Bugs and official retirement

Started by Sevz, December 25, 2013, 06:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sevz

Same old bugs so I can't set war on enemies or alliances on allies. I've decided to just give up like the rest of the playerbase did.

@Shael, you're an idiot for leaving this game in the hands of lazy or incompetent admins. Can I simply buy the site from you and fix it?
@Windy, you've spent a long time on the job and clearly lost all ambitions to do anything. If I buy the site you're fired as an admin but more than welcome to play and be treated like you're just a player.
@Shadow, well done, against all logic the retarded administrators promoted you to do codework. You successfully ruined the turbo server and stopped being active. Went from being a toxic player to a toxic admin to leaving a pile of mess behind. If I buy rights to redwall you're fired and banned.

You 3 idiots don't care anyway so there's not much else to say. May aswell take redwall offline next time one of you feels like being active.
Quote from: windhound on March 31, 2012, 05:10:16 PM
Coding out holes in the game is the best way to do things. 
Relying an the admins to patrol is a) time consuming for the admins in question b) unreliable c) only invites conflict
There is no conflict or "I didn't know any better!" excuses with a coded in rule.

Sharktooth

windhound

A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

windhound

On a minor note, Ollie owns the hosting not Shael.  If you were to plead to buy the site from anyone I guess it'd be Ollie as the domain is in his name.

We're just coasting atm, as long as players want to play we'll leave the servers up (although its really none of your business, we literally just had this discussion)
As always, if you'd like a code dump I'll provide one.  You can then submit patched files, I'll review them and commit if worthwhile (taek did a few updates this way).  But I don't think you can code so this is sort of a moot point.
Cheers
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Shadow

I wasn't planning to feed the troll, but since it has been... I am now taking bets on how long until Sevs comes out of "retirement". If you guess right I'll mail you a cookie.

Really. I will literally courier you a cookie.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Krowdon

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

I give him two months at the most.
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Sharktooth

Quote from: windhound on December 25, 2013, 08:13:16 PM

as long as players want to play we'll leave the servers up

i still wanna play!

Kilkenne

ADDITIONALLY EVERYONE LISTED IN POST NUMBER ONE IS FAT. FAT FAT FAT.

FATS

Shadow

Everyone pm me a 3-day window. If sevs next post falls in that window, I will send you a cookie.

windhound

Gen. Volkov

I literally don't care enough about this subject to even PM you Shadow.

Bye Sevah, you will (not) be missed.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Sevz

Quote from: Gen. Volkov on December 27, 2013, 10:55:52 AM
I literally don't care enough about this subject to even PM you Shadow.

Bye Sevah, you will (not) be missed.
I expected as much from a poor sportsman like you who isn't even currently playing. I've beaten you constantly over the years, with my absence you can make a come back. Good luck Volkov, no hard feelings.

@Windy, thanks for the info, I'll see how I go contacting Ollie over the next few days.
If I become Redwalls new owner, my current retirement is still in effect. It doesn't change that but in my life when I don't like things I fix them instead of taking the easy route.
I'd prefer to buy redwall, appoint a professional coder and then advertise the site. Better choice than to leave knowing the code is shot to pieces and there's no one to undo what's been done.
Quote from: windhound on March 31, 2012, 05:10:16 PM
Coding out holes in the game is the best way to do things. 
Relying an the admins to patrol is a) time consuming for the admins in question b) unreliable c) only invites conflict
There is no conflict or "I didn't know any better!" excuses with a coded in rule.

Shadow

he's back already. Sorry guys, I will have to eat the cookie myself.

windhound

Last time I feed the troll, promise.

Sevz dear, first and foremost, no one is selling RWL.  Ollie sure as hell isn't.
Second, you have never seen the code that runs this place.  No sane person would want anything to do with it unless you were paying very well.  The only reason people here at RWL have taken the mantel through the years is because they like the site and wanted to see it continue.  There aren't any coders left here to pass the torch to, and if you bring in someone they'll need to be talented enough, knowledgeable enough, and have the willpower and the time to properly understand what's here; what makes this site special.  If not you might as well buy a new domain name and some webspace and start from scratch. 
In fact, since you have all these wonderful ideas, plentiful time, and endless funds, why don't you?

Code wise, at this point it needs a complete rewrite.  The site's core is over 10 years old PHP code -- much of it depreciated.  I know you're not a coder, so let me put it plainly -- the code is so old a good portion of it will no longer be supported in the newest versions of PHP.  I've put out a few small fires due to this already.  PHP is such that webhosts generally won't run too old a version, its extraordinary insecure if unpatched.

So yeah.
I know its dumb replying to you.  You never really read what I type, only quote bits and pieces that serve your agenda.
I wish you the best of luck should you choose to go do your own thing; if you post here again about buying RWL or call the staff idiots (again) I'll ban you myself (as many others have wanted to do for a looong while).
Cheers.

Gen. Volkov

QuoteI expected as much from a poor sportsman like you who isn't even currently playing. I've beaten you constantly over the years, with my absence you can make a come back. Good luck Volkov, no hard feelings.

I was literally Emperor until I got tired of it. There is no "making a come back", you were in first because I stopped caring, the challenge was gone. Also, you are literally the worst sportsman I have ever met. You brag when you're winning, whine that the code is broken when you aren't, and constantly denigrate everyone you play with.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES