Make some way to take land from someone who is undefended

Started by taekwondokid42, June 12, 2013, 03:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taekwondokid42

it's kind of a vague and mean-sounding title, but what I mean is:

If person A has 0 leaders, 0 troops, and 10x the land that I do, there should be some way for me to take land from them, even if they are currently maxed.

Make attack opportunity was one way to do this in the past. I don't have a good alternative to MAO, but something should be available. Maybe a troop based attack that doubles or triples your losses. (note: if they are undefended, tripled losses is not a big deal; that's the point)

Pippin

I think this actually helps bridge the gap between a player going solo when other clans are competing.
1. Mike Oxlong (#14)
$16,999,999,999 with 275,000 Acres
3. AL CAPONE (#23)
$887,873,381 with 14,939 Acres
3. wrecking balls (#9)
$801,398,171 with 32,301 Acres
1. Nazgul (#5)
$1,503,190,327 with 201,952 Acres

Ruddertail

Seems like it's just a good way to make anyone killable. No thanks.
Kyle says:
"what happens if the land farm drops land"

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II (@ Kilk) on June 12, 2011, 06:16:11 PM
Sober up you fool!

23   ?   Land Farm (Free Land) (#39)   20,779   $23,671,428   Worship   Rat   Southsward

Firetooth

I wouldn't mind this, though the health losses would have to be steep to deter kills (as Rudder mentoned). Maybe 10% health loss per attack? I think there are plans to increase the rate of unmaxing, but atm it's too easy to retain land unclanned.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Ruddertail

Extra health losses is a start, but I'd still prefer a hard-cap somewhere - otherwise, enough people can always kill an unclanned person. One of the benefits of being unclanned is not getting killed, and it makes sense to keep it that way.

Kyle says:

Sober up you fool!

23   ?   Land Farm (Free Land) (#39)   20,779   $23,671,428   Worship   Rat   Southsward

Shadow

I don't know why people think freely flowing land and being able to scrape all the land in the game in one run is a good thing. we've tried similar things as themes and in the early days of 3.0, it was terrible. one of the points of 3.0 was to make a more realistic game, and losing all your land every day is anything but.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Ruddertail

^ This entire game is anything but. You do realize this, right? :P
Kyle says:

Sober up you fool!

windhound

I'm not sold on the idea, but its somewhat easy to make sure it doesn't result in kills.
Just make opponents attackable until their land > some percentage your land

So say at the start of an attack run they're maxxed but at 50,000 acres while you have 10,000
You can attack them until they have 'only' twice your land or whatever.  So when you get to 20,000 and they're at 40,000 it stops, no more attacks possible.  However, anyone else at 10k acers can attack...  and I suppose you could drop land to be able to continue to attack.  Diminishing returns kick in rather quickly though.

I suppose someone very determined can continue to drop land and drop land and drop land so they can continue to attack.
So a hard limit at 500 acres where "Standards under 500" starts would fix that...  and you've have to drop land to 250 acrers to take someone to 500 acres anyways.

The biggest thing it changes is that emps are suddenly vulnerable to _everyone_, clanned and unclanned alike.
Massive suicide potential.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Shadow

Quote from: Ruddertail on June 13, 2013, 04:05:44 PM
^ This entire game is anything but. You do realize this, right? :P
well, yes. I meant the combat mechanics rather than the details.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

taekwondokid42

hmm. I've always liked the mechanic where you go from 0 land to all the land every single run.

I guess I might just be missing the glory days of indying. I remember at least 1 round where pretty much everybody was clanned, and if you were over 10k land it didn't last very long. The snowball just kept rolling because you usually only had 1 person over 10k land, and that was the person with 150k land or whatever amount. This may have been a no-huts round.

But I also stand by the idea that there should be a way for you to kill solo players. Also in 3.0 suiciding isn't an issue because you can't kill leaders except through successful capture attacks.

Killing should be hard, and under most circumstances it should be more expensive to the killer than to the killed. This seems to mostly be the case. Killing takes a lot of turns, especially when you have to standard attack the last 500 acres. Rwl is a competitive game and nobody should be granted a free ride. Right now as a solo player you can guarantee yourself safety from death and destruction by always dropping to a 175 ratio. Nobody will ever be able to get more than 1 or two attacks off on you, and you'll never drop below a few thousand land. It's a free ride and I don't think it should be that way.

I like the idea of land that flows in mass from place-to-place because it makes the game more dynamic. If you make land a more static creature, the players who are better/more-persistent at acquiring land will always have noticeably more land than everybody else. It makes each run more of a long term investment, because each acre you get is that much harder to lose.