Previous topic - Next topic

Apple vs. Droid

Apple
3 (37.5%)
Android
5 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Vulpes Jarr

Gotta go android. Apple ties you down to their system, but Android gives you options.
http://www.businessinsider.com/android-phones-versus-iphone-2015-1?op=1

windhound

I'm in the Apple camp...  but I run macs anyways, so I've already bought into their system. 
(Macs are certified UNIX systems with commercial software support, 's pretty neat)

I've got a iPhone 4s as Tracfone's BYOP program is limited to 3G phones, but it's a really decent little device.  Haven't had any real issues with it.  Apple has kept it updated to the newest IOS, unlike the vast majority of Android phones which almost never get updated from the version of Android they shipped with. 
https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html?utm_source=suzunone

The phone carriers control Android upgrades, and the carriers would rather you get a new phone over getting a free OS upgrade. 
Apple controls IOS updates, so if your phone is new enough to support it they push out the new version. 
I believe there's a fairly major Android vulnerability in one of the older versions, Google refuses to patch it and the carriers aren't interested in providing the newer, fixed Android version to those older phones.  It's pretty sucky. 

I was looking at replacing my 4th gen iPod touch with an Android based device, but noone sold one with the newest Android.  Samsung (iirc?) has iPod touch like devices, but they were shipping frikken 3 year old Android.  On brand new devices. 

Some of the criticism in that article you linked is fair enough, some of it kinda silly, and other parts wrong. 
ie, you do need iPhoto on a Mac to access the photos on the phone, but in Windows (which most users will have) it lets you use Explorer. 
Last I checked Google's flagship phones lacked both MicroSD slots and removable batteries...  and unfortunately that's becoming more and more common. 
The website thing is kind of a weird one, if I want an app on my phone I use the app store...  on my phone. 

So I mean...  lol. 
There are some legitimate reasons to prefer one over the other, but for that link someone just wanted to write a quick article after reading an Android press release and garbled a few features together. 
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Vulpes Jarr

Yeah, I agree that the article isn't the best, but he does make some pretty good points.
I have a Google Phone, and it does NOT have a micro SD card. Kinda stinks, because I have the memory full already... But considering the price of an Apple to an Google phone, you save a whole lotta moneys.

Shadow

Can I dislike both? I dislike both. My current phone is android but I really would rather Ubuntu.

Honestly all I use my phone for is to call and text people, do the idea of an operating system at all is fairly unnecessary. I could do without.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

windhound

You know they still make dumb phones Shads, I was using one till late last year. 
It was a Samsung, and other than an idiotic feature that dials emergency services if two certain keys are pressed (even with keypad locked!) it was a good little phone.  I killed it by sending it through the washing machine, but it still managed to turn on long enough for me to get all my stuff off via usb cable. 

I bought my used iPhone 4s for $135 off eBay last year, and I'm using it with Tracfone's service so it's dirt cheap to operate. 
And price wise it seems like the majority of people in the US buy carrier-subsidized phones so it doesn't matter a whole lot anyways. 
/shrug.

The lock-in stuff I get, and it's irritating to deal with the iTunes 'sync' mess. 
But otherwise, meh. 
A Goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds...  so do I
~ In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded ~
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Gen. Volkov

I don't buy Apple products, because they are almost identical to their Android/PC counterparts. You are just paying like 200 dollars extra for a brand name. I've had an LG smartphone for 2 years now, it's 4G (though it wasn't the latest generation of phone when I got it) and it still works fine. It has a removable battery and a Micro SD card. I got it for like 200 bucks I think. I've only had one minor issue with it, the WiFi radio broke, but my plan has unlimited data, so I don't care. My plan is dirt cheap too, unlimited everything for 30 bucks a month. Oh, and I've gotten several updates for the Android OS on it. Maybe T-Mobile is less stingy about that?
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES