Just fyi

Started by Shadow, July 12, 2013, 09:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

By the way guys, the "notes" field on your main page is NOT your warlord notice - only you can see what you write in the notes field. Your public warlord notice is set manage army.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Ruddertail

With attacks, messages, and aid all done from the drop down on the scores page, the chance of anyone actually /looking/ at your public warlord notice is virtually nil. Is there any way it could be made more public?
Kyle says:
"what happens if the land farm drops land"

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II (@ Kilk) on June 12, 2011, 06:16:11 PM
Sober up you fool!

23   ?   Land Farm (Free Land) (#39)   20,779   $23,671,428   Worship   Rat   Southsward

Shadow

Yea, if I can figure out where the code for the drop down is, it should be easy to add it there.

taekwondokid42

I remember there used to be a 'custom fields' place to add things? You'd sprinkle in some math and then you'd get some nice datapoints about your empire that didn't appear in manage army?

Can we have those back?

Shadow

Not sure when they disappeared. I'll look into it.

taekwondokid42

Windy's admin account on the turbo dump he gave me back in May had them. Perhaps that helps.

I'm pretty sure they're still in the codebase, some form just got removed from the html or something.

Shadow

I found them and I could add them in, but they are a feature that only a handful of players would use, and they don't play nice with the espionage saving system. I would prefer instead to add the fields you guys think would be useful directly to the espy reports/main page so that everyone benefits from them.

Could you tell me what information you would like displayed that is not there currently, and I'll see about adding it in.

Some ideas:
- a list of missions which would succeed against the espy target
- espy target towers
- a list of troop attacks that would succeed (or just color code green or something)
- number of huts to demolish to get perfect ratio without losing leaders on main page (or build page)

Any others you would like?

taekwondokid42

I'm trying to remember. Back in the old days I had at least 6 that I looked at regularly. I'm going to repeat some of the ones you mentioned, just while I brainstorm. I'm sure we could slam these down to a 'most useful' category

1. how many huts to demo to hit 175
2. for each offensive spell, what ratio do you need? (take their health into account)
3. What types of offensive attacks will succeed? (and a second number at 'offense' buff) (same about health)
4. Num troops incoming
5. Estimated death volumes when engaging in a standard attack
6. Estimated land gain when engaging in each type of attack

Honestly though, the custom fields thing is so versatile. I'm sure most high level players would use it once we started posting decent metrics. Examples of truly customized stuff:

1. adjusted income, assuming all troops get sold for a certain price
2. adjusted income, assuming only rats gets sold for a certain price
3. adjusted income, assuming surplus food gets sold for a certain price
4. Number of turns until hitting a certain ratio
5. number of turns until hitting a certain worker volume

These are all useful, but only if you plan on working your strategy around these metrics. As I'm running, I'll keep brainstorming fields that would be good to have around. Mostly I would use them internally, and not after casting an espy, but I see how they would also be incredibly useful when performing espys too.

Shadow

notices are now visible on your scores page dropdowns, mainly thanks to windy (though the bug is my doing ^_^). Note that because of overflow, for best results you should limit them to about 180 characters, but you can go over if you need it at the cost of a scrollbar.

EDIT: still ironing out a minor bug with the positioning of the box, since it gets in the way of messages. Not sure why it is there since it works on the test server and I can't see where the code difference is. It's still functional, just moderately annoying. Standby.

windhound

Reasonably sure that's a cache problem.
Adding the notice to the popup box made it longer, so I changed the top position from 50% to 30% (and changed Left from 50% to 45%, though that's less critical)

If your notices box seems a bit low try refreshing the page
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Shadow

confirmed, just had to clear the cache.

downsides of knowing literally nothing about how webpages are actually displayed.

EDIT:

I had a look at custom fields, and the way they are handled represents a fairly significant security vulnerability, so I think they are going to stay away for the moment.