Can't drive stick

Started by windhound, October 29, 2013, 10:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windhound

Urg.  So my '70 Beetle is almost drivable
Sorta dreading dealing with other drivers while I learn how to drive stick with it.

CafePress has car magnets on sale for $2.50 or so, made this

Probably won't help much, but 's fair warning to other drivers.  She's slow and for the love of all things good plz don't stop inches from my bumper on a hill
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Shadow

If you're anything like me, there will come a moment where you will suddenly get it and you will be perfectly competent all of a sudden. I had the hardest time learning, and then it just clicked and became really easy. Though it was pretty frustrating up until that point.

Now I actually prefer standard over automatic.

Also, pics? It's pretty cool that you have such a thing. Did you refurbish it yourself?
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

windhound

Thought I posted it here before, maybe not

I got it for free.
Someone long ago did an electric conversion and a friend of the family bought it; it started having issues (shocking) and he didn't want to deal with it anymore so he asked if I wanted it.
The final straw was when someone he had poking it did something very, very dumb with the batteries and basically destroyed them. 

The system was rather simple (too simple), two sets of 4 12v deep-cycle lead-acid batteries each hooked to their own relay.  The relays were activated when you pushed on the gas pedal and dumped the entire force of the battery pack to the electric motor.
Normally this would be bad, but the car was so heavy at this point it didn't really matter. 
What nuked the batteries was somehow the two sets of batteries got mixed up, one got 5 batteries the other got 3.  When the relays were activated the packs were put in parallel to drive the motor.  It is really, really, exceptionally bad to do that when the pack voltages don't match.

I took a hard look at fixing the electrical setup, but in the end it was going to run me probably $4 - 6k.  Not much of the system was salvageable in a meaningful way and batteries are _expensive_.  With that $4 - 6k I'd get maaaybe 15 miles out of a charge.  Just not workable, my current commute is 10 miles and I may be expanding that.

So I went and found a '71 Beetle engine on craigslist.
Then I had to go through and revert some of the changes and put back things like the gas tank.  Been poking it on and off for a year now.
To give you an idea of the sort of ducttape fixes, the brake master cylinder failed so someone just tied the brake pedal back and disabled the ratchet on the hand brake so they could use that instead.  Just...  urg.
Probably the worst bit was the caulk.  The rear floorpans are pretty toast, I can stick my hand through to the ground.  There was no attempt to slow down the rust, even a layer of primer would have helped, but no; just layer on layer of caulk and metal plating.  Occasionally they attempted to screw something down, but mostly caulk.  Caulk everywhere.
New master cylinder installed, brakes work lovely now.  Floor pans are on the short list after I get it running good, the driver and passenger seat are both solid so atm I'm not worried.  Just makes for a lot of road noise.

Anyways.  Its close, ordered a few more parts last night -- forgot the cable clamps necessary to have heat in the car.

Some pics:

As I brought it home

The motor

There was a small Generac under the hood for a sort of limp-mode.

The batteries

Clean!

Shiney.

Bumper before

Bumper after.
Tinfoil is a bizarre cleaning method for chome, but can't argue with the results. 

The engine as I got it

The engine bay now, just about ready to go
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

windhound

But yeah, I can drive a motorcycle and a tractor, but the car just feels so different clutch-wise.
If I could put motorcycle style hand-controls in the bug I'd be good to go.

Ah well.
I'll figure it out
Hill stops have me the most nervous...

Holby

darn windy, you are too cool.

When you're not making fish tank Macs and driving tractors, you're oh-so-casually building a Beetle.

I would just spend an hour starting and stopping in a carkpark. Better if you can find one on a slope! Was the biggest help when I was learning.
I will not deleted this

Krowdon

What the heck is a carpark.

Is that where you take your cars and let them loose to play with each other to make friends?
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Holby

A place to park your car!  It's very literal.

I will not deleted this

Shadow

<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Durza

Question Mark (?)
Life is chaos, some of it is just more orderly.
Not liable for anything a Spa mod may change in my posts

Krowdon

PFFT WOW. I dont know why I didnt think of that, haha.
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Pippin

1. Mike Oxlong (#14)
$16,999,999,999 with 275,000 Acres
3. AL CAPONE (#23)
$887,873,381 with 14,939 Acres
3. wrecking balls (#9)
$801,398,171 with 32,301 Acres
1. Nazgul (#5)
$1,503,190,327 with 201,952 Acres

windhound

Oh dear god it finally left the driveway
Peppier than I thought it'd be, only mildly terrifying.