Debut work.

Started by The Beatles, January 18, 2003, 04:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Beatles

I am probably soon going to post a debut work on the RFF. It's a short story. It's supposed to be about how a young vixen, on the transition between childhood and teenager-hood, deals with the death of her mother, her single parent. I dunno exactly why, but I feel like writing it. I've got it all poltted out in my head, but it takes time to consolidate and polish that on paper (or etext). Now then, I noticed how many stereotypes there are about how people react to death, and while it is diverse, it is not what people imagine it to be, however good an imagination or empathy they have. You just can't feel the feeling, until it's happened to you, and even then it's hard ot pour it into words. Now, I (sadly) have personal experience there, although I still have one parent (thank God). But I'd like to write it, and it's always good to pour out feelings into paper out of my mind, because it helps. It's gonna besad and gloomy yes. And when I post it (might be some weeks), I'd be glad if you guys could just give it a once-over, and criticize it some.
The other thing is the title. I was thinking about, maybe, Death, or The End of the Beginning (out of childhood), but I'm not sure yet. If you think of something, please post it.

& anyways, until I actually post it, this is pointless, so I'll stop.

~Beatles

calria

*post wars for the halibut*

Menatus

Sounds deep and interesting. What are you gonna name her, her parents, etc?

Maybe you should post us a summary or something. I'm no good at writing fanfics, but I like giving commentary. Not criticize per say, contructively criticize. So then...post a summary.

Death is kind of...umm...unoriginal. I like the End of the Beginning, because it's true.

Anyhoo.

Holby

The End of the Beginning? I don't like that... sounds like it's been used before. No suggestions from me, though, so I can't criticise.
I can do something- make up names... really weird ones.
Eg. Lestab, Batsel, Estlab...

OK, so they're simple, and odd, and anyone can make them up. But, it's you're forum name B)  
I will not deleted this

The Beatles

I'm not going to name her. It's merely a short story, and the names don't matter. I feel like that.

Holby

Why don't you write it first, and then come up with a title?
I will not deleted this

The Beatles

Sage advice. But I'lll still prob'ly need you guys help.

Holby

Are you going to post it here or there first? Really, I don't know much about what makes a good story, so I'm not the person to ask. I'm sure other poeple here would be, though.
I will not deleted this

The Beatles

I thought of an OK title, or setoff quote: "Dimitte nobis, debita nostra". It means: "Your death is our [my] loss." What d'you guys think?
Stormy? You're supposed to be a good writer (I believe you are), so I'm looking for tips from you too.

~Beatles

Holby

I reckon people look at it and go "Huh? What?" And then click on the link to read the story :)
Very cool title B)
I will not deleted this

The Beatles

Yeah, now doesn't it just sound cool?
Stormy?

Holby

Stormy's been on- just never says anything :(
There was a couple of pages worth over arguing about something to do with the RFF on the old forum. Might have been Shy and Shael? Could be they'd help...

I will not deleted this

Shytalon

*flies in in heroic matter*

Hmm... a good title like that would definitely catch a few eyes. Maybe even my lazy ones...

As for comments, well, they are sparse these days... I could whisper the right things in a few ears and comment myself, that might help, but getting RFF comments is becoming harder and harder...

I will say that if a select few people do read and comment on the story, it is a very good thing... I'd suggest reading though the directory to see if any of the titles you were thinking of have been taken...

Now, I will go back to my flu-bug induced haze and listen to little Japanese children sing Yoko Kanno songs... Yess...

~Shy, Myuh!
"Like a song,
Out of tune and out of time,
All I needed was a rhyme for you.
C'est la vie."
~C'est la vie, Emerson, Lake, and Palmer

~Assisstant to RFF, Rubinsky's Renegades (#15)