Watch for broken stuff

Started by The Lady Shael, July 23, 2014, 11:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lady Shael

I'm doing some major code refactoring in the RWL baseline (it's over 12 years old...it's way overdue). It's going pretty okay but I'm doing it little by little to make sure stuff doesn't get horribly broken.

Speaking of horribly broken, I just refactored a file that could cause some horrible breakage (the file that handles actions on a timer, like giving out turns, updating networth, emp tracking, etc). It's a lot of stuff and I did some preliminary testing to make sure that the file completes, but it'll take me a while to verify that everything being done was successful. So I will need everyone's help with this. If you see anything that is broken, please let me know immediately.

Thanks for your patience. =)
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Shadow

thanks shael!

I'm back now and I'm always more motivated to write code when others are, so if I can help let me know.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Gen. Volkov

So yeah, Turbo is horribly broken. It still shows me as logged on, and I haven't gotten turns since I ran this morning, around 3 AM.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

The Lady Shael

Okay, I think I fixed it. Turns are coming now, at least. Let me know if anything else seems weird.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Gen. Volkov

It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Gen. Volkov

It seems kind of random when I get turns. I was at full, so I ran, and by the time I was done, 10 minutes had gone by and I got turns, and then I waited another 10 minutes, and I didn't get turns. Also, I can't sell anything on mercs.

Gen. Volkov

Still can't sell anything on mercs. Have full turns though.

Vulpes Jarr

Gen. Volkov

Mercs still are not working. No new troops to buy are being generated, and you can't sell troops again once you've sold them.

Wolf Snare

Kyle do you have any idea what could be causing this mercs issue? It's got me at a standstill in game and I don't think Shael's been on the last few days. Please poke around if you feel comfortable. Thanks!
1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. The Grand Optimist (#12)
1. Beast Mode (#7)

Shadow

I know where in the code that particular line is, but I know Shael's doing some reworking of the code-base and moving to a version control system. I don't know the details fully yet so I'm hesitant to mess with it before she says she's done.

I can try to figure out the new system this evening and see if I can find it, though. I'll have to learn it eventually anyway ^_^.

Update: I have the verson control system downloaded and the code in place. I will test some small change to see if I break anything and I will see if I can find out my mercs is broken when I'm confident I won't break things worse.

update 2: shael has been very busy - the turns script is now using an object oriented approach which I am unfamiliar with. It will take me a little while to parse through it. Bear with me. At first glance I can't see why it's not working, I can't see anything obviously out of place...

That being said, the new code looks beautiful and shael should be thanked profusely for doing it. Holy hell.

Update 3: found the problem, no idea how to fix it. Will try things at random. Stay tuned.

Shadow

The bug should be fixed. Please confirm.

Gen. Volkov

It appears to be fixed, thanks Shadow!

Also, thanks Shael for updating the code!

Wolf Snare

Thanks guys! The landfarm hasn't attempted scouting in the last 24 hours at least, can someone look into it please?
1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. Beast Mode (#7)

Wolf Snare

I sent him resources to get his butt moving again but still no sign of life...
1. Fire Bringer (#22)
1. Jaturungkabart (#12)
1. Estranged (#50)
1. Fierce Deity (#17) 
1. bored... (#98)
1. Versace (#24)
1. Noah Calhoun (#10)
1. Day Old Hate (#7)
1. Beast Mode (#7)