shiny shiny

Started by Uiblis, May 12, 2013, 08:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uiblis

dextrose + AgNO3 + NH4OH + KOH + glass container= swag

hopefully the guys in charge won't be too mad about how I spent my time in the lab. XD

also they hopefully won't notice that they're one 100 ml volumetric flask short...

Also, whoever comes up with a genius way to mass produce approximately 30 of these in two days gets cookies.
I love bad [berries] that's my [fruity] problem

Wolf Snare

1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. The Grand Optimist (#12)
1. Beast Mode (#7)

Genevieve

In high school, our lab assistant got very angry one day when our class learnt how to do this and then did it to pretty much every glass container we could find.

Uiblis

lolz.

Apparently, these are considered "valuable" by people who've never seen them before. I'm not talking money, but national sci o competition is coming up and we trade these every year with the 49 other teams. we get some good stuff back ;)

Unfortunately my teammates are too lazy to make em, and I've been out of school for the past week cos of ap testing. We leave for Ohio this week Thursday. So I have approx. 2 hours Wednesday to mass produce a ton of these for trading. smh

Krowdon

What happened to it?

Why is it silver.
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Gen. Volkov

He turned it into a mirror. Those chemicals in combination are what they use to back mirrors. It's a reduction reaction, in which the dextrose acts as an electron source, causing the silver nitrate to be reduced to a pure metal, and the pure silver is then deposited on the inside of the beaker.

As for mass production, no idea dude, you need to get your hands on a bunch of chemicals, because I doubt you have to resources for electroplating.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

windhound

A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Uiblis

EDIT: Nvm, I'm stupid. Don't have enough stuff for that. Nice idea with the electroplating though, though I'm not sure how that could coat only the inside rather than the outside of the bottle

Gen. Volkov

Cover the outside of the bottle in plastic, or something else you could peel off. The metal would electroplate to both the inside and the outside, but you could peel off the outside, leaving just the inside electroplated. Also you could just use brush electroplating.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES