base, as RWL was years ago, there was always another player willing to put in that extra effort, and the game was very competitive. Now, if we remove destructive options, people get discouraged because there is nothing they can do on their own to catch up.

The thing that has changed (about reg in particular) over the years is not the code, since we've barely touched that except to make suicides harder to use. It's that many of the players aren't motivated to join into the big teams as they used to. This is natural - we are all growing up. Most of the early players are now in grad school, or around that point in their lives. Priorities change, and as a text-based game in a world of immersive 3D graphics, attracting the next generation is difficult, to say the least.

If RWL's player base were large enough to support it, or if I thought that changing the focus in this way would attract enough new players to make it work, then I would agree with you. But as things have stood for the past few years, I don't think it will really work.

Sevz

Offenses: 1771 (78%)
Defenses: 1349 (1%
That's your ratings as a warlord Shadow. 22% of the times you've attacked you've failed and 99% of the time when someone attacks you they win. around 14 times out of 1349. 2from9
Volkovs is a bit better, he doesn't suicide
Offenses: 1569 (91%)
Defenses: 1192 (6%)
He's blocked about 80 attacks 20 of those were me being dirty the other day
Then my attacks are terrible for my standards
Offenses: 4601 (94%)
Defenses: 3036 (25%) Blocked around 757 of the attacks thrown at me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I suicided Volkov I disgraced my warlord. The only person who has the right to judge are those who agree it's dishonourable and aim for 100% attacks like a true warlord.

I think you being in charge of things is ridiculous. Take your role with a part time professional approach. Give the game a bit of soul
Quote from: windhound on March 31, 2012, 05:10:16 PM
Coding out holes in the game is the best way to do things. 
Relying an the admins to patrol is a) time consuming for the admins in question b) unreliable c) only invites conflict
There is no conflict or "I didn't know any better!" excuses with a coded in rule.

Shadow

It's ok, don't bother addressing any of the completely reasonable points I made in favor of bringing up something unrelated and irrelevant.