Watch this please

Started by Krowdon, September 05, 2013, 06:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

Quote from: Firetooth on September 09, 2013, 03:13:57 PM
Quote from: Peace Alliance on September 09, 2013, 01:24:11 PM
You can't escape society, my dear positivist.
Are you an interpretivist?
No, no, firetooth, you are doing it wrong. The new age hipster thing is to assume you know what sort of philosophies others adhere to based on things they say on the internet.

You're supposed to just call him an interpretivist. It doesn't matter if you're right, the important thing is that you labelled him.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Gen. Volkov

Nerd.

Oh and apparently this is a song about foxes for and by furries or something... God help us all.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Peace Alliance

Quote from: Shadow on September 09, 2013, 03:48:48 PM
No, no, firetooth, you are doing it wrong. The new age hipster thing is to assume you know what sort of philosophies others adhere to based on things they say on the internet.

You're supposed to just call him an interpretivist. It doesn't matter if you're right, the important thing is that you labelled him.
He's right, you know. It can be proved objectively.

Ian2424

Uhh, it's needs to be about 20% cooler.
Quote from: Krowdon on April 28, 2012, 07:53:37 AM
*beats Night Wolf with a penguin*

Shadow

Quote from: Peace Alliance on September 09, 2013, 07:01:47 PM
Quote from: Shadow on September 09, 2013, 03:48:48 PM

He's right, you know. It can be proved objectively.
You've set up this enormous straw man labelled science in your head and you keep proudly bashing it, but nothing about it is related to what people here actually claim. If you had bothered to defend yourself in the science thread you might have learned what those actual claims are and how they relate (and more importantly how they don't) to your social theories.

Given that all your recent forays into UMD have degenerated into telling people they are hopeless when they challenge you, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Peace Alliance

My UMD forays degenerate into ME feeling hopeless, I admit I probably project that upon you.

Hopeless, because I want to engage you, and never have time time to climb the mountain of words you pile on top of me. I have other mountains to climb, and those one's have grades, transcripts, and hopefully acceptence into my own masters program at the top.

I'll get to it one day, but until then please don't assume that my failure to adequately respond to you is due to a lack of solid critical analysis done by those in mine and other fields in the humanities. There are far smarter people then I doing a far greater job of critiquing every aspect of the broad field you claim I made into a straw man. I have, on occasions, tried to direct you towards those smart people, but I'm not sure if you ever got there. I'm reading Taming of Truth by Ian Hacking (a brilliant Canadian sociologist), and even my stats prof (a mathematician, a positivist, and empiricist, etc) finds Hacking's critiques invaluable. There's a copy in your library (mind too, but I have it out and I'm not returning it any time soon)

Peace Alliance

aaaaaand you took me too seriously. Outside of UMD I assure you, I simply get a kick out of making a caricature out of you, and then dissing it.

Ungatt Trunn II

One day the shrine you've built to liberalism will fall. And on that day I will stand on the rubble and laugh at the pathetic masses which bought into the great lie of our time, you among them. It. Will. Be. GLORIOUS! 
DIE HIPPIE DIE

Shadow

I can never take people seriously when they insist on putting such labels on their opponents. You'll never get beyond the straw man stage of an argument applying labels to to people like that. While there are aspects of the philosophies I find appealing, I certainly don't agree with all aspects of all the various names you have called me in this and other threads. In doing so, you are limiting your own thinking to arguing against someone who fits your textbook ideas of what a scientist should look like.

Since it's clear you have no idea what it is I in particular and scientists in general actually do for a living, please ask first and label after understand what it is that we are claiming so that you can critique that instead of whatever strange vision of scientist your mind has created.

Ungatt Trunn II

DIE HIPPIE DIE

Shadow

Ungatt Trunn II

Then you're pretty much a completely stereotypical scientist. Get over it.

Also, perhaps become part of some black ops R&D that's where all the money is.
DIE HIPPIE DIE

Shadow

I have no problem with being a stereotypical scientist. I have a problem with Peace's idea of what that actually is.

Ungatt Trunn II

What for? Peace just regurgitates whatever his professor told him. It's like arguing with a parrot.
DIE HIPPIE DIE

Shadow

Eh, I like to think people are generally educable. At the very least I'd like him to stop being intentionally dumb about me if he isn't going to defend himself when challenged.