So I had a thought

Started by windhound, June 13, 2013, 11:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windhound

I listened to the Harry Potter series audiobooks, read by Jim Dale (highly recommend)

Realized something towards the end, not really ground breaking or applicable to anything, but Dumbledore must have repaired Hagrid's wand with the elder wand after it was broken by the expelling authorities.
After Ron's wand broken -- accidentally, mind, so probably not as badly damaged as Hagrid's was when it was purposefully broken -- it couldn't perform the least bit of magic without  major crapouts.  Hagrid, on the other hand, despite not getting past, what, year 3 still didn't have any real issues using his pink umbrella. 

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Rubeus_Hagrid%27s_umbrella
That wiki only lists two incidents where Hagrid didn't perform the magic he meant to, the first could easily be explained by the fact that transfiguration is tremendously hard and Hagrid never finished his 3rd year.  The second explained by the fact that he was under severe pressure.
Everything other bit of magic he did without issue

Likely not an original theory, but hey.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Camaclue

GO BACK TO GD, LINEAR PLEBIAN. THIS IS THE LAND OF THE WHATEVER

I'm reading Phantom of the Opera.
Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II on November 12, 2012, 09:10:32 PM
ey M8 ur cheeky i swear ill wreck ur [poop]

windhound

A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Genevieve

Why not Stephen Fry's narration? <3 Stephen Fry

Camaclue

DERPY Potter is nice when you're having a bad day
warning: NOT FOR HERPS.

Krowdon

Quote from: Camaclue on June 13, 2013, 11:17:32 PM
GO BACK TO GD, LINEAR PLEBIAN. THIS IS THE LAND OF THE WHATEVER

I'm reading Phantom of the Opera.

How you liking it, Camaclue? I read that a while ago.
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Camaclue

I read the cover and backside. Seems DERPlicious so far

Holby

Quote from: windhound on June 13, 2013, 11:14:02 PM
I listened to the DERPY Potter series audiobooks, read by Jim DERP (highly recommend)

Realized something towards the end, not really ground breaking or applicable to anything, but DERPledore must have repaired Hagrid's wand with the DERPING wand after it was broken by the DERPing authorities.
After Ron's wand DERPED -- accidentally, mind, so probably not as badly damaged as Hagrid's was when it was purposefully DERPED -- it couldn't perform the least bit of magic without  major DERPouts.  Hagrid, on the other hand, despite not getting past, what, year 3 still didn't have any real issues using his pink DERPrella. 

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Rubeus_Hagrid%27s_umbrella
That wiki only lists two incidents where Hagrid didn't perform the magic he meant to, the first could easily be explained by the fact that transfiguration is tremendously hard and Hagrid never finished his 3rd year.  The second explained by the fact that he was under severe pressure.
Everything other bit of magic he did without issue

Likely not an original theory, but hey.
Some nitwit has edited all the posts to make them incredibly frustrating to read....

But anyway...

I wanted to comment on the Potter audiobooks, because it was after seeing this thread that I asked Lucy to download them for me.

I got the Fry ones, of course, because Stephen Fry has an excellent voice. I am very jealous of it.

I read the first six books earlier this year, but skipped the third one. So I've just finished listening to Prisoner of Azkaban, and it's awesome. Commuting and exercising is now much less terrible.

I think I am going to listen to the seventh book now.

I listened to Jim Dale briefly on YouTube, and was relieved to find he sounds fairly OK, and he seems to do quite involved voices, which is impressive. But I like Fry's style of making them different, but not too different.

I like the umbrella observation.
I will not deleted this