Handy Stuff in my Sidebar by default?

Started by Sharptooh, June 03, 2013, 05:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharptooh

Can I suggest making the "Handy Stuff in my Sidebar" appear by default? The manage army page is hidden a little in the top right where I'm sure not everybody is going to look for it.

This is also a good move due to the importance of tax/troop settings/economic settings in 3.0, like I've said earlier I'm not sure everyone finds the manage army page, and even if they do, the "Hand Stuff" option isn't very noticeable (going to the manage army page everytime you want to change any of these settings is very time consuming). Besides which, without this the right hand is just wasted space, all it displays is currently active users (which I don't actually find myself looking at very often)

taekwondokid42

Or maybe your settings should be remembered from round to round? I like this idea better.

The reason we wouldn't want it enabled from the start is for new players. Game is confusing enough from the get-go, leave the advanced stuff for people who are comfortable enough to be searching for it.

windhound

Ahheh.
That is handy, never noticed that

I'm assuming the reason its not is because it clutters up the page slightly and adds an extra layer of confusion.

But yeah, Shael was going to add in a storage thing for player data (settings, round results, maybe achievements, etc) but then she disappeared again.  I might go ahead and do that bit as there's a couple other things I'd like to be tracking -- mainly valid multis like Sharptooth and Firetooth.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Sharptooh

Quote from: taekwondokid42 on June 03, 2013, 06:12:05 PM
The reason we wouldn't want it enabled from the start is for new players.

I don't think it's that confusing tbh, the main reason I thought it was a good idea is that I doubt many new players actually discover the manage army page, and even fewer probably discover the "handy sidebar" option (as I said in my inital post).

I guess to prove that you'd need statistics on how many users actually view the "manage army page" / have the handy sidebar enabled (the former I think will be difficult to ascertain).

The best way might be to have some sort of intro explaining the basics of the game which asks you about certain settings (hand sidebar etc.) when you first sign up, that would be a lot of work though.

Quote from: windhound on June 03, 2013, 06:53:41 PM
Ahheh.
That is handy, never noticed that

I'm assuming the reason its not is because it clutters up the page slightly and adds an extra layer of confusion.

Can't believe you never noticed it; my runs would take about twice as long in turbo without it!

And I'm sure PA had his reasons for having it not display by default, but we don't know what they could have been with him afk. Could it be possible he hid it as the design still isn't quite done (did he want to improve/add to it before making it default?)