Cool Science

Started by Shadow, August 17, 2012, 01:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windhound

I think most of the controversy was over embryonic stem cell research
There's likely a bit of residual knee-jerk against stem cell research because of it, but using other cells or your urine shouldn't be an issue. 
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Shadow

There have been ways of getting stem cells for years now that don't involve embryos (google induced pluripotent stem cells), but some people hear "stem cell" and freak out. There will always be irrational opposition to important research because some people are just that.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

windhound

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2569

Neat stuff.  Explains the process of making a Raspberry Pi ($35 ARM computer)
More engineering than science, but hey

Correct me if I'm wrong Shadow, but didn't the bulk of stem cell research focus on embryonic stem cells initially?
If anything, the screaming from the "life begins at conception" crowd was just consistent and not really irrational (based on the aforementioned belief).  Now its been past the need for embryonic cells for a little while now, but it started with such bad press its not really surprising people still view it as wrong.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Shadow

I'm not sure what the field was like in the beginning - though you are probably right that it started with embryonic cells. However, that has not been the case for a long time, and it's still an issue in government because politicians.

Ruddertail

Quoteand it's still an issue in government because politicians.
Quotebecause politicians

This is now the ultimate reason for everything bad. Thanks, Shadow.
Kyle says:
"what happens if the land farm drops land"

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn II (@ Kilk) on June 12, 2011, 06:16:11 PM
Sober up you fool!

23   ?   Land Farm (Free Land) (#39)   20,779   $23,671,428   Worship   Rat   Southsward

windhound

http://science.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=3300121&cid=42212869
The Pioneer program itself is remarkable, with useful data still coming back 40 years later.

Shadow

Amazing that such a precise reading can be taken on the time and length scales being worked with.

Shadow

Revival!

Turns out it's now possible to turn skin cells into via eggs and sperm and create live animals from them:
http://www.nature.com/news/stem-cells-egg-engineers-1.13582

Gen. Volkov

I'd be hesitant about accepting that one at face value. That's a pretty impressive achievement, and the last guy who claimed he had done something like that turned out to be lying. So probably a good idea to wait and see if anyone can replicate it.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Shadow

Gen. Volkov

That is some very cool stuff indeed.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

windhound

Wordsarecool

Somebody needs to hurry up and find a way to create a device that directs the energy of a nuclear explosion in a single direction. A nuclear shaped charge, if you will.

That would be incredible.

Shadow

Gen. Volkov