Push to make RWL popular again

Started by Drakus, May 28, 2014, 10:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakus

I hate to see the community on this site stagnate so much. We need to somehow make it more popular, at least around the ROC.

Part of the reason why most players don't stay is because the game is too complex; we can alleviate this by luring people first into the forums, then into the game itself.

We should be targeting popular Redwall sites like Redwall Wiki, Redwall Wars Wiki, etc...simply any Redwall forum. Just simple advertisement.

Let's try it out a bit.
meow

Shadow

It's a good idea if you already have ties to those sites. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know where to start ^_^.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Krowdon

I have a few accounts some places I can try a little advertising. I need to log back into some of them and make some friends but I can do that. It's easier to convince friends to play than it is strangers.
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Drakus

Remember to emphasize the forum, the game is very complex but the forum is a nice community.

We also could make this place a bit more Redwall-centric. Right now, there's very little to do with Redwall on this site (it's essentially a bunch of old friends talking about random stuff). If we are to recruit some more Redwall fans we need to increase the "Redwall activity".
meow

Krowdon

Quote from: Drakus on May 29, 2014, 03:33:19 PM
Remember to emphasize the forum, the game is very complex but the forum is a nice community.

We also could make this place a bit more Redwall-centric. Right now, there's very little to do with Redwall on this site (it's essentially a bunch of old friends talking about random stuff). If we are to recruit some more Redwall fans we need to increase the "Redwall activity".

Well then what would you suggest we do to increase the "Redwall Activity"
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Drakus

Quote from: Krowdon on May 29, 2014, 08:44:54 PM
Quote from: Drakus on May 29, 2014, 03:33:19 PM

Well then what would you suggest we do to increase the "Redwall Activity"

To be honest, I'm not really sure. The end goal would ideally be to make this forum as Redwall-centric as other ROC sites. I'm not sure how to actually proceed, or whether it is even possible, because people here talk about the things they like and not necessarily all about Redwall. That's the beauty of the forums, but it results in there being little to no activity and almost no new members.
meow

Krowdon

Well, then why don't we make it more about the people than Redwall. Make new members feel welcome and make ourselves less like cliques. When I join a new site, I always find it hard to get involved because everyone always has friends, so I just meet up with the other new people on the site.

A place like this where we already have our little groups and not a lot of new members, I can see it being difficult for new people to find people they wanna hang with. You feel me?

Twilight Shadow

Just an idea to put out there: Make it into an app for mobile devices and pcs. Idk could spike people for convience. just my idea on it to spike popularity. It would take a lot of work though.

Krowdon

That would take a lot of work though. I dont know if anyone has time for that.

windhound

Actually part of the RWL3 design was supposed to be a mobile interface -- part of the reason the menu was up top.  But Ollie wandered off and neither Shadow nor I appear to have the ambition to do it.
We've kinda run out of programmers to pass the torch to as well, there's a bunch that the game needs and unless Shads has some free time it's somewhat unlikely to get done. 

The most RWL-ish part of the site is the RP section, we used to get newbies every month or two try to start something there but nothing ever really came of it.
The vast majority of ROC sites are abandoned now afaik, Terrouge was one of the biggest and it poofed years ago.  The base is about gone, Jacques passing didn't help that any.

FAF tried rebranding before disbanding, didn't really help.

And I'm not real sure, but it seems like the popularity of internet forums in general is dying out.  People are finding something else to do online.  Maybe Reddit is absorbing some of the smaller forums as subreddits or something?

That said, if yall can think of ways to drum up activity have at it.
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Shadow

I could be convinced to do some code work if I knew what the game needed. Other than a few bug fixes that have cropped up, what else is there?

Vulpes Jarr

I joined because of the game, before you had to be on the forums.
The game will be the biggest draw.

Krowdon

Quote from: Vulpes Jarr on June 03, 2014, 08:59:42 AM
I joined because of the game, before you had to be on the forums.
The game will be the biggest draw.

I was the same way, but joined the forum once I wanted to get more involved (and I had my dads permission because it was middle school)

Drakus

Quote from: windhound on June 02, 2014, 11:29:16 PM
Actually part of the RWL3 design was supposed to be a mobile interface -- part of the reason the menu was up top.  But Ollie wandered off and neither Shadow nor I appear to have the ambition to do it.
We've kinda run out of programmers to pass the torch to as well, there's a bunch that the game needs and unless Shads has some free time it's somewhat unlikely to get done. 

The most RWL-ish part of the site is the RP section, we used to get newbies every month or two try to start something there but nothing ever really came of it.
The vast majority of ROC sites are abandoned now afaik, Terrouge was one of the biggest and it poofed years ago.  The base is about gone, Jacques passing didn't help that any.

FAF tried rebranding before disbanding, didn't really help.

And I'm not real sure, but it seems like the popularity of internet forums in general is dying out.  People are finding something else to do online.  Maybe Reddit is absorbing some of the smaller forums as subreddits or something?

That said, if yall can think of ways to drum up activity have at it.

Redwall is pretty old, and it appeals to a very select number of people only.

Vulpes is right in that the game is the biggest draw (since internet forums are indeed losing popularity). The game needs serious reworking—it's complex, no graphics, text based, and no playerbase to speak of.

If possible, a good, long project would be to create an entirely new game and feature it here (along with the classic reg and turbo).
meow

Shadow

Sorry Drakus, I'm a fairly competent procedural coder (ie, I can code maths) but making a game from scratch would be beyond me even if I had the time to invest.