Memories of Redwall: Warlords

Started by Menatus, February 10, 2014, 02:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menatus

I'm not sure why, but every couple of years I return to this forum and browse previous posts I made. It's like a well preserved relic of my past. It has actually been over a decade at this point since I first came around here. Back in those days, I had a lot of internet friends - but a long time as passed and many years without using the internet in that type of way - and now I don't think I have retained any!

There are at least a few familiar screen names around here...Kilkenne, Shael, wolf bite, Ereptor, Volkov, Holby, Peace Alliance, Volkov, windhound, Ashyra, I don't know who else. I remember chatting with a lot outside of the forum with Ragefur and that Josh guy, who was really a creep.

I really like RWL in the beginning because there were cool clans with cool names...Sons of Delor, Ratimic's Tribe, etc. I don't think it's fun when people don't put the time and effort into making fun names and characters or you know...capitalizing.

Actually, now that I look back, I've made a post like this like three times every two years. Haha! What is it about this place? Apparently people used to like me, but looking at the old posts, I feel like I was just kind of annoying, especially when I made those "I'm leaving and never coming back!" posts, and popularity contests.

So, since RWL, I went to culinary school and I work as a professional chef, but I'm getting burnt out due to 60-70 hour work weeks, no time off or vacations, etc., so I'm planning on joining Peace Corps or finding some other way to travel and trying to leave the traditional lifestyle thing I have going on. I went to Italy, Spain and Mexico a few times, which only cemented my desire to travel. I got married and promptly divorced, and have had a few boyfriends since then but nothing serious. I don't draw anymore, but I still make websites and I play piano/accordion/ukelele in my free time. Recently I've been brewing beer and cider, too! I'm trying to figure out what I can make a website about, or blog about, or something that might be interesting to others and a project I can do around the globe. I guess we're all kind of interested in leaving a legacy, right?

Sharptooh

You probably don't remember me but I think I remember you're post from last time, weird how RWL is so memorable (coincidentally this is in fact my first post for a few months). It looks like a few people you recongnise are still hanging around, it seems quieter here than I can remember unfortunately.

I know what you mean about looking back at older posts and thinking how much of a douchebag you sound, I think most people have had at least one "I'm leaving" thread though, so it kind of evens out!

It's interesting that you make websites, I think a reasonable number of forum goers (the older ones anyway) are involved in this in some way or another, it's ended up being my chosen career.

Sounds like you've been up to a lot in a couple of years! Where abouts did you visit in Spain/Italy (if that's not too much to ask)?

windhound

Hey Menatus and Sharpy!

It is a bit quieter around here, but eh.  Is what it is.
The game was the most fun in the beginning because noone knew what they were doing and just sorta flailing around poking buttons.  Clan diplomacy was also a thing.  Once optimized down to a few workable strategies the game mechanics themselves get pretty repetitive.

Friend of mine from highschool did PeaceCorps right out of college, spent 2.5 years in Guatemala iirc.  Broke several bones and had a blast.

60-70 hour work weeks are pretty brutal, best of luck with the travel thing
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Menatus

Sharptooth - that's awesome! Honestly, I enjoy programming a lot. For some reason I never really saw it as a career possibility, probably because the industry is so fast changing. Though every time I decide to do a new project, it doesn't take me too long to figure out new code. I spent 3 months in Italy, living in Florence, but I spent what little money I had on train tickets to such places as Rome, Venice, Parma, Lucca, Siena, and a plane ticket to Barcelona, Spain.

Windhound - Yeah, I never quite figured out what I was doing in the game, so I guess that's why it was fun for me. I liked the clan diplomacy aspect a lot. That sounds awesome about PeaceCorps. I hear about a lot of experiences like that, and I hope (if I get accepted) I get sent to a place like Guatemala, since I'm fluent in Spanish.

For some reason, every now and then I wonder what Retto, Stormclaw and Ragefur are doing now. They disappeared, but without the random popping up that I do every few years. But I understand it.

Holby

Hi Tania! Great to hear from you, sounds like you've been super busy.

I can't believe you don't draw things anymore! I always liked your Ringo pictures.
I will not deleted this

Menatus

Yeah! Great to see some familiar faces. Well, read some familiar screennames. Yeah. Honestly, it's been since high school for drawing. I play a lot of music, though. Drawing was fun because you could do it in school, but I guess I ended up liking music more.

Gen. Volkov

It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Juska

120 days old? Psssh. I don't care.

I remember you Menatus. Also, I was going to make a remember when post about RWL and then I saw this thread, and didn't see the need to make a new one. I agree completely with Windhound (although the weird obnoxiously code changes didn't help - no offense....)

Also, I have a cool forum title thing here - which is half the reason I decided to post again.
Current Empires:

RtR: Juskabally #19

sxApolloxs

Im new but home to make some memories here